Discovery 2 - The Three Amigoes

I don't know how many people on the forum have a Discovery 2 but the problem with the three lights on the dashboard seems to affect every owner eventually.

I've had intermittant faults with the ABS system for about the last three years, but up until recently, it has always been one of the wheel hub's going bad. Over the last few months the warning lights on the dash have been coming on and going out totaly at random. I thought another wheel bearing was starting to go again but this time they were all O.K.

These last few weeks the warning lights have been on constantly so I had a friend in the motor trade read the codes and, just as I suspected, the fault did not lie in the axels but in the ABS unit under the bonnet. The two faults listed were Shuttle Valve Switch - Long Term Failure and Shuttle Valve - Electrical Failure.

After a search I found http://www.landroverclubvi.com/abs-mod.html . I was a little unsure at first as to whether such a simple (Option 2) fix would solve the problem but, with nothing to loose, I gave it a go yesterday. Two hours later I turned on the ignition key, and after the initial check, all the lights on the dash went out! Took the car for a test drive and everything is working as it should do - ABS and traction control are back, I havn't been able to test the HDC (it never gets used) but it should be fine. All for the cost of my time and about £1's worth of wire and connectors. (A new ABS unit is approx. £1400)

This won't mean a lot to those who have never had to stare at those dam lights on the dash and listen to the bong, bong, bong of the warning buzzer all the time but it might just help somebody here in the future.

Peter.

Edited by western
REFER TO NEW LINK BELOW

• 1 year later...