Inidcators dont cancel

2002MY TD5 110 Station wagon.

The indicators dont cancel very often (er probably not at all). is it the blue plastic collar behind the steering wheel that needs replacing or should I fit a buzzer/LED in line of sight that shows when indicators are flashing as opposed to letting other drivers wave and flash at me (Hmm thought they must all have defenders, because they were such a friendly lot waving and flashing at me!!)

I do try and remember to manually cancel them, honest..

2002MY TD5 110 Station wagon.

The indicators dont cancel very often (er probably not at all). is it the blue plastic collar behind the steering wheel that needs replacing or should I fit a buzzer/LED in line of sight that shows when indicators are flashing as opposed to letting other drivers wave and flash at me (Hmm thought they must all have defenders, because they were such a friendly lot waving and flashing at me!!)

I do try and remember to manually cancel them, honest..

Normally it's the blue collar that cancels the indicators. It could be just a simple case of misalignement.

Fitting a buzzer/LED should not be necessary in any case, because there is an indicatorlight and sound in the dashboard. ;)

Fitting a buzzer/LED should not be necessary in any case, because there is an indicatorlight and sound in the dashboard. ;)

Hmm, for some of us who are normal sized (2m or 6'6") the lights at the base of the dash are not in easy sight, for smaller people it may be in good line of sight.... :P

mine did the same, i just replaced the switch unit - it was about a 30 minute job. Just take note that the plugs are different between models - I think they changed them between 200tdi and 300tdi - but the wires are same colour so you can cut and splice the old plug onto the new unit.

Ever since getting my 90 I've had trouble with my indicators canceling too early or not canceling atall. I spent hours messing with the blue (white on mine) collar to no avail. Finally I changed the indicator unit and it was still the same.

I still havent solved it, I just have to hold the indicator right as I approach a turn then once I turn I let go and it wont cancel then!!!! have to put it off myself!! Pain in the ass

Is it cancelling ok in one direction but not the other or is it not cancelling at all?

Have you had the tracking adjusted or replaced the TRE's as if so, the raised section on the column may have moved around and be off-centre? You centralise this by adjusting the steering-rod between the drop-arm and the N/S wheel, after that you just re-locate the wheel so it is straight and the lugs lfit into the blue coller in the central position.

"but I think its a fairly common Defender thing.. both directions dont cancel."

Well it isn't really, only if something is broken or it isn't adjusted correctly.

As it doesn't cancel in either direction I would suggest that the cancelling lug is broken/missing, the lugs on the rear of the wheel are missing/not engaging or the switch itself is broken.

It is not unknown for then not to cancel in one direction but as I say, 9 times out of 10 that is just down to adjustment which is quite quick & easy to rectify.

These instructions were shared with me by Larns

"The self cancelling in one direction is often because whoever refitted the steering wheel last did not centralise the self cancel switch.

Pull the wheel off and you'll see the blue ring that the striker on the steering wheel locates into.

Push the indicator stalk into one of the directions(dosn't matter which one).

Now turn the blue ring in that direction untill you feel it "click" the indicator stalk.

Now if you turn it back the other direction the stalk should cancel.

Try this the other direction, if it dosn't cancel within the same amount of movement then the ring reeds to be turned 180.

When you have an equal amount of movement before they self cancel, ensure the notches in the blue ring are vertical an carefully refit the steering wheel so that the striker fingers slot into the ring.

If none of this workes then your indicator stalk is ratted an you need a rew one.

Hope this helps, I've done this to dozens of 110's that wouldn't self cancel to fix the problem"

Full post here: Australian LandRover Owners Forum

• 1 month later...

After another embarrasing moment today, I finally did something about the lack of lights when indicating.

Halfrauds do 6mm LED's that can be mounte din a 6mm hole, so tapped off the indicator tell-tale lights..

They are much brighter so put an interrupt in the earth for the light return so I can turn them off at night..

post-1003-1211651706_thumb.jpg

still think you should check the metal cancel ring on the other side of the steering heel, maybe the 2 prongs have broken off.

They cancel around 75% of the time, and I notice it 20% if the time, and the other 5% ....

Ring is present and correct and engaged in blue plastic thing which was replaced with switch about 5 months ago.

• 13 years later...

Simple fix, the yellow ring under the steering wheel (you need to take the wheel of first to see it) has a slot top and bottom which engages with the steering wheel tabs to cancel the indication, however if this is sited wrong then it does not work. To fix just ensure that the yellow ring is sitting with the slots top and bottom and that the tab on the side of the ring (there is only one) is on the left. Most people do not realise that there is a tab and this is were the problem arises.