07 Defender Wheel Arches

Hello all... my first post and was referred here by the moderator from the d-90.com forum.

I'm in the states with my 1995 NAS Defender SW. Recently i imported a pair of brand new, land rover, oem, folding, forward facing rear seats that go into the new 07 defenders.

i knew i was in for a project with this one and i am now at a critical point in the installation process.

through research i have discovered that the wheel arches in the new defenders are different than previous years. they have a lowered portion and this is to accept the proper installation of the new seats and also to provide the appropriate amount of head room.

shortly i will be bringing my truck to the auto body shop so that he can "chop" my wheel arches and fabricate them to look as similar as possible to the 2007 uk defender wheel arches so that i can install the seats properly. the only problem is that i am having a hard time getting my hands on some detailed photos or specification diagrams that i can give him so he knows how to cut and re-form my wheel arches.

so, i am wondering if anyone might be able to help me out by providing some detailed photo's of the wheel arches from the inside of their 2007 defender, or provide a PDF of the parts from the latest version of the technical publications manual.

thanks all and your help is greatly appreciated!

john derosa

jjderosa@gmail.com

fairfield, ct

united states

Hi, Just removed the rear seats from my XS 110, (we won't mention the fact, that LR forgot to fit 4 of the fixing bolts on the r/hand side !! :o )

Will get you some pictures in the morning, with them removed

IMG_1477.jpg

Few more of mine HERE

Hi, Just removed the rear seats from my XS 110, (we won't mention the fact, that LR forgot to fit 4 of the fixing bolts on the r/hand side !! :o )

Will get you some pictures in the morning, with them removed

Few more of mine HERE

How difficult was it to remove them? Is it the sort of thing one might do in 20 mins in order to carry a large load or is it an afternoon's fiddling?

guys.... thank you soooo much for these shots. this is just what i need. i learned quite a bit from these posts. one is that the there is a support frame underneath the wheel arch that i didn't know about. i'll want to have my fabricator reinforce that section w/ some additional brackest i suppose. another one is the location of where the seat belt attaches to the floor. that is helpful as well.

many thanks again and i'll keep you posted as to how my installation comes out!

regards,

john

Hello all... my first post and was referred here by the moderator from the d-90.com forum.

I'm in the states with my 1995 NAS Defender SW. Recently i imported a pair of brand new, land rover, oem, folding, forward facing rear seats that go into the new 07 defenders.

i knew i was in for a project with this one and i am now at a critical point in the installation process.

through research i have discovered that the wheel arches in the new defenders are different than previous years. they have a lowered portion and this is to accept the proper installation of the new seats and also to provide the appropriate amount of head room.

shortly i will be bringing my truck to the auto body shop so that he can "chop" my wheel arches and fabricate them to look as similar as possible to the 2007 uk defender wheel arches so that i can install the seats properly. the only problem is that i am having a hard time getting my hands on some detailed photos or specification diagrams that i can give him so he knows how to cut and re-form my wheel arches.

so, i am wondering if anyone might be able to help me out by providing some detailed photo's of the wheel arches from the inside of their 2007 defender, or provide a PDF of the parts from the latest version of the technical publications manual.

thanks all and your help is greatly appreciated!

john derosa

jjderosa@gmail.com

fairfield, ct

united states

mmmmmmmmmmmm 95 nas shame it's not a soft top, what colour you got John, what other mods?

mmmmmmmmmmmm 95 nas shame it's not a soft top, what colour you got John, what other mods?

it's white w/ a full size galvanized roof rack and a set of 4 hella 3000's up there. also just mounted a pair of hella 4000 fogs to the front bumper. there's a custom center console inside as well. otherwise, nothing too much done to it. really, it's a defender w/ a heck of a lot of lights!

i'll get some pics posted shortly.

guys.... thank you soooo much for these shots. this is just what i need. i learned quite a bit from these posts. one is that the there is a support frame underneath the wheel arch that i didn't know about. i'll want to have my fabricator reinforce that section w/ some additional brackest i suppose. another one is the location of where the seat belt attaches to the floor. that is helpful as well.

many thanks again and i'll keep you posted as to how my installation comes out!

regards,

john

I've just laid my hands on a copy of the Feb 2008 Microcat.

The 2007 M.Y. > Defender is in it's own section, and trawling through the body, seating and seatbelt sub-sections, it would appear that the reinforcing frame is not available as a separate part. You have to buy the complete rear tub or the whole wheelbox/wheelarch side assy, and they are bluddy expensive :o

REAR BODY LOWER - LESS BULKHEAD (STATION WAGON - 3 DOOR, LESS BULKHEAD, '90" WHEELBASE' FROM (V) 7A000001)

BODY ASSEMBLY - LOWER REAR, LESS ROPE CLEATS - AQA711070 - £1,438.20

BODY SIDE ASSEMBLY - REAR, RH - ALA711020 - £599.25

BODY SIDE ASSEMBLY - REAR, LH - ALA711030 - £599.25

(Prices are retail, inc. VAT)

Paul.

I've just laid my hands on a copy of the Feb 2008 Microcat.

The 2007 M.Y. > Defender is in it's own section, and trawling through the body, seating and seatbelt sub-sections, it would appear that the reinforcing frame is not available as a separate part. You have to buy the complete rear tub or the whole wheelbox/wheelarch side assy, and they are bluddy expensive :o

REAR BODY LOWER - LESS BULKHEAD (STATION WAGON - 3 DOOR, LESS BULKHEAD, '90" WHEELBASE' FROM (V) 7A000001)

BODY ASSEMBLY - LOWER REAR, LESS ROPE CLEATS - AQA711070 - £1,438.20

BODY SIDE ASSEMBLY - REAR, RH - ALA711020 - £599.25

BODY SIDE ASSEMBLY - REAR, LH - ALA711030 - £599.25

(Prices are retail, inc. VAT)

Paul.

paul, any chance you can post (or email) a page or two out of that manual that has the drawings of the wheel arches? no biggie but the more i can provide to my fabricator the closer i'll get to it being right.

thx again,

john

paul, any chance you can post (or email) a page or two out of that manual that has the drawings of the wheel arches? no biggie but the more i can provide to my fabricator the closer i'll get to it being right.

thx again,

john

The illustrations in Microcat are just line-art drawings with no real detail. Also, they've used the same illustration for the 2007 Defender as they used for the 1987 -2006 Defenders.

90Tub2007.jpg

90Tub1987-2006.jpg

There's more detail in the pictures that other people have posted here.

Paul.

The illustrations in Microcat are just line-art drawings with no real detail. Also, they've used the same illustration for the 2007 Defender as they used for the 1987 -2006 Defenders.

90Tub2007.jpg

90Tub1987-2006.jpg

There's more detail in the pictures that other people have posted here.

Paul.

yeah, i would agree. they left out the most important detail change! ok thanks for posting.

john

ok i have one more silly request.

i'm trying to determine where exactly the seats should be mounted in the rear cargo space. to do this, i could use an approximate measurement of the distance from the inside of the rear door to the 1st bolt hole for the rear bracket that mounts to the floor of the vehicle.

would anyone be so kind as to help with this measurement?

thank you!

john

• 2 months later...

hello all, just wanted to provide an update on this project of "installing new 07 defender rear seats into a 95 NAS defender". the update is that nothing has happened yet!

i've hopped around to a couple of welders in town here and haven't had luck getting someone to tackle the job of fabricating the wheel wells. there are a couple others that i have yet to try yet so that option i believe is still open.

however, now i am exploring the option of selling my existing tub and purchasing a UK/Euro tub. at this point, this option is somewhat risky because of the following main question: are the outside dimensions of the 2007 and later tub exactly the same as the pre-2007 tub? more specifically, are the fender lines the same and will they line up to the pre-2007 doors? and are the mouting locations the same underneath? etc......

not sure if these questions can be answered here but just wanted to throw it out there in the event that someone might know the answers.

also, since a few months have passed since this thread, has anyone in the UK or Europe heard of anyone fabricating their pre-2007 wheel wells in order to accept the new seats, or perhaps swapping out a new tub for the old one? i will say that here in the US i've heard from several folks that i'm possibly the only jackass attempting this project here!

thx,

john

the externalyl the body is the same as any other 90 or 110 station wagon or hardtop.

excellent, much appreciated!

Hi John

You are aware that one can buy forward facing load area seats that will fit your truck without modification are you? I have no idea if they would be legal under US law but they seem legal under EU laws... http://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/ sell some, there may be other suppliers too.

Chris

yes... they are legal in the US. basically, i like the way the land rover seats fold as compared to the exmoor. they also appear to have a more compact stowed position. also, the oem land rover seats w/ sunken wheel well create some extra head room.