Testing the Portals

RPR

The dog's danglies! Took the Tonka out for a field test on Saturday with the Bay State Rover Owners Association in Western Mass. Great trail and a great bunc of people. The Tonka was amazing. Need to d some work on the brakes (especially after splitting a brake line) but the Portals are incredible. What is remarkable is not only the clearance with the 36" tyres and portals, or the gearing which is excellent, but how smooth the ride is. I was in a Defender during the run and I have to say that the Tonka on paras with the big TSL SS Q78 airbags at 10 psi was noticably smoother. The articulation also cam out rather well, and that is with the rear end still held by check straps short of the revolvers really opening.

Having said all that, I still pranged it. Slipped the back end out on a nasty descent and buried the rt wing in the bank - mostly just flaked off some bondo! Thanks to the lockers, I just drove out with some scraping rather than having been stuck. The portals transform a Series vehicle into a very capable beasty indeed!!!

DSC_3563.sized.jpg

DSC_3577.sized.jpg

(and me showing off my best side.... :lol:

reavey_3635.sized.jpg

reavey_3641.sized.jpg

reavey_3648.sized.jpg

reavey_3651.jpg

It really is quite impressive. Not so clever in 4th gear on the road, but offroad, it's a treat.

Nice one :D

Looks like Portals are going to be IN in a big way next year. I got to have a nose round Moglite (thanks Andy) and find it very hard to imagine the 'typical' 90 on ARBs and Simex competing alongside it. I see even the guys on P4x4 are trading in there Dana 60's for Portals. No wonder those drop boxes went for so much on eblag (anyone know who too?).

Nice pics.

Can't wait for the Volvo portals to be converted to coils for my 90 now.

About 3 to 4 weeks to go hopefully :D

They won't be going on this though, as I trial it and portals are not allowed.

Show4.JPG

So I am building this one up with some help.

scorp1.jpg

Richard

RPR

Could you tell me what the offset of your Volvo C303 rims are please?

I have been looking on the net and can't seem to get a definitive answer.

Cheers

Richard

Well, they are negative offset. I don't know by how much, but the wheel center is essentially flush with the wheel rim.

Hey RPR, that's very, very impressive! You look about ready for a Jon Fund outing and some kicking of Jeep Butt :lol: I think I might relegate the 109 to being a support vehicle rather than try and keep up if you're going to be leaping over obstacles in that thing. Whereabouts in Western MA were you BTW?

Cheers

Luke

RPR

Could you tell me what the offset of your Volvo C303 rims are please?

I have been looking on the net and can't seem to get a definitive answer.

Cheers

Richard

The stock wheels are 7-1/2" wide and have 100% back-space.