EBC Brakes

Ben Jordan

Since fitting the large off road tyres to my Range rover the braking performance of the Rangie has gone down considerably. I need to change the discs and pad and was thinking of going to EBC Greenstuff brake pads and EBC slotted discs to improve the braking performance. Has anybody used either of these? or used something else better? and where is the cheapest place to buy EBC?

Since fitting the large off road tyres to my Range rover the braking performance of the Rangie has gone down considerably. I need to change the discs and pad and was thinking of going to EBC Greenstuff brake pads and EBC slotted discs to improve the braking performance. Has anybody used either of these? or used something else better? and where is the cheapest place to buy EBC?

Hi Ben,

I have them on my 90, They wear a lot faster than normal ones but the disc's don,t rust. I shop around for a good price normally 4x4partsmaster as they are close to me and I buy 6 sets of pads at a time.

As for the braking performance hard to tell, I think that they are better in the mud and slop, but not much difference in dry.

Peter

The discs on your 90 are they solid or vented?What sort of money did you pay for the discs?

I have had a large batch of ap lockheed and brembo discs groved to the same spec as our own drift car ones and the results have been VERY good even useing std mintex/ferodo compond pads.

The discs on your 90 are they solid or vented?What sort of money did you pay for the discs?

I have had a large batch of ap lockheed and brembo discs groved to the same spec as our own drift car ones and the results have been VERY good even useing std mintex/ferodo compond pads.

Chris, What drift car do you have? As i used to own a 200sx S14a pushing 300 bhp which did a bit of drifting.

engine006.jpg

Chris, What drift car do you have? As i used to own a 200sx S14a pushing 300 bhp which did a bit of drifting.

engine006.jpg

I am technical director for DME MOTORSPORT,WELLINGBOROGH.I am building next years drift car at the mo.

S14,2.4 stroker kit,GT35 turbo,side mounted rads,full 26 point t45 cage etc etc oh and itro 650BHP :blink::blink:

I am technical director for DME MOTORSPORT,WELLINGBOROGH.I am building next years drift car at the mo.

S14,2.4 stroker kit,GT35 turbo,side mounted rads,full 26 point t45 cage etc etc oh and itro 650BHP :blink::blink:

Nice but's still going to look like a Mondeo :P If i had of kept mine i would of gone the RB26 engine as the SR20DET starts to give dimishing returns after this. How much are you expecting to get from the engine without nitrous?

Anyway back to the subject how much are the Lockheed/Brembo discs?

Chris I have had the discs fitted for 3 yrs, I can't think how much I paid for them, but they will need renewing soon as they are wearing out.

They are vented front and solid rears, 2001 90TD5 with ABS/TC

Peter

I have rung around a few places today for prices for EBC front grooved discs and Greenstuff pads for MY '90 RRC 3.9 and this is what i got:

Rimmer bros: 2 front Rossini brake discs (No EBC discs in stock even though they have them advertised this month), 4 front EBC Greenstuff brake pads. £232.54 inc vat, P&P.

4X4 mailorder: (advertising in LRM this month) 2 front EBC slotted and dimpled discs and 4 front Greenstuff pads. £150 inc vat, P&P.

EBC Direct: 2 front slotted discs and 4 SUV pads (was told that EBC do not make Greenstuff pads for Range rover and the SUV pads were better?) £174.17 inc vat, P&P.

There has been quite a difference in price and what i'm being told is available, has anybody dealt with any of these company's? have any comments on the above products? or know where i can get them cheaper?

BEN Headhunter (john)

I will price up a kit for you both if you like. John i know you will need vented as yours is a 110, Ben what do you need vents or solid?

I have got a few sets of BREMBO and AP LOCKHEED vented in stock (6 groved pr side),but no solids. :(

But i could have some done and sent if needed by thursday/friday next week.

Chris

Edited by northernchris

Std ,fitted as it come. with EBC Disc and pads.

Peter

Unless you want to spend in excess of £600 for AP/Brembo/Alcon calipers i would stick to the std calipers.You wouldnt really gain anymore performance from the AP/Brembo/Alcon setup other than a weight saving.

I can do you a set of my own vented discs which have 6 groove pattern and some pads that will work (not some c**p painted green) for £137 inc vat + postage!!! Let me know what you think.

Regards Chris

I can do you a set of my own vented discs which have 6 groove pattern and some pads that will work (not some c**p painted green) for £137 inc vat + postage!!! Let me know what you think.

Regards Chris

Chris,

What are the pads?

Do you have a photo of the discs?

How much would the postage be?

Ben,

Some defender calipers have larger diam pistons, which improve the braking on rangies. But they don't have the same split hydraulic circuit as rangies (only one line to each front caliper). If you have the early solid rotors, you will have to change these as well.

I don't like drilled and grooved rotors for our use, because they hold mud etc, which accelerates the wear.

I don't like drilled and grooved rotors for our use, because they hold mud etc, which accelerates the wear.

I have grooved discs and find that they clear very well, the carp is pushed in to the groove and flung out when spinning, without the groove its compressed and acts like grinding paste.

Peter

I have grooved discs and find that they clear very well, the carp is pushed in to the groove and flung out when spinning, without the groove its compressed and acts like grinding paste.

Peter

I agree with Pete on this one, I have just fitted drilled and groved all round on my challange 90 but the two racers don't suffer that much and when you clean the truck you have to give them a quick blast with the presure washer but I find the Disc's a big improvment all round

both freelanders and the Disco and the 90 all have drilled and groved disc's and black EBC pads (multi use)

Julian

Chris,

What are the pads?

Do you have a photo of the discs?

How much would the postage be?

Lockheed pads (VERY good) i have used them on slow speed applications i.e landrovers etc good wear rates etc

Pics i will sort in the morning i am real busy at the mo.

Postage £10 will cover it (TNT)

Chris