Genuine Land Rover aux lighting switches

Hi all,

Wanting to keep my dash tidy I just treated myself to a couple of genuine parts aux lamp switches (the rectangular push-push type suitable for a 2003 Def with the centre dash switch cluster). There are 5 numbered terminals on the back of the switch for me to push spades on to (unless anyone knows where I can get hold of a block to suit??). Before I damage/melt things, deos anyone know which number corresponds to which function? I did ask at my dealership but of course they didn't know... Thanks!

Hi all,

Wanting to keep my dash tidy I just treated myself to a couple of genuine parts aux lamp switches (the rectangular push-push type suitable for a 2003 Def with the centre dash switch cluster). There are 5 numbered terminals on the back of the switch for me to push spades on to (unless anyone knows where I can get hold of a block to suit??). Before I damage/melt things, deos anyone know which number corresponds to which function? I did ask at my dealership but of course they didn't know... Thanks!

Have a look in the Tech Archive section - do a search for TD5 switches or similar.

This thread in the Tech Archive gives info on the connector shells and terminals, as well as a link to a 2002 Defender wiring diagram -

Defender 2002 Dash Install

I'll re-post the contents here, edited to update links and details -

The 5-way connector shells for the 2002 switches are (Tyco) AMP MultiLock and are as follows -

347477-1
(Black) - Fits Front and Rear Fog Lamp Switches

347477-2
(White) - Fits Heated Front Screen and Rear Wiper Switches

347477-3
(Blue) - Fits Heated Rear Window and Rear Wash Switches

347477-4
(Green) - Fits Heated Seat Switches

See AMP Drawing - 5-Way Receptacle Housing - MultiLock TRW Switch -

post-148-1210779098_thumb.jpg

The terminals are a female receptacle, AMP part numbers
345208-1
and
175027-1

They are also available as a bag of 50 from
- catalogue number
362-9367

I managed to get some Black, White and Blue (they didn't have Green) connector shells and some terminals on a strip from this company -

If you can't get the right colour 5-way connector for the switch that you have, you can always use a craft knife to 'pare off' the keyway moulding on the bottom of the connector - it will then fit any switch.

You can also do this to the keyway moulding on the switches so that they fit into any of the dash apertures.

The wiring and switch pin-outs are in the RAVE 2002 CD electrical libraries and wiring diagrams, as are the Land Rover part numbers for the connectors, although my main dealer cannot find them as orderable parts.

Here are some screen grabs for the switches and their connectors from the RAVE 2002 CD -

post-148-1210779644_thumb.jpg

You can download the full size images in a .zip file here -

If the direct link doesn't work - Go here -
and select
All_Switches.zip
for download

You can download a .pdf of the Defender 2002 wiring diagram form Nick Taylor's 'Indigoprime' site here -

All the 2002 switches, except the Hazard Warning Switch, are not suitable for switching loads directly - use them to switch relays.

Paul.

Thanks Paul!

Only thing is I have to be honest - I'm no electrician. I've skimmed all the information but can't find where it tells me what the 5 pins on the back of my buttons do (eg 1=live, 2=earth etc). Which section do I need?

Found the spade connectors from RS though!

Thanks

I fitted the OEM front fog light switch and used small spade connectors from VWP instead of trying to find the right connector.

Only problem was, the switch is designed tp control the earth connection of the fog lights control unit rather than its positive feed. If you try to run it round the wrong way the 'on' led on the switch won't work. I assume the switch is intended to operate some sort of ECU rather than a standard type relay. Rather than tryo ro work all this out and source the bits, I installed a mini relay behind the switch to reverse its operation.

So the switch controls the earth part of the mini relay trigger which then sends a positive feed to the main relay controlling the lights.

Phew...

:huh: Oh my God! I am starting to regret starting this project...

The push push switches I bought have a picture of a left facing lamp with 5 straight bars of light coming away from it, with the number "2" printed inside the light. There is a light in the switch which I presume comes on when in operation.

I thought I had bought front aux light switches (so did the land rover dealership selling them to me!) - is that what I have here? Am I going to need a blumin' ECU just to make this work??

Found the pin outs I used for my install:

1 = earth switched

2 = +ve illumination (on with sidelights)

3 = earth

4 = redundant earth (matches pin 3)

5 = +ve control light (small orange led, feed from powered device)

So 2 can piggyback off another nearby switch so the backlight comes on with your sidelights.

3 (and 4) connect to earth for the backlight and the 'on' led.

5 takes a positive feed from the lights you have turned on with the switch (I ran this from the switch part of my mini relay)

1 is the earth that is switched i.e. when the switch is off it goes nowhere when the switch is 'on' it connects through to 3 so making the earth circuit for the lights.

No idea how it's supposed to work but my fudge works fine.

If my ramblings don't make sense let me know and I'll knock up a diagram.

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks Paul!

Only thing is I have to be honest - I'm no electrician. I've skimmed all the information but can't find where it tells me what the 5 pins on the back of my buttons do (eg 1=live, 2=earth etc). Which section do I need?

Found the spade connectors from RS though!

Thanks

What's the Land Rover part number of the switches you have?

Paul.

I fitted the OEM front fog light switch and used small spade connectors from VWP instead of trying to find the right connector.

Only problem was, the switch is designed tp control the earth connection of the fog lights control unit rather than its positive feed. If you try to run it round the wrong way the 'on' led on the switch won't work. I assume the switch is intended to operate some sort of ECU rather than a standard type relay. Rather than tryo ro work all this out and source the bits, I installed a mini relay behind the switch to reverse its operation.

So the switch controls the earth part of the mini relay trigger which then sends a positive feed to the main relay controlling the lights.

Phew...

The rear fog lamp switch doesn't latch, it sends a momentary pulse to an ECU which switches on the rear fog lamp(s)

This 'One Touch' ECU, part number YWC104430L isn't that expensive - about £15.00

The 4-way connector to suit the ECU is a little harder to come by, it's made by Sumitomo -

The connector shell is Pt. No. F(6090-1011)

and the terminals are Pt. No's -

F(8240-4412) for cables 0.2 - 0.3 mm2

F(8240-4422) for cables 0.5 - 1.25 mm2

Incidently the 10-way connector for the Hazard Warning Light Switch is also from the same Sumitomo range -

The connector shell is Pt. No. F(6090-1220)

The terminals are the same part numbers as the ECU Connector

Sumitomo catalogue here - Sumitomo HM Series Connectors

I sourced both of my HM series connectors from a late 90's Rover 200 in a scrappy.

Paul.

I sourced both of my HM series connectors from a late 90's Rover 200 in a scrappy.

The same scrapped Rover 200 had a number of Blue (347477-3) and Black (347477-1) connectors hanging out of it's dash loom, as did most of the other late 90's Rovers in there, with the exception of Rover 75's.

Paul.

:huh: Oh my God! I am starting to regret starting this project...

The push push switches I bought have a picture of a left facing lamp with 5 straight bars of light coming away from it, with the number "2" printed inside the light. There is a light in the switch which I presume comes on when in operation.

I thought I had bought front aux light switches (so did the land rover dealership selling them to me!) - is that what I have here? Am I going to need a blumin' ECU just to make this work??

From your description, these sound like the Front Fog Lamp switch, Part No. YUG000540LNF

The pin-outs for these front Fog Lamp switches aren't in the Defender 2002 RAVE wiring diagram, the best I've found is the Defender Auxiliary Wiring Kit (STC53208) instructions, which you can get from the - Land Rover Owner Information website.

Here's a direct link to the instructions document - Defender Auxiliary Wiring Kit.pdf

Paul.

• 1 year later...

AN UPDATE ON SWITCH CONNECTORS

The rear fog lamp switch doesn't latch, it sends a momentary pulse to an ECU which switches on the rear fog lamp(s)

This 'One Touch' ECU, part number YWC104430L isn't that expensive - about £15.00

The 4-way connector to suit the ECU is a little harder to come by, it's made by Sumitomo - CORRECT

The connector shell is Pt. No. F(6090-1011) - WRONG

and the terminals are Pt. No's - - WRONG

F(8240-4412) for cables 0.2 - 0.3 mm2 - WRONG

F(8240-4422) for cables 0.5 - 1.25 mm2 - WRONG

'One Touch' Fog Lamp ECU Connector

Having now sourced a Sumitomo 4-way HM Series connector, I can definately say that the connector for the Fog Lamp ECU isn't a standard connector with .090" (2.3mm) terminals :(

The shell is slightly larger than the standard HM Series and uses .110" (2.8mm) terminals, it's definately made by Sumitomo, but it isn't in any of their catalogues :huh:

The only source I have for this connector is from a scrappy - Rover 100/200/400, Defender, Discovery 1 & 2, Freelander 1

I have no source for the terminals :( - re-use existing terminals or splice wires together.

Hazard Warning Light Switch

The 10-way connector for the Hazard Warning Light Switch is from the Sumitomo HM Series range -

The connector shell is Pt. No. F(6090-1220)

post-148-125673754213_thumb.jpg

and the terminals are Pt. No's -

F(8240-4412) for cables 0.2 - 0.3 mm2

post-148-125673755726_thumb.jpg

F(8240-4422) for cables 0.5 - 1.25 mm2

post-148-125673762285_thumb.jpg

The connector shell can be sourced from a scrappy - Rover 100/200/400, Defender, Discovery 1 & 2, Freelander 1, Suzuki VStrom Handlebars -

New terminals can be sourced from a company called Eastern Beaver :ph34r:

They sell them in sets of 10 x male with 10 x female

Ref: FM090, for $2.90 + P&P, here -

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/090_Connectors/090_connectors.html

2p090k-smhm-terminal-set.jpg

So now if you source a 2nd-hand connector, you won't need to splice wires together, you can now just make up a new loom.

Or you could just buy a complete new connector :D

Eastern Beaver also supplies a connector set, comprising - female shell with 10 x female terminals + male shell, with 10 x male terminals

Ref: 10P090K-SMHM, for $6.49 + P&P, here -

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/090_Connectors/090_connectors.html

10P090K-SMHM.jpg

Headlamp Level Adjustment Switch

You can source this connector from a scrappy - Headlamp Levelling Switch/Blower Speed Switch/Earth Header in - Metro/Rover 100, 1990 onwards, Rover 200 3/5 door & 400 4 door Series (Oct 92 to Feb 96), Defender, Discovery 1 & 2, Freelander 1

Until recently, you could also buy it new (without terminals) as YPC10004 from a Rover Cars dealer, but it's now been discontinued as a spare.

If you source a 2nd-hand connector shell, Eastern Beaver sell the correct Sumitomo terminals to suit

Ref: .250 Female Receptacles to suit .4mm2, 2mm2 and 3mm2 cable for $0.20 each, here -

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/Special/special.html

sumi-250-312-f250_0972.jpg

Eastern Beaver also sell a 6-way .250" (6.3mm) Yazaki connector that is dimensionally identical to the correct Sumitomo connector and is a perfect fit for this switch

Ref: Connector Set 6PF250 for $4.73 + P&P, here -

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/250_Connectors/250_connectors.html

6PF250K.jpg

Front and Rear Fog Lamp Switches

These two switches use the AMP/Tyco 5-way (Black) Multilock connector 347477-1

Dingocroft now sell this connector, complete with terminals

Ref: ZZPLUG01 for £4.77 (Including VAT at 15%), here -

http://shop.dingocroft.co.uk/acatalog/Electrical_Miscellany.html#aZZPLUG01

plug01.JPG

FWIW. I had a customer in just the other day carrying out an install of Aux light switch into brand new Defender. I mentioned the 'nightmare' getting hold of the correct conectors but he showed me the correct connector he had just sourced 'off the shelf' from Auto Sparks the wiring loom people.

FWIW. I had a customer in just the other day carrying out an install of Aux light switch into brand new Defender. I mentioned the 'nightmare' getting hold of the correct conectors but he showed me the correct connector he had just sourced 'off the shelf' from Auto Sparks the wiring loom people.

I spoke with Autosparks at Billing, they said that they can supply these connectors, but they don't have large stocks of them, which is why they aren't listed on their website.