Overland Trailers

Guys,

I have debated getting a trailer for awhile now, and after seeing the very awesome Ithende trailers at Billing, I definetley want one now.

I have a couple of options at this point:

1) Save for awhile & spend £12000 on a fully kitted out Ithende trailer (and risk putting back the start of London to Cape Town - again)

2) Design & build my own based on a Sankey chassis, over a considerable period of time.

I have seen Chris' (GBMUD) trailer at Billing, and it is very nice indeed, but the design would need tweaking for my own needs, but he has offered me any advice where necessary.

Does anyone own a Overland Trailer that they have bought already built (Trek Overland/Desert Wolf etc)?

Has anybody attempted something as grand as a project like this?

As it is very early days right now, I just need some pictures (LOTS, and close up!!) of various designs, showing drawers, storage space, tent mounting points etc.

Something I certainly will want to incorporate is an on-board water supply system, so any advice or info in this regard much appreciated.

As I dont have facilities to actually manufacture & bend steel, where do I start looking for someone to do this work for me? Ideally, not too far from Bedfordshire.

Thanks guys

Martin

Guest WALFY

If you are going to build your own then you need a list of the bits you need to carry. Water,fuel,spares,cooker,beding etc. Work out the volume that each item needs and the axcess that each item needs. Once you have that then you just need to piece it together like a 3D puzzle. Do you have any design software that you could play around with. Sankey trailers are heavy to start with and only get heavier the more bits you add. Could you not use a 110 to do the same job? Or another bigger vehicle? I would expect that for the money you'll spend making a trailer you could buy something Japanese that will be more comfortable and relable. HTH

Mark,

I do not have any design software to use, I will do it the old fashioned way & do it on paper. The actual design isn't really the problem, its how to physically do the metal work I need the help with.

Granted, a 110 or similiar would be ideal, but my current 90 is my first Land Rover, and its a good 'un that I want to hold on to. I love the old boy!

I expect that building my own will obviously not be a cheap affair, what with having to pay somebody for workshop time etc; but I would also like the challenge of attempting something like this, coupled with the satisfaction of seeing the end product.

Martin

Guest WALFY

Again that comes down to budget. Did you speak to Chris about the weight of the bare chassis before he started his build? Trying to find axles strong and high enough will be the problem. Sankeys do tow well behind a 90, we use them all the time at work. Extending the drawbar will make it tow even better but add to the weight. I can't think of any other off the shelf trailer that would suit your purpose. Without spending a lot of money.

Have you contacted any of the overland trailer manufacturers to see if you can buy a bare chassis and then spec it to what you want?

Hmmm, getting a bare chassis might be an option. I was quite excited about visiting the Trek Overland stand, but was really disappointed when I saw the quality compared to the Conquerors.

Chris didn't know the chassis weight or the final trailer weight, but he did lengthen the A frame which would have added to it though.

Maybe I could pursue the Trek Overland chassis & work from there?

Martin

Well i have a off road camer trailer which is really good. When i comes to these things it is often better to keep it simple and therefore less to go wrong

Here are some details of my trailer

It has a tool box on the front, 4 jerry can holder, two gas bottle holders, a 65 ltr water tank, and a tent pole holder. and a full kitchen in the back door

trailer.jpg

Hyman reece off road tow hitch

towhitch.jpg

External tap for washing hands and stuff, has tap also inside in the kitchen , but this makes it easy to access the 65 ltr water tank without having to undo the trailer

tap.jpg

Foldable Jock wheel so it is out of the way for off roading , and 2m draw bar, which makes off roading easyer and makes you able to open the back door of the car with the trailer on the back .

cartrailer.jpg

This is the trailer when open , we have another two sides for the awning which make another room on the front. The rear door of the trailer opens out and contains the litchen which is a sink, tap and cooker, with storage in the door

tentup.jpg

This is the bed which is the top of the trailer, . this gives you a 6' wide bed

Resized640x480_WB2653202672_G.jpg

There is also storage under the bed area

Resized640x480_WB2653202672_A.jpg

The surpension is leaf springs, Parabolic , no shocks, keep it simple , nothing really to go wrong

Resized640x480_tonys20shots20dads20.jpg

Since these pics were taken i have put land rover pattern hubs on the trailer

so i can use the same rims and tyres as the car. In these pics it has toyota pattern hubs

This was the other day when i spent a couple of days at Land Curser Mountain park , where i was doing a phot shot for Australian 4wd Action magazine

As you can see for just a night you can put up just the simple tent bit which takes about 2 mins to do

PICT0011.jpg

PICT0018.jpg

PICT0008.jpg

We draged this trailer 25,000 miles around australia doing thousand of miles of dirt tracks with corrigations , and also alot of 4 wd tracks as well as beach driving.

So we have tested it hard . It was also our home for 7 months while doing the trip around aus

Ok this will make you now cry, this whole trailer cost me £3500 all done brand new and ready to go

Hope you see all this before the post gets closed, deleted by the forum police for being off topic , you know what they are getting like these days :rolleyes:

Hmmm, getting a bare chassis might be an option. I was quite excited about visiting the Trek Overland stand, but was really disappointed when I saw the quality compared to the Conquerors.

Chris didn't know the chassis weight or the final trailer weight, but he did lengthen the A frame which would have added to it though.

Maybe I could pursue the Trek Overland chassis & work from there?

Martin

Don't know about the weight of a bare chassis, but a standard widetrack apparently has an unladen weight of 509kg:

EMLRA website

Matt

Check out Adventure Trailers. Tough as nails trailers for those who can do without the on board wine cellar, 24 piece dinner service and matching salt and pepper pots.

I know where there is an AT Chaser trailer if you want a closer look...

saw one of these at Gayden , and was not impressed at all. No storage space , small tent. Not very good to live in for a week or anymore than a night. If it was raining then you would have to sit in your car as no room . Also far too much over engeriered. too much weight on the noise too ( could not pick up the front and drag it around or onto the back of the car , far too heavy in general. . The draw bar is too short and this means you have to take it off to open the back door of the car. ( pain in the AR*e or what)

Never mind how much they are, Jeee wiz i nearly fell over when he told me how much they were

Kev, I have had a look at the website, thanks for the link. It says that you are the UK & European dealer. What sort of price would each of the models be then? Would there be any scope to modify further to my needs? Where is this Chaser model you are on about?

Martin

No storage space , small tent. Not very good to live in for a week or anymore than a night. If it was raining then you would have to sit in your car as no room.

The AT is not a park up for week base camp trailer, more of a pull up for the night before moving off early in the morning way of off-road trailering. The Trek Overland and their like style trailers are IMHO waaaaay too OTT for day to day use. I prefer the Adventure Trailers more simplistic approach for solo or two person travelling. Each to their own I guess. FWIW, a pull out awning/annexe is available to create extra living space.

The AT is not a park up for week base camp trailer, more of a pull up for the night before moving off early in the morning way of off-road trailering. The Trek Overland and their like style trailers are IMHO waaaaay too OTT for day to day use. I prefer the Adventure Trailers more simplistic approach for solo or two person travelling. Each to their own I guess. FWIW, a pull out awning/annexe is available to create extra living space.

Take you point but mine is both and belive me sometimes you want both .

Gaza, now were getting somewhere! Do you have any info on this trailer chassis? i.e what it comes off, weights etc.

Where would I get something like this from?

Martin

My dad just bought it from withams, http://www.witham-sv.com/ the next tender is september. They might have more they might not. Not sure about weights as its parked up 30 miles away. It is very similar design suspension wise to a rapier trailer I used to have. That was about 1/2 ton empty and would carry a ton, this is obviously lighter 300-350kg would be my best guess. The track is about 6" wider than my rapier. I think it is/was a bridging trailer?

Gaza

You are a lucky man, I have about 6 months of Aus 4wd action which I can give you, I think they probably have all the trailer info you could want and loads of pictures.

I can also let you borrow the magazine DVD's, but I want them back. I've back in Kettering today and tomorrow, so maybe we should arrange to meet up.

Ali, when do you appear in the mag, or has it already gone?

Well Martin at lest you had a good look at what['s available here.

The trailer that Trexoverland sell is a South African one. I forget the name ...

Now I have a couple of SA 4X4 mags. Would you like them. I'm waiting for my first copy of GO to arrive. thery'll be available in a couple of months. Then you can pinch ideas.

At least if you start with a chassis you get what you want.

Leaf springs are a must.

Only one thing botheres me about trailers.............

ELEPHANTS You can't reverse away fast enough :P

mike

reads90 - i love that trailer.

really really simple and clever and looks very tough.

my only concern with it would be security. Alot of the kit is on display and i would be worried about it being 'lifted' whilst sat in traffic etc especially in africa.

but again, looks simple and the tent is certainly a good size.

reads90 - i love that trailer.

really really simple and clever and looks very tough.

my only concern with it would be security. Alot of the kit is on display and i would be worried about it being 'lifted' whilst sat in traffic etc especially in africa.

but again, looks simple and the tent is certainly a good size.

The top and rear door lock so the inside storage is secure, The Gas bottles are also locked in place with pad locks, also the tool box and pole carrier. The spare tyre has a locking wheel nut. The jerry cans are not but not difficult to put a pad lock on them

Looking closer and you will see them although the last set of pics at land cruser park i did not have pad locks on as it was a couple of days thing , and i was with the truck and trailer at all times