New wheels too thick

• 2 weeks later...

Asked the same on EMLRA, got this reply ( after I had changed all my studs for the long 60mm ones).

I see no reason that it's not a genuine reply, but I have not personally seen the instruction.

AESP 2320-D-122-811 MODIFICATION INSTRUCTION No. 36:-

INTRODUCTION

1.1 The decision has been made to carry out a campaign change of the DEFENDER wheel rim to the DEFENDER(HS)WOLF wheel rim, in complete vehicle sets (qty 5).

1.2 The DEFENDER used a tubeless (7.50x16) tyre fitted with an inner tube on a tubed type rim. The tyres currently in use on the vehicle can be changed over to the new tubless rim utilising a 'snap-in' rubber valve. Due to the heavier construction of the replacement rim, the wheel nut torque has been increased to 170 Nm (125lb ft) to compensate for this.

Replacement wheel brace to be demanded and placed with CES to cope with increased wheel torque. Securing the wheel nuts as described is technically safe and road legal, even though the wheel stud does not protrude all the way through the nut.

Well, there you have it .

The increase in wheel nut torque is most important (so important that Modification Instructions include for a data plate to be fitted to the instrument binnacle cover, centrally above the fuel gauge, advising of revised wheel torque).

The replacement wheel brace is the standard Wolf type :NSN 7XD 5120 99 817 1229 (LANDROVER Pt No. NTC 7829)

Hope this comes as a kind of end to the WOLF wheel/older 90-110 question.

Chris.

• 3 years later...

XD/Wolf studs are EXACTLY the same length as older 90/110 so changing them makes no difference, the difference comes from the fact that the wolf wheel centre is thicker than the 5.5 inch wide standard wheels & the drum brake thickness makes the studs look short, BUT the studs are only different in thread type -- nothing else.

I bought a full set of XD studs to replace as I believed the XD studs were longer but found that it made no change, I trial fitted a wheel with the brake drum off & then the stud/nut when tightend was the same as the front wheel stud/nuts, so it's down to the drum brake thickness as mentioned above.

photo of my rear XD/Wolf wheels on my DRUM Braked rear axle on my 110. Never had a loose nut or broken stud, these have been fitted since 1998 & my 110 has never failed a MOT because of them.

IMG_0345.jpg

Same here...I've a MOD 110 that I put Wolf wheels on....wheels nuts stay tight...never had a problem with forest off roading fully loaded with wood....

Just say'in like.......

:)