Do I need a boost gauge on 300tdi?

It makes much more sense than a rev-counter - I have both. The boost gauge will instantly tell you if there is something wrong with your turbo or the turbo pipes. It will also spot (or you can spot) a blockage in the system eg crud in the intercooler. It is also easy to fit, non-electronic, pretty cheap and fun to watch.

...and which would be the best place to measure the boost, Jim?

In a Td5, with the nanocom you get the reading from the sensor on the inlet manifold, so you get the actual pressure jut before air enters the cyilinders.

Would this be the best place in general, so in a 300tdi should one plumb the pick-up hose in the intake manifold as well?

Mine is tapped into the boost line from the turbo to the injection pump. This seems to be the easiest way to do it. You can, of course, drill and tap the inlet manifold which will give you the reading after the intercooler. It doesn't make much difference either way.

Mine is tapped into the boost line from the turbo to the injection pump. This seems to be the easiest way to do it. You can, of course, drill and tap the inlet manifold which will give you the reading after the intercooler. It doesn't make much difference either way.

Do you have some pics of the mounting place?

Thanks very much

Or you could do both and fit a pneumatic changeover valve to select which you want to read from B)

my boost gauge, sits on top of the dash near the screen pillar & the pipe goes through the bulkhead [same way as the wiring] & runs along back of bulkhead to the 'T' piece at the turbo boost actuator/wastegate. got mine from ebay, must get the illumination sorted.

Is this an exhaust temperature sensor on the turbo?

Yes -- it's all McNally kit for their combined EGT/Turbo Boost gauage.

I used an OE EGR gasket in combination with the drilled and tapped EGR blanking plate that McNally supply (it's listed for VW applications but is perfect for the 300Tdi). The OE gasket adds a fair bit of height (it's the one that sandwiches a spacer inbetween two gaskets) and in combination with the McNally plate provides for a fair bit of depth for the thermocouple.

So,on a 300tdi i have to buy an mecanical gauge?

How can I instal it?

Thanks

I have got one fitted to my 300tdi, I got the gauge off ebay and it was a straight swap for the clock in the dash, it came with the pipe and "T" piece you need. I fitted it in the pipe between the turbo and injector pump. All seems to work ok.

What boost dose everybody get mine reads 15-16 psi when my foot is flat.

What boost dose everybody get mine reads 15-16 psi when my foot is flat.

I get 1.2 bar max (measured at the inlet manifold as per the pic above). 1.2 bar = 17.4 psi.

You should see what a sustained uphill run at full boost holding a steady 65mph (on the A9 actually) into a strong headwind does to the exhaust gas temperature :lol: :lol:

Cheers,