Transfer box front output bearing

Does anyone know if its possible to replace the front output shaft bearing with the box in situ? I don't fancy taking the box out to do it. I know Les has produced a how to for the rear one, but the front looks a bit more complicated.

Of course it is possible. It's more easier than rear.

dscf0804xr7.jpg

dscf0808ri9.jpg

dscf0819tt9.jpg

dscf0824mu1.jpg

dscf0827vq6.jpg

dscf0828ej8.jpg

dscf0834hi1.jpg

Gus,

It looks like you have removed the whole ouput shaft to do it. Is that what you did? Does it go back in easy enough?

Yes tonycougar, the bearing is fixed to the shaft, not to tranfer. You can remove it without problem pulling, like you can see in the photo. It is very easy.

Yes tonycougar, the bearing is fixed to the shaft, not to tranfer. You can remove it without problem pulling, like you can see in the photo. It is very easy.

I have also been told that I need to shim the bearings too. Would I need to buy new shims or just use the original ones and replace the oil seal.

I have also been told that I need to shim the bearings too. Would I need to buy new shims or just use the original ones and replace the oil seal.

And what about setting up the pre-load? The manual says you need to wrap string around a shaft select high or low gear then check the pre-load with a spring balance (This is all with the box on the bench).

• 1 month later...
Gus - excellent writeup with the photos! just about to do mine.

Mods - Could this be one for the tech archive?

Hi chaps,

im interested in seeing this but the pictures dont seem to come through (just red crosses) - any chance this can be fixed?

Thanks

Andy

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thanks Gus, very useful post.

Just a question, do you have any images of the rear output shaft and bearing + speedo drive? I've dismantled mine 5 Months ago and am now in the process of fitting back together. For some reason the speedo drive is a loose fit on the shaft + can slide for about one cm. Should it be like that y/n?

Cheers

Marco

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...