Wolf XD rims vs. disco steel.... weight limit??

Guest deleted

Guest diesel_jim

Does anyone have wheel load ratings for the following:

STL72148U45: Disco Steel Wheels

ANR5593 / ANR4583: Nato Steel (Wolf) Wheels - different P/N for tubed and tubeless.

a chap on Horizons unlimited is enquiring about them. i did a google search but couldn't find anything.

cheers.

The STL...... code is not a LR part#. That steel wheel is a pattern one. He should ask whoever sell those.

The original LR steel rims are part# NTC5193 for which the max. load is 1650 kg.

For ANR5593 the max. load is 2200 kg.

Is that load rating for the Discovery steel rims at Pt No NTC5193 ??

mike

The original LR steel rims are part# NTC5193 for which the max. load is 1650 kg.

I'd be really interested to know the source for that info. Until now the only other figure I've seen quoted is 750kg by a guy on another forum. He was quite definite about it but, when pressed, couldn't provide any detail as to where the figure had come from, which is next to useless :rolleyes:

There's no source other than max. load of the axle they were designed for or the vehicle they were fitted to.

Those values are axle max loads for Discos and other vehicles respectively. Since a vehicle can end up on 3 wheels (or even 2 on a diagonal), this is the safe value that is accepted for the rims as well, although they can take much more than that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, my first appearence in this forum.

We were discussing exactly the same topic in a local Land Rover/Argentina forum.

I recently read in a LRO International (June 2007) edition that ......"On laden 110's, never use Discovery rims - they aren´t rated for that sort of weight and can quite spectacularly self-destruct under load"...

I was quite surprised about this comment since I understood Discovery steel rims were very tough.

There are a few of us using Defender 110's with Discovery steel wheels in Argentina and we wuild like to know if we are close to the load limit of our wheels (rims) or if you think LRO is exaggerating a bit.

If the 750kg per rim load mentioned before in this forum is correct then we are right on the limit since a well loaded Defender 110 is probably around 3 tons (750kgs x 4 = 3000kgs).

I've got some of specific questions:

a) " The original LR steel rims are part# NTC5193 for which the max. load is 1650 kg."

Does this refer to the weight each rim is designed to support or to the weight of the whole axle (825kgs per rim?)?

B) Does anybody know what is the max load for the original Defender 5.5 inch steel rims?

Do you think the Discovery steel rims are weaker than these?

c) What about the Discoevry alloy rims, are they built stronger than the Discovery steel rims?

Any comments and help will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Santiago, Mendoza, Argentina

Welcome Santiago.

As I've already stated I use Discovery steel wheels now fitted with General Grabber TR tyres.

I've just completed a six month tour of Southern Africa with me Defender. I would think thet at times the Defender weighed well over its GVW. In fact two years ago when we arrived home I put the Defender onto a weighbridge. Without fuel, spare fuel, water, drinks and food it weighed 2,995Kg. On working things out we reckoned that most of the time it weighed 3,200Kg to a maximum of 3.400Kg.

So far I haven't found any splits or damage to the Discovery rims.

mike

Interesting data Mike, Thanks!

I've heard no news of Discovery steel rims that have failed in this part of the world so I was quite surprised by the LRO comment.

Regards,

Santiago

It may just have been a completely ill-informed comment that falls into the "journalistic nonsense" category. It wouldn't be the first one I have seen in LRO!

The Discovery steel rims are very thick and I would think stronger than standard Defender steel wheels, though probably not as strong as the Wolfs.

It may just have been a completely ill-informed comment that falls into the "journalistic nonsense" category. It wouldn't be the first one I have seen in LRO!

The Discovery steel rims are very thick and I would think stronger than standard Defender steel wheels, though probably not as strong as the Wolfs.

A lot of people get confused between Discovery steel rims (which, up until the advent of the wolf rim, were fabled as being the strongest LR rim available) and the RoStyle rim as used on the early Range Rover and 90 CSW. The RoStyle was not rated to the GVW of a 110 and were known to split.

Personnally, I've got 2 sets of wheels/tyres for my own 110 - all on Disco steels. Like Mike (gemini) the vehicle is always heavily laden and is used both as a daily driver and for marshalling challenge events and general off road work. I've got almost a quarter of a million miles on the odometer now and have never had any concerns about the strength of the rims.

Matt

A lot of people get confused between Discovery steel rims (which, up until the advent of the wolf rim, were fabled as being the strongest LR rim available) and the RoStyle rim as used on the early Range Rover and 90 CSW. The RoStyle was not rated to the GVW of a 110 and were known to split.

Early Rostyles apparently had massive problems with wheel failure, on the early Range Rovers. I believe the design was changed, though I can't remember the details.

I've got Discovery alloys on my 110 and based on the fact it is normally running at about the same weight as a Discovery (a bit over 2 tons) I don't anticipate any problems either.

Hi guys,

I've checked my 16x 7 Discovery steel wheels (rims, sorry) and an old 16x 5.5 Defender rim I had at home and I found several numbers stamped on the rims on one side, among them:

I found that the Discovery rim has an arrow facing right (something like this: >) with a "D" inside the arrow and the number 1340 immediately to the right. Maybe a picture would be better than all these words......

The Defender 5.5 rim has the same symbol and the number 1241 to the right. I suspect that these number must be the maximum load PER WHEEL, in kilograms.

Why?

Well, I also have a set of American Racing 16 x 7 alloy rims for the Defender at home (yes, I don't know why but I've got 3 different type of Defender rims at home now, must sell some....) and they have a mximum load sign saying 2,500lbs.

I am sure the Land Rover rims must provide the same type of information and if my guess is correct (arrow sign indicating max load) it must be in kilograms because 1340lbs would be too low......

It would also make sense that the wider Discovery rims are slightly more robust than the 5.5 Defender rims and that both are more robust than the alloy rims (2,500lbs = 1133 kgs).

Does anyone have any data on how to read max load on Discovery and Defender steel rims?

I am also wondering wether the "D" inside the arrow stands for Dunlop since the original Defender tyres used to be Dunlop.....I am not sure they make any rims, I am actually making this up.

Any thoughts if all my guesses sound like bullsh.... or if they have a chance of being correct?

If they are correct then this story of Discovery 16 x 7 steel wheels being dangerous would be bullsh......

Cheers,

Santiago

What I have never understood is that the Camel Trophy Discos used the std 5.5F Defender wheels rather than the Disco steels, which certainly look stronger. Perhaps they thought the 5.5" rim was better for the 7.50x16 tyres they fitted and 7" rims were too wide?

Maybe this is what is behind the LRO article?

The very early Camel Discos actually used 7.00 x 16 tyres and, yes, the Disco steel rim would have been too wide. LR were undoubtedly keen to keep the vehicle as close to standard as practical - particularly on the drivetrian/suspension front - so wouldn't have wanted to fit a 2 inch lift and 235/85's or similar.

Hello Santiago.

Yes I've just looked at a very rusty Discovery wheel. The arrow you mentioned, could that be a Dunlop trade mark. I seem to remember Dunlop like that.

What is the difference between the steel thicknes of the Defender wheel and the Discovery wheel. I'd be interested to know. Sorry but I have no Defender rims at home.

Perhaps Land Rover fitted the Defender 5.5 wheels to get the Michelin tyre they wanted. A 235/85 and a 750 are as near a damn it the same diameter when on the Discovery rim.

I used 750 tyres on Discovery rims. I had a puncture every visit, sometimes two, to the bush. You see the 750 tyre runs on the sidewall on Discovery rims. Just enough to collect punctures.

When I was offered the Discovery rims. I spoke to my tyre supplier who told me that they were stronger than the Defender wheel !

Mike

Try was Lord Mayor of London. Can't died in the workhouise.