how to weld upside down

v8bobber

Evening all,

i've recently bought a new MIG welder in order to patch up some of the holes in the chassis of the 90 i've bought. I've done a bit of welding in the past but not much.

I've done a couple of patches on the outrigger and one on the rear crossmember which turned out quite well and the last couple didn't need any dressing just a bit of paint. However, i've been out in the workshop tonight in an attempt to do a patch which is on the bottom rail on oneside of the chassis and attempted to weld a plate on. It's turned out bloody awful! I've taken a sample of the same metal and welding from the top the weld turns out fine but trying to do it from underneath makes a right mess and it just seems to "sit on top".

Any expert welders out there have any tips?

Cheers,

Dave

Top tips for welding from under the vehicle:

Use masking tape to close the sleeves of your overalls to your wrists. Stops splatter going down the sleeves.

Take a large wet towel & cover your overalls with it. Stops weld splatter burning its way through your overalls from the outside.

When I'm welding under a vehicle I tend to lie well over to one side and weld at arms length with sleeves tucked into the welding gauntlets. I look at the weld from the side to see any drips as they happen. I also weld in short bursts to prevent excessive heat. If I am stick welding I will use the end of the welding rod to push the weld back up if it starts to drip.

Take a large wet towel & cover your overalls with it. Stops weld splatter burning its way through your overalls from the outside.

After once finding the crotch of my overall on fire* :blink: , I now make a pitched roof over my body with thin plywood so that the spatter runs off to one side...

Roger

* Worse than the burning sensation, was when I batted out the flames :o

remember, heat rises, turn down the the heat for overhead, if need be, crank up the wire feed just a tad, cool wire will also cool a weld. Think about it, it only takes a second! -_-

I guess you are turning down the power a tad (essentially tip voltage) and then increasing the current slightly by a faster wire speed................ that is quite a fine adjustment and to achieve it quickly would require a lot of experience................. I guess you are a professional welder Tony ;)

I tend to move the torch slightly faster and to generally move the torch a little more in the welding process ........ if you just move faster with less wire spedd, then the penetration suffers........

:)

Ian

After hours of practice and several burns to me arm, I sussed it and tipped the motor on side it was far easier and less painful.

Perfect

For this reason I have a Morris Traveller sat on it's side the garage as well.... it definately does help!

Not wanting to go of the topic but has anyone got a burn (when welding on a Land Rover) that made them jerk their head back and bump it of something only to bring it forward and bump it on the front.

Has anyone got a small piece of hot stuff go into an ear, and start frying that can make for a nasty jerk reaction.

Or am I the only jerk here. :unsure:

I managed a burn right in the fold of my elbow once, made me look like a heroin addict for a week or so :P

For upturned welding now... VERY thick overalls, and a thick jumper helps to stop all of that, especially boots with high enough ankles to stop hot blobs going down your socks :(

<...>

Has anyone got a small piece of hot stuff go into an ear, and start frying that can make for a nasty jerk reaction.

<...>

Yup - this happened to me, and is why I now always wear ear-plugs when welding under the car... Just imagine the effect if it had got for enough in to come to rest on the ear-drum? Makes me shudder just thinking about it... :(

ive got a habit of every so often of putting the torch to my ear to hear the gas is ok ,yes theinevitable happened hot wire in ear i try not to do it as it is obvious when the gas is not flowing but it has become a reflex ,ear plugs are not the answer because i like to hear the welder when it sounds good its right

I've has sparks in my ear a few times and the sizzle of it in the earwax is a bit horrible. I nearly always end up with a few burns if I'm welding under a vehicle. I've got 4 burns on my left wrist right now and when I bought my MIG I stupidly didn't wear any gloves and the subsequent UV burn on my wrist caused the skin to crack in several places and weep clear liquid. It took about 6-weeks for the splits to heal up - every time I bent my wrist they would open up again and weep/bleed. Welding upside down is quite dangerous. Most welding safety gear isn't designed for it and sparks can get in through vents, etc.

Les.

Thanks for the advice all,

You will be glad to know that all welding on the 90 is now complete. Including the patch on the underside of the chassis which nearly beat me! I went out to do it the first night and had a hell of a job, hence the original post, but went out to the workshop the night later and it worked perfectly. I think the key was getting the mig settings absolutely spot on. I didn't get close enough to get any burns from spatter but i did manage to set fire to the sheet that I was lying on, and I only realised that when it was well ablaze because i had my welding mask on. Time to buy a decent pair of overalls i think and just lie on the floor from now on!!

Only the engine to put in now and the 90 might move under it's owwn steam for the first time in 5 years!

Cheers,

Dave