• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 selectcase

selectcase

• Settled In
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:23 PM

I am about to reassemble the cambelt, pullys etc. The crank *& keyways are in good condition and i was wandering what you guys do about assembling the crank pully & damper together. Do you use anti sieze assembly so they are not such a bugger to get off the next time or loctite to stop them coming loose? I know you use loctite on the crank bolt threads.

cheers

will

#2 nickm

nickm

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:28 PM

sorry but can i add a question

what sort of ummmppphh do i need to do the tensioner upto

my 200's also in lots of bits awaiting re-assembly

#3 Muck Truck

Muck Truck

• Settled In
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:38 PM

sorry but can i add a question

what sort of ummmppphh do i need to do the tensioner upto

a lot :lol: cant remember off the top of my head but its up somewhere like 280 Nm (for a 200 tdi)

when i did mine i was slipping the clutch so couldnt get it any tighter, but today ive just got one of these from ebay crank locking tool

so i can now re-tighten my crank (200 tdi) and do the Disco 300 Tdi cambelt we've got.

edit.

i am on about the damper bolt, not the belt tensioner, quoted wrong post here.

#4 Lars L

Lars L

Old Hand

• Supporters
  • 806 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:48 PM

Tension on the square hole for the cambelt tensioner should be 18-20 Nm. At least on a Disco engine, I might add... Done that today, see. ;)
1997 Defender 110
1958 SII 88 diesel

#5 nickm

nickm

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 02:08 PM

Tension on the square hole for the cambelt tensioner should be 18-20 Nm. At least on a Disco engine, I might add... Done that today, see. ;)

ta

thats my bit sorted

#6 stripy

stripy

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:27 PM

yes put loctite on the pully & the shaft & keyway
i wish i had all the toys!!

#7 Les Henson

Les Henson

Still waiting to weld my new chassis :(

• Supporters
  • 12,670 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:57 PM

Pulley/damper bolts are 4 x M8 coarse bolts, use a small amount of any thread locking compound as these bolts don't usually work loose. Timing belt tensioner I set at 20nm.

Setting the tensioner 'until the clutch slips' will see the belt snapped/timing case wrecked/or similar, (bit of confusion going on here I think ) :)

Les.
Keep this forum independent click here.

#8 Red90

Red90

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:28 PM

Pulley/damper bolts are 4 x M8 coarse bolts, use a small amount of any thread locking compound as these bolts don't usually work loose. Timing belt tensioner I set at 20nm.

Setting the tensioner 'until the clutch slips' will see the belt snapped/timing case wrecked/or similar, (bit of confusion going on here I think ) :)
Les.

He was referring to the large bolt holding the dampener onto the crankshaft.

#9 Muck Truck

Muck Truck

• Settled In
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:41 PM

Les.

I quoted wrong post there :rolleyes: but cause im new and posts are still moderated, i couldnt edit it when i realised id done it wrong

#10 Les Henson

Les Henson

• Supporters
  • 12,670 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:47 PM

assembling the crank pully & damper together

That statement wasn't describing the crank bolt to me, hence my reply. Tensioner remark was tongue in cheek, hence the presence of the smiley :)

Les.

#11 selectcase

selectcase

• Settled In
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:47 PM

Sorry - I may have caused some confusion here, what i am talking about are the crankshaft cog for driving the cambelt and the pully damper - they both slide on the crank shaft and locate via the 2 woodruf keys.

As they are frequently siezed on the crank when attempting to change a cambelt requiring a puller to get them off the shaft I was thinking of using a little antisieze compound but they appear to have been assembled on the shaft with loctite.

I am using new woodruf keys, new crank cog etc so everything is squeaky clean - hope that clarifies it :)

#12 western

western

Recovery Man

• Moderators
  • 28,553 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:57 PM

Genuine manual says fit the crank pulley [no mention of any substances between it & crankshaft] & fit damper using loctite 242 on the crank bolt threads only before torquing the bolt up.
I've never used anything on the crank for these 2 parts not had any problem removing them at timing belt change time.
Ralph, M3WRM, MSA Recovery Operator -- Western Recovery [Motorsport] http://www.amro.org.uk/
Defender Forum Moderator

Keep LR4x4.com Independent -- you can help by Clicking Here

#13 Les Henson

Les Henson

• Supporters
  • 12,670 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:44 AM

Just lightly lubricate the nose of the crank with engine oil or light grease, then assemble as per Ralphs reply.

Les.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users