Dimple Dies

Warthog

Had some spare time and thought i would have a go at the simple "Dimple Die"

Very efective way to increase the strength of small guage plate. Plus it looks pretty good aswell.

Not seen to much use of them this side of the pond, but may just have to find an excuse to now :)

DSC00102.jpg

DSC00106.jpg

DSC00109.jpg

DSC00110-1.jpg

DSC00114.jpg

An example of what happens if you really, really like the effect :huh:

e9ddedb4.jpg

When you say "small guage plate" what sort of guages are you thinking of?

The plate in pictures 1 & 3 looks about 10mm thick, but the two piece die seems complete in itself.

The final plate with 2 large and 4 small holes looks about 16G.

Have you used the 2 piece die to form the thick plate, then the formed thick plate and the male half of the die to form the thin plate?

Or does the 2 piece die also punch out the hole?

As you can judge, a beginners view of the world!!

When you say "small guage plate" what sort of guages are you thinking of?

The plate in pictures 1 & 3 looks about 10mm thick, but the two piece die seems complete in itself.

The final plate with 2 large and 4 small holes looks about 16G.

Have you used the 2 piece die to form the thick plate, then the formed thick plate and the male half of the die to form the thin plate?

Or does the 2 piece die also punch out the hole?

As you can judge, a beginners view of the world!!

The Plate in the piccies were of 3mm and 4mm plate (this is light guage to me, where i work). 3mm with the 1 3/4 Holes and 1" (Final Plate)

Any guage of plate could be used really.

The Die is in 2 halfs the Pin locates the Upper and Lower centrally. When pressed the pin moves through the die.

Image 2 shows the Lower die on the left.

The Hole is pre-drilled or a Holesaw can be used and then the Die forms the "Dimple"

Hope that helps?

As I recall from my apprenticeship XX years ago, swaging a hole in this manner actually strengthens the plate to a plate size equal to the total width at the swage. I'ts used extensively in aircraft stiffeners, (stringers). Important to polish hole before the swage, less likely to encounter stress cracks.

Nice job of the press tool in a bit of spare time though! Would make a really good looking bumper and reduce the weight - cool!!

Had some spare time and thought i would have a go at the simple "Dimple dies"

e9ddedb4.jpg

That truck your? quality although putting holes back in the boot floor is alittle silly unless your using it to move sheep etc,one leg down each hole and they'll be going no where!

Before we all get too carried away, lets not confuse "strengthen" with "stiffen" shall we? :P

The swage is making more efficient use of the material around the hole thus going some way to replacing the material taken out and not leaving you with a floppy cheese grater :ph34r:

Die Material used EN24T- A tough material that has a tendancy to work hardened upon use. Material choice was what was in the scrap bin. Hardened and ground would be the way to go. But not needed IMHO.......

I used a 20tonne Press to "Swage" the holes in 4mm plate easily. I would reckon using a fly press wouldnt be ideal?

Not my truck, just an example of someone getting a little over excited with the dies :wacko:

Stiffness as opposed to Strengthen. I stand corrected but now educated Mr Bishbosh :blush:

strengthen;

To make strong or increase the strength of.

stiffen;

To make or become stiff or stiffer.

stiffness;

Synonyms: stiff, rigid, inflexible, inelastic.

These adjectives describe what is very firm and does not easily bend or give way. Stiff, the least specific, refers to what can be flexed only with difficulty.