4 replies to this topic

#1 cerenko

cerenko

• Settled In
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:46 PM

Hi, Can enyone please help.
I have just purcased a 03 freelander td4, great to drive apart from the fact that the gears are very stiff, they never miss or make a noise but dont half make your arm ache after a while, any ideas.

cheers.

#2 BogMonster

BogMonster

Old Hand

• Moderators
  • 11,869 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 02:47 PM

Has something gone wrong since you got it or do you just think the gears are stiff in comparison to whatever you used to drive?

Just wondering if there is a fault or whether it is "just a 4x4 gearbox" ... though the Getrag box in the Td4 is not what I would call stiff, it probably is heavier than most modern cars.
2002 Discovery II 4.0 V8 auto • 2006 Defender 110 SW 300Tdi • 2011 Ford Ranger XLT crewcab

#3 WESTENDER

WESTENDER

• Settled In
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 02:50 PM

Hi, Can enyone please help.
I have just purcased a 03 freelander td4, great to drive apart from the fact that the gears are very stiff, they never miss or make a noise but dont half make your arm ache after a while, any ideas.

cheers.

CERENKO
I would imagine it would be the linkage needing lubrication giving you a difficult gearchange as cold or thick oil slows the gears up making it difficult to change for a mile or so till the oil has warmed up a bit then the problem goes, try some penetrating fluid on the joints first

#4 cerenko

cerenko

• Settled In
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:43 PM

CERENKO
I would imagine it would be the linkage needing lubrication giving you a difficult gearchange as cold or thick oil slows the gears up making it difficult to change for a mile or so till the oil has warmed up a bit then the problem goes, try some penetrating fluid on the joints first

It is better when the car is cold? . the gears change great when the engine is not running, when it is running i have no problem getting them in but it is very stiff to the point of makeing ones arm hurt after a few miles of changing
Changing the gear box oil on wednesday so that my make the difference.

#5 cerenko

cerenko

• Settled In
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:30 PM

It is better when the car is cold? . the gears change great when the engine is not running, when it is running i have no problem getting them in but it is very stiff to the point of makeing ones arm hurt after a few miles of changing
Changing the gear box oil on wednesday so that my make the difference.

Just changed the gear box oil today, feels like new. problem solved. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users