Freelander Knocking Noise

schuee

Hello All,

This may have been discussed on previous posts though for the last few months, and probably the case that there are a few more pots holes scattered about at the moment, I have noticed at low speed say below 20 mph that over pot holes and sleeping policemen I experience a loud metalic knock which I can feel through the pedals, and seems to be more concentrated on the drivers side. it has been into an independant garage twice and they cannot find any problems.

The last couple of days, it may be connected or not, I have noticed when motorway driving that when I press then let of the accelerator there is a loud knock from the front underneath, feels like something is moving so creates a knocking noise someone mentioned it maybe a cv joint, now I know only a little regarding the black magic of the Freelanders working and not so :rolleyes: so I'm up for any help and advise from any battle hardened Hippo drivers :D

Cheers

Keith

Rear diff mounting bushes are rubbish and quite often fail. The knock they make sounds like it's coming from the front of the car.

Rear diff nose bearing on the early models was rubbish as well and make a metallic knock when power is applied/released suddenly.

Les.

sound like the rear subframe Mount gone to me.

drivers side front bolt mount.

see if it will move when the rear wheels are raised by inserting a long bar between the suframe and chassis,

if it moves then the chassis has split and the captive mut is lose causing a knocking sound when on bumps etc.

hope this helps

sound like the rear subframe Mount gone to me.

drivers side front bolt mount.

see if it will move when the rear wheels are raised by inserting a long bar between the suframe and chassis,

if it moves then the chassis has split and the captive mut is lose causing a knocking sound when on bumps etc.

hope this helps

Probably caused by a currently / previously knackered VCU. It seems that when the VCU is shot it puts undue stress on this bolt and 'tears' the steel in the chassis leg. Its a fairly easy repair if you have access to a welder. Mine also has this probelm but someone has bodged it before I got it and welded the subframe to the chassis leg so that will need sorted out soon as I have fitted a recon VCU and neww diff bushes.

Gaz

Although the "freelander clonk" is usually the rear diff bushes, if you can feel it that clearly from the front and not the rear I would doubt it's that. I'd look at the engine/transmission mounts, perhaps download the RAVE manuals from the tech archive and go over the various bushes and things at the front end.

Although the "freelander clonk" is usually the rear diff bushes, if you can feel it that clearly from the front and not the rear I would doubt it's that. I'd look at the engine/transmission mounts, perhaps download the RAVE manuals from the tech archive and go over the various bushes and things at the front end.

Thanks for the reply, so the "Freelander clonk" is a common occurence?

Have got the RAVE manual, will have a look today,

Cheers

Keith

If it's definitely the front I would check the anti-roll bar bushes first

Just had both anti roll bar link arms replaced Tim when this started a while ago, though the noise wasn't so bad then though has become progressively worse over a period of time, just had a look at the LH engine mount and I can physically get my finger inside the rubber, I would say this is not right though I'm no mechanic.

Thanks Keith

Is that into an intentionally present void in the rubber (moulded in) or because it's dead knackered?

Not sure, it could be dead knackered will pop down to the garage later and see what they think.

Could try looking up the part on Brit-car / LR-series website see what the photo looks like.

Well the head honcho had a look at it, and it looks normal according to him they came out for a test drive with me this morning and they think it may be either the lower engine stay, or as you had suggested earlier in the post the rear diff bush's.

So the old hippo is going in on Monday for a checkup from the ground up.

Cheers

Keith

Had a new track rod end fitted and rear diff bush's yesterday, and now the knocking noise whilst travelling at low speed has gone, the other noise whilst accelerating and decelarating is still apparent though not as bad as it has been, will keep my eye on this.

Thanks everyone for all your advise and help :D :D

Cheers

Keith

• 9 years later...

When I ran mine in 2WD for a while the rear lower engine mount disintegrated - it's only there to stop the thing rocking back & forward on acceleration/deceleration and it's easy to change, can cause a knock.

Also front anti-roll bar links like to clonk over bumps after a very short time, even genuine ones. Again, easy job to change them and cheap part.