Universal joints - propshaft

Just bought 2 x nice shiny GKN Universal Joints for my rear propshaft, notice they don't have grease nipples. Going to ring the supplier on Monday and check if this is correct!

All the ones on the usual online auction site has grease nipples where my current ones are on the prop, strange!

Guess they can't be sealed and I have been provided with the wrong UJ???

Help gratefully received.

Jon

Jon, a big boy with big answers will be along shortly, but it used to be that Landie UJ's without grease nipples were for the joint between half shaft and stub axle on series 3 front axles. These didnt require greasing because the uj was bathed in oil. It used to be a common mistake to put greasable one in the axle and have fracture failure through the hole where the nipple should go.

Im not sure if later models came with sealed for life, but I cant think of any up to 1994. I would certainly replace them with greasable types.

Yes these are Hardy Spicer, said they were GKN since it says this on the back and couldnt remember what the brand name was.

These were from MM4x4 in Worcester, how did you tell they were copies?

Guess the correct ones should have grease nipples?

I suppose you could fit the 'sealed for life' ones, though I don't think the 'life' will be very long. I notice that some track rod ends come with grease nipples and some don't as well. We always try to fit the greasable ones. I reckon this is more important with UJ's ESPECIALLY the front one next to the transfer box because it gets the hardest life and fails the most often if not greased regularly.

Which reminds me to get out the grease gun... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help guys, think I will go back to basics...

For anyone with a EPC out there:

The LR part number on the Hardy Spicer box shows RTC3458G, is this correct for 1993 200TDi Defender 90 (JAxxx VIN number) for the rear prop?

Guess either way it looks like another trip to Worcester on Saturday.

Jon

Thanks for the help guys, think I will go back to basics...

For anyone with a EPC out there:

The LR part number on the Hardy Spicer box shows RTC3458G, is this correct for 1993 200TDi Defender 90 (JAxxx VIN number) for the rear prop?

Jon

Yes RTC3458 is correct :D for 90 rear prop both ends. :i-m_so_happy:

GKN’s definitely have grease nipples ………. I have two new GKN’s in boxes here. The correct place for the nip is to face inboard from the flange (ooooer….. I like that sentence :ph34r: )

Certainty for 90’s up to TD5 there were only two types ……. they are the same diameter but one is 7.62mm longer (in both directions) than the other. Rarely will you find them mixed on the same prop, but often the front can differ from the rear.

:)

Ian

Jon

I've a hardy spicer sitting here for my 91 200tdi. No LR part number on it, but it has HS195 on the box.

Has nipples too :)

Just swapped them for Hardy Spicer Heavy Duty ones "coresponding to TUC100010" which now have grease nipples. Apparently the "normal" ones are now sealed and don't need greasing! Guess these are for propshafts that are used to go to the shop once per week and the hardest stress they face is a speed bump?

So if you want grease nipples and hence want to extend the life of the UJ you need to ask for the heavy duty ones.

Without being too cynical, has anyone used the "sealed for life no grease nipple required" ones?