Road Tax

Apparently there were changes in the budget relevant to Td5 Defenders.

My 110 Hard Top is registered PLG Private Light Goods. I was recently advised by a dealer "ALL" Land Rovers are PLG and so would not be affected by increases in Road Tax for large cars (gas guzzlers). I have recently renewed my Road Tax for £180.

I think I read the changes were to be introduced April 2009 in another thread but no indication what the changes are.

Can anyone help?

MINESAPINT

Apparently there were changes in the budget relevant to Td5 Defenders.

My 110 Hard Top is registered PLG Private Light Goods. I was recently advised by a dealer "ALL" Land Rovers are PLG and so would not be affected by increases in Road Tax for large cars (gas guzzlers). I have recently renewed my Road Tax for £180.

I think I read the changes were to be introduced April 2009 in another thread but no indication what the changes are.

Can anyone help?

MINESAPINT

take a look at:

ved charges 2008 - 2011

I've just done this and would of took more notice if i'd known someone would ask....

Think it was £185 for older type landies due to their engine size. (£180 last year)

For vehicles newer than a certain age and i think that was 2001 but don't quote me, The car tax is worked out on emisions. The worst band is a band G which was about £400. :ph34r:

That reminds me ... Soooooooooo pleased i didn't trade my 200tdi for a nice shiney new one.

Have a look at the top table on here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ownin...cle/DG_10012524

Engine size (cc) 12 months rate 6 months rate

Over 1549 £185.00 £101.75

This is for Private/light goods (TC11)

I have just converted mine from Disabled to P/LG and paid £185

If it was registered on or after 1 March 2001, you need to check the second table down.

/Mad

Thanks Madcowz,

Sorry if I am being a bit thick.

The way I read it now is that from 2001 the PLG (TC11) category has been replaced with the Co2 emissions for cars table?

Vehicles registered before 2001 (as mine was) will continue to attract the TC11 rate depending on engine size?

If I was to replace my Td5 with a new model 110 hard top it would attract the appropriate rate from the second table?

Does anyone know what this rate is?

Any more questions?

MINESAPINT

The way I read it now is that from 2001 the PLG (TC11) category has been replaced with the Co2 emissions for cars table?

Yes

Vehicles registered before 2001 (as mine was) will continue to attract the TC11 rate depending on engine size?

Yes, until our wonderful government needs to fund another pointless war and sees us as an easy target.

If I was to replace my Td5 with a new model 110 hard top it would attract the appropriate rate from the second table?

if it was registered on or after 1 March 2001

It should be written on your MOT cert (I think, or is it the V5. I can't remember). I have read that it is: 295g/km which makes it band G

MINESAPINT

If you buy a hardtop you don't pay according to the emissions, like a station wagon. You pay a flat fee as a light goods vehicle. (there is no emission data on my log book - 2007 county hard top)

So a new 110 hardtop will not be in band G paying £400 plus, it should be £180. :)

You can drive almost for free over there ......

Here in Holland you pay around 1400 pounds a year for a 110 stationwagon diesel...

So??? We get royally shafted on just about everything else...like fuel duty!

You can drive almost for free over there ......

Here in Holland you pay around 1400 pounds a year for a 110 stationwagon diesel...

The thing is, when you bought your 110 stationwagon diesel in Holland, you knew in advance what tax bracket it fell into. In the UK the chancellor has just changed the tax brackets for vehicles producing more CO2, which we all thought would stay the same as, or similar to, when we bought them. In my case, from £210 this year to £400 next year and £440 the following year - and who knows where next? More than double.

In Holland you may pay less fuel duty, income tax, have more viable public transport options etc. In the UK we seem to get hit with higher taxes and have little option but to pay them.

Chris

Thanks for replies guys,

Clear as MUD!

When I said change my Td5 110 for a new model I meant brand new 08 reg and was wondering what rate of road tax it would attract.

Top90 says his is £180 for Private/Light goods so the Private/Light goods rates are not superseeded with the emissions table for cars for vehicles registered after March 2001.

Hard Top Land Rovers still attract the more reasonable PLG rate? £180 or £185 PA

Any more offers?

MINESAPINT

Can we just clear another thing up while we are on.

The independent Land Rover dealer who recently told me confidently "ALL LAND ROVERS ARE REGISTERED PRIVATE/LIGHT GOODS" and so attract the reduced rate of road tax was (put politely) pulling my leg?

MINESAPINT

Thanks for replies guys,

Clear as MUD!

When I said change my Td5 110 for a new model I meant brand new 08 reg and was wondering what rate of road tax it would attract.

Top90 says his is £180 for Private/Light goods so the Private/Light goods rates are not superseeded with the emissions table for cars for vehicles registered after March 2001.

Hard Top Land Rovers still attract the more reasonable PLG rate? £180 or £185 PA

Any more offers?

MINESAPINT

Thats how it reads on the dvla website - plg = £185, LG = £180

Makes me think that the conversion of hard top to windows in the side and or seats may result in the mot man reporting you and a new tax bracket becoming due .... I can just see it coming - no sir its no longer a PLG - its now a gas guzzling chelsea tractor ! :o

The taxation class (in a hardtop N1) cannot be removed, I am having this problem with vans converted to disabled access minibuses. They are N1 and the DVLA says there is not way to change them. Not even by SVA! The description can be changed, such as to minibus or disabled passenger vehicle but it will still be N1 class.... so a hardtop may always be a hardtop no matter what you do to it.

Side windows anyone? :)

Can we just clear another thing up while we are on.

The independent Land Rover dealer who recently told me confidently "ALL LAND ROVERS ARE REGISTERED PRIVATE/LIGHT GOODS" and so attract the reduced rate of road tax was (put politely) pulling my leg?

MINESAPINT

Yes, he is. Station wagon Defenders are taxed as diesel cars. So are all currently in the top G band.

They all USED to be private/light goods but that does not exist for new vehicles. They are now light goods (commercials) or diesel cars (stationwagons) from new.

There is no private/light goods catagory now, unless your vehicle is already in it from years ago.

Thanks for replies guys,

Clear as MUD!

1. When I said change my Td5 110 for a new model I meant brand new 08 reg and was wondering what rate of road tax it would attract.

2. Top90 says his is £180 for Private/Light goods so the Private/Light goods rates are not superseeded with the emissions table for cars for vehicles registered after March 2001.

3. Hard Top Land Rovers still attract the more reasonable PLG rate? £180 or £185 PA

Any more offers?

MINESAPINT

1. Light Goods - £180

2. No, I said it was light goods, not Private/Light goods. ;) Mine has no emission info on log book like cars(or station wagons) which are taxed on emmisions.

3. Yes, Light Goods (not PLG) £180 PA :D

If in doubt ask a dealer, they put the first years tax on so will be 1000% sure of how much it costs...

Also you will not regret changing it. After 5 months and 8,000 miles I am still surprised by how much better the new design is for everyday use. My Td5 was from Oct 05 by comparison. The Air-con works! the side windows demist, the seats are comfy, cruising at 70mph is easy/relaxed etc.. etc.....

Thanks Top90,

The penny is dropping.

The Private/Light goods class has been replaced with the Light Goods Commercial class but if my vehicle is Private/Light goods (which it is) it will remain so.

If I buy a brand new Defender Hard Top it will be in the new class Light Goods Commercial.

In both cases I will pay the more favourable rates for road fund licence.

Now the side windows issue:

I believe this is relevant (or certainly used to be) when a farmer (or other vat registered person) buys a Hard Top & claims the vat back. He then adds side windows. He then receives a routine visit from the VAT person who notices windows in the Land Rover. The vehicle now no longer qualifies to have the vat reclaimed as a commercial vehicle and the vat person claims the vat back again?

MINESAPINT

Thanks Top90,

The penny is dropping.

The Private/Light goods class has been replaced with the Light Goods Commercial class but if my vehicle is Private/Light goods (which it is) it will remain so.

If I buy a brand new Defender Hard Top it will be in the new class Light Goods Commercial.

In both cases I will pay the more favourable rates for road fund licence.

Now the side windows issue:

I believe this is relevant (or certainly used to be) when a farmer (or other vat registered person) buys a Hard Top & claims the vat back. He then adds side windows. He then receives a routine visit from the VAT person who notices windows in the Land Rover. The vehicle now no longer qualifies to have the vat reclaimed as a commercial vehicle and the vat person claims the vat back again?

MINESAPINT

Exactly. :)

Sidewindows, I am not so sure on this, but from my understanding you have to wait two years (or so I was told) to fit the side windows otherwise the friendly VAT man waits his £3,500 back.

EDITED BECAUSE Having just looked it would seem that if you convert by fitting seats or side windows at any time you then have to pay back VAT on the value of the vehicle at that moment, not on it's new price. Additionally you can claim the VAT back on the parts to convert it, such as the seats/sidewindows.

But I am happy to be corrected on this.

Richard

Does that mean you cannot have a station wagon as a commercial (PLG)?

If you mean a new one then I would have thought so, as the log book will state 'Taxation class: diesel car' and will show the emission info to put you in the expensive band.

• 1 year later...
Does that mean you cannot have a station wagon as a commercial (PLG)?

i think there is a way you can buy a 110 with 5 seats and have the LGV tax band as there was something in land rover owner international pricing guide.