ls3 conversion

I'm putting in a ls3 v8 on my discovery 200, I'm getting mixed messages from people saying the t230 transfer box will handle or won't handle roughly 500bhp? and the same answer with the axles?

can anyone give me some advice without laughing at me for putting in a ls3 on a discovery.

many thanks

ill post pics of the rebuild if people want no probs.

cheers all

chris

As stated in your other thread on the same subject (http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=95829#entry832778) it largely depends what you are going to use it for

thanks for this lewis, i couldn't seem to find my last post hence me starting another. ill be using it for road use and sometimes rallying. id like it to be able to take some stick when the times call for it if that makes sense.

As stated above the LT230 is man enough. Ashcroft can sort your axles. The weak link is the gearbox. What are you planning for that?

A big factor is how you drive it as well. It's amazing how much drive trains will take if driven with a little finesse and mechanical sympathy.. 500hp could break anything if driven badly, eg keeping your foot in it while catching some air etc..

As stated above the LT230 is man enough. Ashcroft can sort your axles. The weak link is the gearbox. What are you planning for that?

A big factor is how you drive it as well. It's amazing how much drive trains will take if driven with a little finesse and mechanical sympathy.. 500hp could break anything if driven badly, eg keeping your foot in it while catching some air etc..

ill be fitting the Chevrolet Camaro 6l80e gearbox its a 6 speed transmission, it will probably have 235.70.r16 mud tyres

I think you want the 6L80e from a 4x4 variant and not a 2WD vehicle (output shaft longer) [but then you may be able to change that... not sure...]

There is an adapter kit available via defendersource forum (user: nmarkiw )

rob

yeah the only difference is the nose cone on the back of the gearbox which just unbolts.

I'm putting in a ls3 v8 on my discovery 200, I'm getting mixed messages from people saying the t230 transfer box will handle or won't handle roughly 500bhp? and the same answer with the axles?

can anyone give me some advice without laughing at me for putting in a ls3 on a discovery.

many thanks

ill post pics of the rebuild if people want no probs.

cheers all

chris

The LT230 should cope fine with 500BHP

+1 for a build thread. will be following with interest!

It currently resides in Finland after we got fed up with it.

The Land Rover bits on it, off the top of my head: middle bit of the chassis, radius arms, indicator/wiper stalks, originally the seats, the brake booster, the LT230. I think that's about it :ph34r: