How to remove steering column cowling...

Clive D

Ok, I realise this is probably pretty simple, but I'm new to taking my landy (Def 50th) apart and don't want to break anything!

I got as far as removing the steering wheel and the four screws that hold the bottom of the cowling to the top. I could get both top and bottom wiggling, but neither wanted to come free - particularly at the rear. Do I need to remove more of the dash to be able to remove the cowling halves to be able to change the indicator / horn / main-beam switch assembly?

Cheers, Clive

pull the column switch rubber boots out of the suround, from the bottom remove the 4 long screws that hold the top/bottom together & on the bottom nearest the instrument pack is a largish cross head screw remove that too, then the top/bottom suroubds should pull a part, you might need to move the instrument pack out of the way, if so remove the 4 screws [2 on bottom outer corners & 1 on each end] then ease it towards you but don't strain the wiring.

Thanks. I got all the cowling off (and discovered several missing screws along the way) but then discovered that the light / horn / indicator switch was attached to the wiper switch in a way that I wasn't sure I could undo, and was even less sure I could get back together, so I put it all back together again :)

Anyone recommend a friendly LR garage in Hertfordshire or surrounds I could get to do it for me?

Honestly this really is a DIY job and it is actually removing the wheel that for some reason causes people the most problems, you are practically there and if you have another look you should see the retaining screw on the column switches which will enable you just to lift the stalk assembly off.

Honestly this really is a DIY job and it is actually removing the wheel that for some reason causes people the most problems, you are practically there and if you have another look you should see the retaining screw on the column switches which will enable you just to lift the stalk assembly off.

Lol I started to try and change my the other day and the cowling was easy just the wheel was the tough bit.

As I was becoming increasingly more grumpy with it and not wanting to join the broken nose hall of shame I gave up for the time being and live with not being able to indicate right.

Its odd as I happily beat out suspension bushes (doing the A-frame ball joint tomorrow, yay!) but that steering wheel just makes me lose interest in changing the stalk every time??

Steering wheel was easy for me - aftermarket, dead easy to get off.

What is concerning me is the way it appears that the two stalk assemblies are connected. I only want to replace (and only have new) the lights / horn / indicator stalk and assembly. This is bolted, using two different connection points at least, to the wiper stalk assembley / switch. One appears to be some sort of hex or security type bolt (not in front of me right now - all put back together!) and the other looks like some sort of push on washer affair that I don't know will come off and go back on easily. Making sense?

Thanks for the encouragement..... we might still get there :)

If I was closer I'd come and help,

I had issues with my wash wipe arm but nothing major, and even the electrical numbnuts I am managed to put it all back together and even fix my manual single wipe (was broken prior to that - just had off/on/fast wipers :().

Think from memory that the Wash/Wipers stalk is held on by 2 screws, one of which goes through the stalk's pivot point, my pivot point had broken and the screw was holding it together, still is in fact around 8 months later.

Very straightforward task, would hate to see someone go to the stealerships for this.

After all that though my Indicator Stalk was fine, replaced it anyway on principal :D. I just need to re-align the 2 prongs which cancel the indicator - I found this out after I had put it all back together :( - the 2 prongs are vertical on mine, they should be horizontal I think... or vice versa... can never remember.

Cheers

Matt

No plan on going to a stearlership - if anything I'd have found an indy, but I guess as I've had it all apart once, I can do it again. The one thing that really still concerns me is the way the wash/wipe stalk is attached to the front of the mounting pate - it looks like this spiky washer has been pushed over a plastic pin - anyone know what I'm talking about here?