2nd fuel tank on a 90

So I want to fit a secondary fuel tank to my 200tdi 90. Rather than re-inventing the wheel can I ask what others have done and how easy was it? Figure the most straight forward is a TD5 tank in the rear but wondered about the exhaust position as mine is inside the rear legs of the chassis.

Would prefer not to have to have anything too complicated as its bound to go wrong at the most important time!!

Ideas and designs appreciated.

Thanks TJ

Guest noggy

how big? and what do you use your landrover for?

putting one in the rear load space? or cutting out the battery box and putting one in there?

We have twin tanks in our 90 . Main reason is we brought the car out to Australia and we used it for traveling around Aus in it and we need it to be able to carry more fuel. We got our second tank (50ltr) from WH wheel carrers and goes where the TD5 tank goes. Under the rear at the back. It is made of stainless and fills up from the original filler neck but has a y peice in the neck. Then you use the normal tank and then turn a pump on and pump from the rear tank to the front tank and carry on and use the tank again/ This worked great on our trip around Aus

I have put a TD5 rear exhaust on the 90 as with the 300 tdi (and same with the 200 tdi) exhaust the second silincer goes where the tank is now

tankup.jpg

tankup2.jpg

tank.jpg

Nice work Reads90 - Can I ask how you got the Y pice in the filler neck to divert fuel?

It cam with the tank as part of the kit

You have the choice of another filler spout or a Y peice from the original filler spout

As you fill the car if you point the Diesel filler to the right it fills the original tank and if you point it to the left then it fills the back tank. And if you put it straight in then it fills both at the same time

Nice bit of kit. Thats pretty much what I want I think... Went to see the Tek Tank guys and they were very helpful and could build anything in any shape. But I think I am over complicating a simple solution as shown above with the rear TD5 tank. Time to think twice.

So I want to fit a secondary fuel tank to my 200tdi 90. Rather than re-inventing the wheel can I ask what others have done and how easy was it? Figure the most straight forward is a TD5 tank in the rear but wondered about the exhaust position as mine is inside the rear legs of the chassis.

Would prefer not to have to have anything too complicated as its bound to go wrong at the most important time!!

Ideas and designs appreciated.

Thanks TJ

I've just fit a TD5 tank to the back of my 200tdi. It was a much better option than anything else i could find.

The reason i'm doing the second tank is cos i'm doing a veggie oil conversion.

Tanks done but still on with the conversion part. Once the conversions done i will be doing a full write up with pics cos a few peeps have asked about it.

Firstly, buy the middle and rear sections of exhaust from a late 300tdi defender. I just went to my local motor factors and picked em up. BOSAL part numbers are 211-075 and 851-137. Cost £85 inc vat. Keep the original 200tdi down pipe, and a very short section of the 200tdi middle section. Then weld the 2 middle sections together. (was actually very easy). An adapter plate needs to be made for the exhaust mount next to the A frame, otherwise its a straight fit.

Once this is done, buy a TD5 tank (WHK10040) off ebay and make sure its for a 90 and not a 110 (some sellers dont actually say). Then buy a fuel sender unit, part number WQB100430. The fuel intank sender is called a fuel pump by land rover. This is just to confuse everone. Dont be tempted to use a TD5 fuel pump as it will just cause problems. See if ya get the sealing ring, adapter, and metal ring for fitting this sender in the tank. ESR 3806/ ESR 3807/ ESR 3808. Then ya need the tank cradle WFI100070. Then ya need to modify the cradle, make some brackets to weld onto the chasis. And also cut away the triangular shaped section from your rear cross member.

If ya can't use an angle grinder and weld then its a none starter.

And ya will need the filler which is another ebay job. And a second fuel gauge to go in the dash again from ebay.

Other than that, its a much tidier job than some after market things that i looked at and much cheaper.

Another benefit of doing all this is that the Turbo spools up much much quicker !!!!!!!!!!!!

This is due to the exhaust not having loads of tight 90 bends, no resonator and loosing 2 restrictive silencers for one nice fairly free flowing oval jobbie. Sounds exactly the same as before i started so i dont get a bad head either.

Good progress then Jimmy :) I now have a rear tub, tank and cradle, I just need the time to get started. I'll be using both of mine for diesel so I'm going to use a pair of solenoids to switch between tanks and and an additional pole on the switch to swap between fuel level inputs so that the gauge will show the level of the tank that's in use ... I hope ;)

Did you do a drawing of the chassis brackets ?

Mo

Good progress then Jimmy :) I now have a rear tub, tank and cradle, I just need the time to get started. I'll be using both of mine for diesel so I'm going to use a pair of solenoids to switch between tanks and and an additional pole on the switch to swap between fuel level inputs so that the gauge will show the level of the tank that's in use ... I hope ;)

Did you do a drawing of the chassis brackets ?

Mo

No, but i took lots of piccys. From the piccys you will see that what i did was very simple anyway. I also modified the cradle so that the tank can be removed very easily at any time for waxoyling un stuff.

Other interesting thing that i found was that i no longer get that horrible TDI booming noise at 60-70mph. I always put it down to tyres un road noise, but it was obviously that old horrible exhaust. Well worth the £85 just to get rid of all the noise.

I'll try un get time to sort the pics of the cradle out ... no promises though cos i'm putting my time into getting the job finished really.

i have a td5 and was/am looking at two tanks, Safari Equip as linked above wanted 300 odd quid plus the VAT i seem to remember for some sill tanks (50 and 55L ones) but didnt have any pictures of any they had fitted.

My main aim was to have a fuel fill system off one filler - the same as Reads90 with a Y piece and then have a pump to transfer the fuel to the rear td5 tank with as Mo says one fuel guage giving the readings from both tanks from the flick of a switch.

On a Tdi could you also not get a tank made to fit the gap between the existing filler neck and the tank neck there is a fair bit of space in there if it was made tight to the body work and came right up to the external filler - just and idea you - its wouldnt be that big though

Does anyone have pictures of the exhaust? I'd like to see how it avoids the area behind the axle.

The exhaust runs straight back from the downpipe, single central silencer, up and over the rear axle with an A shape for clearance , the tucks under the n/s chassis rail to exit.

if you fit twin tanks to take on an overland i wouldnt over complicate the way you move fuel from one to the other i'd use twin electric pumps to be on the safe side

dave

I'm replacing both fuel filters for the type that are meant for pulling fuel through ( got a bleed button on top for pumping air out) , ya can get these from the scrappy for next to nowt cos they are fitted on most cars.

Then just using a tecalemit change over valve from http://www.biotuning.co.uk/PartsValves.htm . One of these valves should be fitted to switch over the supply and the return line.

And of course keeping the original fuel lift pump which is nice too.

if you fit twin tanks to take on an overland i wouldnt over complicate the way you move fuel from one to the other i'd use twin electric pumps to be on the safe side

dave

Agreed

i am Reading this thread and thinking WOW calm down , getting far too complicated.

I just have a tank under the back which as i have said before fills up from the same filler as the front tank and has a V8 fuel pump to pump the fuel from the back tank to the front tank when the front tank is low/empty. After all filling the front tank is not a race and as you are driving along it takes about 20 mins to fill the front tank from tha back one.

But the great thing is i dont have to use both tank. I have not used the rear tank for the past 6 months just use the front tank as normal

The one on mine (orginal 2.5NA) never goes below the chassis. It goes over top.

The n/a exhaust is different - there is a sharper bend at the back and it does indeed go over the chassis between the crossmember and a bracket. The TDI exhaust wont follow this path and has to go under the chassis. No biggie though, it's still tucked out of the way enough.