#1 Paul64

Paul64

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:38 PM

Hi,

My starter motor has just started playing up. Not the usual problem of clicking and nothing else. It runs away as if going to do something but doesn't engage, if that makes sense. I have a 200Tdi Defender 1994. Can anyone shed any light on this problem?

Thanks, Paul

#2 Les Henson

Les Henson

Still waiting to weld my new chassis :(

• Supporters
  • 12,670 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:46 PM

Either the solenoid isn't throwing the starter dog onto the flywheel ring gear, the starter dog itself is stuck, you have a few teeth stripped off the dog or the ring gear, or the little arm that throws the starter dog is broken/siezed/dislocated.

Les.
Keep this forum independent click here.

#3 Paul64

Paul64

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:52 PM

Either the solenoid isn't throwing the starter dog onto the flywheel ring gear, the starter dog itself is stuck, you have a few teeth stripped off the dog or the ring gear, or the little arm that throws the starter dog is broken/siezed/dislocated.

Les.

Thanks for that Les. It does start eventually, but sometimes can take several goes before she fires up. It also seems to be worse first thing in the morning?

P.S How do you get to the damn thing. It seems impossible from top or bottom. Do you need to take the down pipe of the exhaust off first?

#4 cipx2

cipx2

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:54 PM

Yes, you should take the down pipe off.

Here are two threads on the subject you might want to read:
- http://forums.lr4x4....showtopic=17900
- http://forums.lr4x4....showtopic=23155
or same thing here.

#5 Paul64

Paul64

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:53 AM

Yes, you should take the down pipe off.

Here are two threads on the subject you might want to read:
- http://forums.lr4x4....showtopic=17900
- http://forums.lr4x4....showtopic=23155
or same thing here.

Thanks Cip, that is really helpful. I did put starter in the search finder but didn't see these.

#6 tonka

tonka

• Settled In
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:53 AM

i did my starter last weekend and in total it took about an hour, it was much easier than i was expecting, the biggest pain was sealing up the exhaust at the end.

#7 Paul64

Paul64

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:54 AM

i did my starter last weekend and in total it took about an hour, it was much easier than i was expecting, the biggest pain was sealing up the exhaust at the end.

Did your just clean it up or did you replace it?

#8 tonka

tonka

• Settled In
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:16 PM

i replaced it with a new bearmach one i think it cost about 90 ish but for the peace of mind that it should start should i stall it in a stupid situation (more than likley) it seemed the right thing to do. i may have a look at the old one and see if it is servicable and keep it as a spare but the gear on the old starter motor turned freeley which i perceve to be bad.

#9 Paul64

Paul64

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:31 PM

i replaced it with a new bearmach one i think it cost about 90 ish but for the peace of mind that it should start should i stall it in a stupid situation (more than likley) it seemed the right thing to do. i may have a look at the old one and see if it is servicable and keep it as a spare but the gear on the old starter motor turned freeley which i perceve to be bad.

Did your old one give way completely? What were the symptoms? Where did you buy your Bearmach one from?

#10 dantd5

dantd5

Old Hand

• Supporters
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:36 PM

<_< In order to avoid the hustle and stress, I simply bought a new Bosch Starter.. ( real broke now) and keep the old one for a rainy day.. It was minus 5 degress that morning.. Brrrrrrrr :huh:
Electrickery. PRoblem was deep horn trafikator switch. I changed it and vips all was working again!!
...Defender 110 Td5 99 Model

#11 Paul64

Paul64

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:38 PM

<_< In order to avoid the hustle and stress, I simply bought a new Bosch Starter.. ( real broke now) and keep the old one for a rainy day.. It was minus 5 degress that morning.. Brrrrrrrr :huh:

Where did you buy it from and how much if you don't mind me asking?

#12 Les Henson

Les Henson

Still waiting to weld my new chassis :(

• Supporters
  • 12,670 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:24 PM

You should be able to turn the starter dog (the little cog on the starter motor) in one direction fairly easily, but not the other way without turning the starter motor armature.

Les.
Keep this forum independent click here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users