Discovery Seats in Defender

Logic

Hello all

I'm trying to make my defender slightly more comfortable to try and persuade my wife into it more often (that's my story anyway). I'd been thinking that those discovery seats look the business, but was wondering if anybody had experience of fitting them into a 1999 era Defender? If so, are they a straightforward bolt in job, or is some modification necessary?

Thanks

i will be helping someone to do this into an 86 defender soon. the bases are different and need to be removed from the disco seats, and then a frame making up to fit them to the defender seat box.

unless you get some universal seat frames from a bucket type seat.

I have the seats from a 200 disco in my hybrid - muchos improvement on the defender ones. You will need to make up some custom frames to bolt them in.

Also, whilst the defender seats are relatively flat front to back, the disco ones are higher at the front than at the back, so you will need to block them up at the back to get the bases at the right angles for the slant of a defender seatbox.

To make mine I used (per seat):

Between the front mounts on the seat box: a length of 20mm box with the ends chamfered and drilled to allow access to bolt them in.

Between the back mounts on the seat box: a length of 2" x 4" box (could use 2" square), similar style as above to add the required height.

Between the bits of box, just some angle that used to be a 'road closed' sign frame welded on in the right places to match up with the disco seat rails.

I find the seats work well & I still have the slide adjustment if necessary. Only pain is that you have to unbolt the passenger seat to get into the battery box.

• Thanks 1

Guest diesel_jim

Yup, like uncle Ralph says, i've fitted disco seats to the 110 (well, they were in, but the internal cage hoop has got its sorry arse in the way, but that's another story.. :angry: )

I made up a frame from 1" (25mm) box, which bolts into the original defender M8 rivnuts, and locates onto the bottom of the disco seat runners (so you still have fore & aft movement)

They drop right back horizontally too, so you can either "have some fun".... or get some shut eye... whichever floats yer boat.

Frame welded up and cleaned up:

Powder coated and bolted to the seat:

In position:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all for your replies, and my appologies for not saying so earlier. Unexpected events put thoughts of my 90 on the backburner.

I'd initially been partially scared off when I read that brackets required made up, but after seeing diesel_jim's helpful pictures I'm a bit more hopeful. I may well be capable of this job :P

While I fully acknowledge that those brackets will be more than up to the job, does modifications of that sort affect any regulation type stuff to do with secure seat mounting etc.?

Guest diesel_jim
I assume the batteries are no longer very accessable?

No. they're not. and on a Td5, neither is the ECU, which actually helps security as it's a faff removing the seat, in the dark, without making any noise (expecially if you use security bolts) so can be quite helpful.

I plan to fit an anderson type connector onto my battery box, just to alleviate the hassle of needing a jump start sometime.

Helloodeyha, You could hinge seats at back to give access to battery/store boxes. Make sure to secure at front so you don't tip back when driving. I used strong T hinges in S111 14 years ago and still going strong. Also, the steering wheel may be closer to legs? I used smaller Mountney wheel. Hope you get on OK.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had Disco seats for a while but although comfortable on the posterior found them too high and I felt a bit hunched up under the wheel.  When I made the subframes I fabricated hinges into the rear mounts and used M8 bolts with plastic handles (from some old roof bars) on the front passenger side so quite a quick job to access the battery by tipping the seat back.  I also fitted a couple of short cables to an Anderson plug on the seat box to make for easy charging.

I still use the subframes but moved to a pair of Autotecnica bucket seats some time ago. These are super comfortable and really hold you in but there’s a quick learning curve to getting in and out over the side bolsters without damage to the “jewels”!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've got Disco 1 seats in the front of my 109, jacked up at the rear, but tbh I'm finding them too high and uncomfortable for driving any distance.  My plan is to pull out the seatbox altogether and make it flat-floored like any normal car then I can build new custom frames to hold the seats in a much better psoition.

Current project I'm just starting is to fit the second row seats in.  This is going to entail some modification of wheel boxes and custom frames, will create a project thread for it in due course.