Defender 2002 Dash Install

All of this is with thanks to PaulMc

---------------------------------------------

The 5-way connector shells for the 2002 switches are (Tyco) AMP MultiLock and are as follows -

347477-1 (Black) - Fits Front and Rear Fog Lamp Switches

347477-2 (White) - Fits Heated Front Screen and Rear Wiper Switches

347477-3 (Blue) - Fits Heated Rear Window and Rear Wash Switches

347477-4 (Green) - Fits Heated Seat Switches

See AMP Drawing - 5-Way Receptacle Housing - MultiLock TRW Switch

The terminals are a female receptacle, AMP part number 345208-1

They are also available as a bag of 50 from RS Components - catalogue number 362-9367.

I managed to get some Black, White and Blue (they didn't have Green) connector shells and some terminals on a strip from this company -

Heart Electronics

I couldn't get (or identify) the 6-way connectors used for the Electric Window Switches, or the 10-way connector used for the Hazard Warning Switch.

For the Electric Window Switches I've used individual terminals insulated with small sleeving.

For the Hazard Warning Light Switch I managed to find a suitable connector from a crashed late-series Rover 200 in a scrappy (they use similar switches to the 2002 Defender and the Hazard Warning Switch is the same, but mounted vertically rather than horizontally), I've had to carefully un-crimp and re-use the terminals.

The wiring and switch pin-outs are in the RAVE 2002 CD electrical libraries and wiring diagrams, as are the Land Rover part numbers for the connectors, although my main dealer cannot find them as orderable parts.

Here are some screen grabs for the switches and their connectors from the RAVE 2002 CD -

All_Switches.jpg

You can download the full size images in a .zip file here -

http://www.hubbard.nightmail.ru/All_Switches.zip

All Defender 2002 Switches - The link to the .zip file doesn't work - Go here - Index and select All_Switches.zip for download

You can download a .pdf of the Defender 2002 wiring diagram here -

Defender 2002 wiring diagram

All the 2002 switches, except the Hazard Warning Switch, are not suitable for switching loads directly - use them to switch relays.

The "One Touch, Push-Push" Rear Fog Lamp Switch switches the earth on an ECU (YWC104430L) which costs about twelve quid new. I also managed to get a suitable 4-way connector for this from the same scrapped Rover 200 and re-use the terminals in the same way as the Hazard Warning Switch.

I hope this info is helpful,

Paul.

If you can't get the right colour 5-way connector for the switch that you have, you can always pare off the keyway moulding on the bottom of the connector - it will then fit any switch.

You can also do this to the keyway moulding on the switches so that they fit into any of the dash apertures.

Paul.

If you can't get the right colour 5-way connector for the switch that you have, you can always pare off the keyway moulding on the bottom of the connector - it will then fit any switch.

You can also do this to the keyway moulding on the switches so that they fit into any of the dash apertures.

Paul.

re which type Rover:

It was a mid-late 90's rounded shape one.

I can check the VIN series when I'm home this evening.

When I installed my EPC I selected the option for a Rover Cars and Land Rover dealership, it then installs for all the Land Rover models and Rover/MG Cars range from about 1990 onwards.

Paul.

Anyway, back to Rover 200's.

According to the EPC the Rover 200's with the Hazard Warning Switch that's almost the same as the Defender 2002 switch and uses the same connector are -

Rover 200 Coupe/Cabriolet & 400 Tourer (March 1996 on)

Rover 200 Series (Nov 1995 on), Rover 25 & MG 25 Series (Nov 1999 on)

I've had EPC for a couple of years now and last night I discovered something else that I didn't know about it -

On the Search tab, in the "Search In" window - Click on the vehicle type to highlight it's name in blue, e.g. "Defender"

Right-Click on the highlighted name and a menu appears, with the options -

Visual Cue

A Pages

Select "Visual Cue" and a little box opens with the information -

OCT 91 - INTRO OF 200TDI DIESEL ENGINE

MAR 94 - INTRO OF 300TDI DIESEL ENGINE

DEC 97 - INTRO OF PLASTIC BUMPER END CAPS

Select "A Pages" and a new window opens with information on -

VIN codes

Engine No's

Transmission No's

Axle No's

Paint Codes

Seat Belt fitting instructions

Axle Swivel and Hub Seals - New Part Information

But you lot probably already knew that!

Paul.

The 2-way accessory socket (C1692) consists of - permanent live (Purple wire) + earth (Black wire). It's behind the RH rear lamp cover (inside the vehicle) and is intended to power accessories or an accessory socket in the rear of the vehicle.

The 1-way accessory socket (C0350) which is permanently live (Purple wire) and 1-way accessory socket (C0942) which is fed from the reverse lamp switch (C0167) (Green/Brown wire) are both under the RH rear wheelarch, behind the mud cover over the RH rear lamp connectors. They are adjacent to the trailer pickup connector and are for auxiliary towing connections.

Paul.

Part no. - YXJ000020LNF

This is the dummy switch to blank unused heated seat switch holes, it's actually an empty switch body with a blank cap.

The functional heated seat switch is part no. - YUG102430LNF

I've bought both the functional switches and blanks and, as I don't have heated seats or the desire for them, I'm using the heated seat switches and changing the caps for the blank ones, so that I can use the switches for other accessories.

You can also do this with all the other 2002 switches.

Paul.

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy