Low Performance on TD4 Especially Uphill

zimaria

Having looked at part number LR023043 in Google Maps it appears to be a remote pump assembly unit (i.e. secondary LP pump under-bonnet).

The TD4 2006 (Freelander 1) does not have a secondary LP pump but only the primary LP pump (under the rear wheel arch) and that's the pump I am interested in.

Am I missing something here as the Land Rover dealer, Land Rover direct and other normally reliable source of information are providing either LR023043 or WQB000020?

When I changed the fuel filter I remember seeing the pump and it does not bear any resemblence to LR023043 or WQB000020.

It appears that the pump has changed depending on the TD4 model / year.

I wish I had taken a picture of the pump but can't do it now as the vehicle is in the Caribbean and I am in the UK at the moment.

If all fails, I may just try to get a picture somewhere to assist in identifying the part number.

FridgeFreeze, many thanks nontheless and apologies for this ping-pong back-and-forth.

Western, brilliant!!!!

Looking at the second link http://www.numcat.ru...ver/p/37/48195/ it appears that this is the pump I am looking for.

The compartment consist of: the Сепаратор, fuel pump and fuel filter labelled (2), (3) and (4) respectively in the diagram.

In order to be definitely sure do you know whether the Сепаратор (non English word) is the sediment filter (also known as the separator)?

I have gone back to the link above and after doing some research I realise that a TRANSLATE can be done on the diagram to translate

the wording from Russian to English. And hey presto, Сепаратор is indeed the separator!

This confirms that the pump is the correct one.

Even if I am not sure what the part number is I can now approach the LR dealer with the diagram.

Western, you've made my day. Many many thanks mate.

• 2 months later...

Thanks everyone who contributed to this post, especially FridgeFreezer, Kiwi_110, Nickcc & Western.

I am now in the Caribbean and would like to provide feedback.

I had the PCV and EGR cleaned as both were dirty.

Having changed the LP lift pump the starting and performance problems are now resolved.

The vehicle seems to be very responsive, performing well across the rev ranges and now for the first time goes uphill in 3rd gear.

But the fuel consumption seems to have increased.

From the reading I have done it appears the faults below are possible culprits:

a) MAF sensor producing too high a signal and overfuelling the engine;

(Eliminated this option as no exhaust doe smell of diesel and be stable)

(Decided against disconnecting MAF and test drive as performance below 2000 rpm is fine)

b) Fuel Rail Pressure sensor;

(Eliminate this option as engine starts, has good power and goes above 70 mph)

c) Turbo Boost solenoid.

(I am thinking this is the most likely culprit as someone here had performance issues which was cured by changing the LP pump and although the performance improved the

fuel consumption increased. Like me the diagnostic test tool picked up a fault code of P1260 and upon changing the boost solenoid the problem was resolved).

In addition, the boost solenoid cost £35 and is much cheaper than the fuel rail pressure sensor or the MAF sensor.

Can anyone tell me whether I am right in my approach or are there more options worthy of consideration?

Boost solenoid is an air valve that lets vacuum through from the brake servo to move a lever on the turbo, the little vacuum pipe runs across the top of the engine - ends can split and the pipe can rub through (mine had), it's easily replaced and costs less than £35.

You can also steal the EGR solenoid as it's the same part, if your EGR is blanked off you could swap the two solenoids to see if that works.

It's a week now since the new LP pump was installed but now I am realising that there are other problems.

Although the performance has much improved the hard start is still there as well as the high fuel consumption.

I am going to see my mechanic this week and as money is tigh we wll carry out some tests before buying any

new parts. I have selected the components below for test as I think are the most likely cause of high fuel

consumption and are easy to test:

a) turbo boost solenoid, see link for test

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f9/td4-lack-power-70mph-fixed-77147.html

b) MAF sensor, see link for test

http://tuning-diesels.com/Synergy/FAULT%20DIAGNOSIS.pdf

I am seeking advice on the folloiwng:

1) Are there any other components that ought to be tested for high fuel consumption?

2) What components are mostly the cause of hard starts;

3) Fault codes P1260 and P1E25 were read when vehicle last attached to the diagnostic tool. What do these codes mean?

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello everyone, I am about to return to the Caribbean but the problems of a hard start is still there as well as the high fuel consumption. The glow plug does not come on when starting and this may be due to the hot weather.

Does anyone know what may be the cause of :

1) The hard start

2) High Fuel Consumption