Daily Driver Challenge Events - 29 Mar 08 - Wellington

JST

For 2008 we are introducing the concept of "Daily Driver Challenge" events. Daily Driver Challenge events (also referred to as DDC) are designed to get anyone interested in off roading out and about and try something different. The day is designed for vehicles that have not been modified although there is nothing to stop heavily modified vehicles from entering as long as they fulfil the DDC Rules and Regs.

The aim of the day is to have FUN, not damage anything, meet new people and enjoy yourself. Ideal as either a family outing or just come along with some mates. The day will be designed to allow you to take your vehicle to what ever limit you wish; safe in knowledge that there is help, and if needed, recovery on hand.

There will be upto 40 punches set out over a variety of different terrain and they will vary in difficulty. The most difficult requiring a winch to enable you to get to them. You should be able to expect to drive 1/2 to 3/4s of the punches. The punches will be attached to objects about the site and the punch card will be attached to your vehicle (using a cable tie). To achieve a 'punch' you must get your vehicle to the punch and mark the card with it to prove you were there. Another way of thinking about it is as a Pay and Play day with a greater purpose.

There will not be prizes for the most punches or points achieved instead we will be concentrating on presenting prizes for other categories along the lines of:

1. Most recoveries!

2. The worst stuck!

3. The most Helpful team on site.

There may be voluntary special stages at times throughout the day that would consist of special tasks that may include the likes of blindfold driving, theoretical recovery scenarios, or other similar veined stages.

There will NOT be a class system but there will be some vehicle restrictions.

These are primarily:

1. Your Vehicle must have current road tax, Insurance and an MOT.

2. Maximum Tyre size of 33" tall (255/85R16 equivalent).

3. No Simex Style tread patterns, eg FEDIMAs, INSA TURBOs etc.

4. All vehicles must have suitable front and rear recovery points.

A standard fitted towbar is adequate for a rear recovery point. Front recovery points should be a minimum of JATE rings on each chassis leg if a dedicated suitable winch point has not been fitted. Lashing eyes are NOT acceptable. All tow hitches, whether front or rear mounted, should be bolted to the vehicle (not welded) and must be fitted with spreader plates.)

5. Kinetic Energy Recovery Ropes (KERR) are NOT permitted.

In addition your vehicle must comply with the DDC rules and regulations.

The days will typically run with a vehicle check starting at 08:30, a drivers brief at 09:00 then time is yours until the end at 15:30/16:00 hours.

You should aim to bring your own lunch/thermos'/food for the day along with suitable outdoor clothing including a good set of waterproofs. A change of boots/socks and towel are advisable.

The whole day is non-competitive and all punches/sections are totally voluntary. Depending on the feedback will dictate the way forward and frequency of events. To date the first event is planned for the 29th March 08. Further events are published on my on line diary. All the events will be run in the Devon/Somerset area.

Spectators are welcome unless stated otherwise, please see the diary page for details. However we do ask that all spectators follow these guidelines.

You must pre-enter this event which you can do by emailing me on info@4x4adventures.co.uk. A days entry is £45 per vehicle. If your vehicle should fail scrutineering then your entry will NOT be refunded.

Nice idea this !

I was interested till I saw points 3 and 4. :( - ie I have 34 simex JT2s - max 33" and no simex ?

While not maybe for me (although it does sound fun :) ) it did occur to me that many potential entrants may come unstuck on this,

buying a too big a tyre / simex or both - and few people have the luxury of 2x sets of wheelas and tyres ?

Just a thought, but sounds exellent idea

Nige

Cheers for the support Nige

The thinking is sort of two fold, one being that as a daily driver challenge there arent many people that run Simex style as a general rule, the second point was that as this is geared between a challenge and fun day you have a different mix of driver and vehicle capability (ie alot of vehicles dont have winches) therefore they attempt the same punch several times with changing run up speeds etc and with simex or similar the ground takes quite a bashing - but then the other argument is that if they had simex they wouldnt need a run up!! but from my experience they will still take it! so the tyre issue is as much site preservation as anything.

This looks good.

I don't know many people who run Simex on an everyday truck, so the tyre limit and size makes sense if you are trying to attract new faces. Most people who have not done an event yet that I've seen seem to run ATs or MTs.

Richard

are you having a modified class as mentioned in the DDC regs?

If the a vehicle with diff locks as a standard fitment has it's lockers disabled throughout the event, by removing the relevant fuse for example, would it still be eligably for entry?

Sounds like my kind of challenge, something a bit more involving than a play day but as hard as you want to make it. Shame there are down in the southwest can your expand up north a bit more or would be tempted by some in the summer so i can combine it with holidays in the south west.

Fridge just use the freelander, it is a daily driver challenge after all, and you might as well explode the old engine completely!

Jon

are you having a modified class as mentioned in the DDC regs?

If the a vehicle with diff locks as a standard fitment has it's lockers disabled throughout the event, by removing the relevant fuse for example, would it still be eligably for entry?

Puggy - i am lost - what modified class?

Um it was a quote in the DDC regs that you linked to above;

TRANSMISSION

The use of locking axle differentials, limited-slip or torque-biasing axle differentials is permitted in modified class only.

i wondered if this was maybe an incorrect entry and perhaps a throw back for when these rules and regs were used for another challenge?

Like the sound of this James.

Any ideas on dates?

Jos

I'm up for this, definately :)

Don't post the dates too soon, it will give me time to get my new truck together :o

Its sort of in the title and the third para from the end

but dont tell anyone else!

Its sort of in the title and the third para from the end

but dont tell anyone else!

Glad someone else can see the date,, i was beginning to wonder then !!

Don't tell them the date, would make life easier then,, just send the entries in !!

James,

Wonderful idea ........... I will be up for this ..........to me it puts the fun back into it and will encourage more thought and skill into the driving to avoid damage........... I would also encourage you to add a rule that rear winches will not be used ..................thus allows the rear winch equipped vehicles to enter, but relys on their good will to play by the rules..............

:)

Ian

Ian - cheers for the support, i was sort of hoping the guys with rear winches wouldn't bother really or certainly not plan on using them as its a DDC, i think Tony is about the only one i know with a rear winch on a DDC (plus maybe Nige cant remember if his is a DD though)