Superwinch H14 PTO install

Having become the recent proud owner of a Superwinch H14 PTO winch, all of the PTO kit & a heavy duty winch bumper for the grand sum of £275, I'm keen to get it fitted to the Landy, but am missing any sort of instructions....

I know the knowledgeable amounst you will say that it's all pretty obvious, but from my initial guesswork holding the PTO unit up against the transfer box, I think someone may have put the engagement level on the wrong way round, which has thrown me a bit!

Any one got a book of words on the Superwinch H14 that shows exactly where all the PTO bits are meant ot bolt on? Or if you have one fitted, some pics of the underneath of your landy would be of use!

Dave,

I have the earlier version know as the '525'. I just rang up superwinch in devon and asked for a copy of the manual. I got it in the post the next day. They were very helpful - only difficulty was persuading the young tech help bod that they actualy made the thing as it wasn't on his computor.

However it is not that hard......

Take off PTO cover of gear box.

Offer up PTO unit (heavy ish....). Some of the bolts are a f**king pain to get in.

Use the adaptor shaft that should have come with the winch (bet it didn't) and a torque wrench to set up the overload clutch to the correct torque for your winch rope.

Install drive shaft. Would suggest that you check the bearings and the UJ's in the drive shaft. After a 2 day challenge event I am allways stripping down the bloody thing. The rest of the winch is bomb proof though. I managed to get the UJ's in the post at £15 each. I have the part number some where if you are interested. Would also use thread locker on the bearing support brackets that bolt onto the gearbox as they can come off. Also make sure that the bearings will slide up and down the shafts before you try and fit it. Otherwise you will end up struggling under the vehicle trying to line them up to the gear box mounting holes. All these components are located on the drive shaft by small grub screws. I have found that they fall out even with thread locker on. I have found that the only solution it to find shorter grub screws and put in two, locking them against each other.

If the H14 is the same as the 525, then you will then need to do the following:

Remove old bumper

Cut out front panel along bottom edge to allow winch to sit back against the cross member under the rad.

Bolt in the winch/bumper. This needs two folk unless your inventive or have lifting tackle.

This will allow you to work out where the plates that need welding to the underside of the rad cross member go. The bolt the rear of the winch down.

Install engagemant lever. This should come out between the handbrake and the transmission tunnel. Don't forget to allow for the thickness of the tunnel cover when marking out the loaction........ other wise you will allways be fumbling for the lever.

Top up transfer box a bit and go for a drive. This will chuck oil into the PTO unit. Recheck transfer box level.

Winch away all day. You can pull 4000kg line pull at the speed of an 8274 under no load, or 10 time the speed of an 8274 under 8000lb load. Only issue is that if you try and drive assist the wheels will go 3x speed of winch. Fine if you have trees, other wise you need a damn good gound anchor.

Hope this helps,

Adrian

P.S. Forgot to mention the exhaust mods...... If you have a 90 then you need to mess about with the middle box, or just remove it for some straight pipe. This is to allow you to clear the winch drive shaft. I also found my brothers car lift a god send for this job.

p.s.s will take pictures under my landy if needed.

Dave,

Hopefully there will be some pictures below:

PTObox.jpg

This is the best view I could get of the PTO box. I did not rotate it, but chose to fit a guard underneath it. I have heard of people rotating the PTO box towards th passenger side of the vehicle to get it up out of the way. But you will end up with more drive shaft/exhaust issues if you do that. The picture taking exercise did make me realise that I have lost the red plastic cover from the indent/overload unit!

The pictures below are just different shots of the guard my brother knocked up for me. Apparently it is possible to catch the bottom of the PTP box on rocks etc and break it off the transfer box..... as stated by Will.

PTOboxgaurd.jpg

PTOboxgaurd2.jpg

Thought this might be useful info:

Drive shaft bearings - I fitted RHP sealed bearings code '1020-3/4G'

Drive shaft UJ's - GU 350 universal joint. Think that these come from the GKN '505' range. I found these at ~£16 each including postage.

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Adrian,

Thanks for the pictures - I think I might try and rotate the pto as far as possible to avoid catching it on stray rocks / tree roots & modify the engage lever to appear at a suitable point through the seat box.

I don't suppose your winch has the early H14 style engage mechanism? (The lever that comes up the back of the winch housing with 2 holes in it; NOT the mushroom shaped knob on the side of the winch housing) If so, any chance you could take a picture of the 'operation lever' - the one that sticks up the back of the winch housing (lhs) and is used to engage the winch. There sould be 2 holes in it that the sprung loaded locking pin (which is mounted to the top of the winch casing) locks into.

Also, the exact menaurement between the centers of the 2 holes would be really useful.

Mine was broken off & is missing. I'd like to fabricate a new one but have no idea what it's supposed to look like.....!

Thanks again,

Dave.

Hi Dave, you should have got my email with a few pics as I got your PM through Difflock?

Mine is the same as Adrians and this is the best pic I can find at the moment of the engagement lever:

BuggeredPTO.jpg

I can't quite work out what the bit you need pictures of, but does this help at all?

75696fd1.jpg

If there's any specific parts you need a picture of let me know and I'll get my brother to take some.

Richard

Richard,

Thanks for those pics. Did you catch the bottom of the PTO unit on a passing rock to snap the cast like that?

If you have the early H14 style 'operation lever' on the winch (explained in a bit more detail above), a pic or two of that & some dimensions would be great.

Didn't get your email from difflock... something must be broke there!

Thanks,

Dave.

Richard,

Thanks for those pics. Did you catch the bottom of the PTO unit on a passing rock to snap the cast like that?

If you have the early H14 style 'operation lever' on the winch (explained in a bit more detail above), a pic or two of that & some dimensions would be great.

Didn't get your email from difflock... something must be broke there!

Thanks,

Dave.

I sent it to a rocketmail.com address, PM me with whatever it is and I'll try again!

Caught the PTO at idle speed in low 1st going through some ruts with a treestump somewhere in the middle. Didn't even feel or hear it come off, only noticed when we went to use the winch again and it didn't work - had a look underneath and the bottom was missing!

My new PTO has a lever with two holes at one end, and is slightly longer than the one with the red knob in the pic above. If you want a pic and measurement of that I can ask my brother (he's got the vehicle at home, I'm at uni).

Richard

This is what's left of the 'operation and locking lever' on the LHS of my winch casing. Anyone got a similar one that is complete?

winch_casing.jpg

The Model / Serial number on the blue plate is H14 1474

I have the same locking leaver arrangement - will try to take some pictures in daylight - the winch is hydraulic version - if any other pictures would help let me know...

• 1 year later...

Hello Everybody!

I'm new here, just discovered your forum while searching around.

I have the same PTO winch (like the '525' above), and here is my question:

I had bought this winch a few years ago ('98) and installed it into my brand new 1998 defender 130 (300tdi). I had to modify the routing of the drive shaft but it was working fine. Yesterday I have decided to transfer it into my 110 (also a 300tdi, but with a 1998 discovery transfer box: 1:1.22), and the driving dog does not engage onto the gear in the transfer box. Is it possible that these PTO teeth are different in a disco box? In that case is there any solution (some part to replace maybe?) or do I need to go back to a 1:1.41 defender transfer box?

Thanks in advance

Oliver

Dave,

Congrats with your Dibnah style winch. Another point I ould like to add: You really should add a slider joint in the driveshaft if there isn't one in there already. I have had many occasions wereby the movement off the engine backward and forward caused the shaft to get disengaged from a UJ, leaving me with no drive and lost components.

Adrian is also well aware of this, it has been the only real downside of the pto setup. I have rotated the PTO as well, which makes the routing of the shaft much better. The other thing I did was locking the slipclutch solid. THis has made it pull just about anything, but as a result I shared a key in the bottom sprocket. this is easily replaced though.

Daan

Another point I ould like to add: You really should add a slider joint in the driveshaft if there isn't one in there already. I have had many occasions wereby the movement off the engine backward and forward caused the shaft to get disengaged from a UJ

My setup is such that the driveshaft is supported by the engine/gearbox ensemble all the way to the front, and the only place where there is movement is at the front, where the sliding hexagonal shaft is fitted anyways.

Checked with superwinch today: "the PTO should work on the disco transfer box, no reason why not"

Removed the PTO to find out what's wrong: no teeth on the input gear, I guess that won't work (Don't know why i haven't noticed that when I installed it :unsure: ).

The input gear with PTO teeth is available for the disco but £112 delivered (!!!) so I'll have to save a bit.... :angry:

Hope this info helps...

The input gear with PTO teeth is available for the disco but £112 delivered (!!!) so I'll have to save a bit.... :angry:

Who the heck quoted you that money? :blink:

My last two input gears were £50 each from Ashcrofts (one for a 1.0:1 and one for 1.222:1) and both have the PTO teeth on them IIRC. Hell I might even rummage round and test-fit them with my PTO B)

My H14's free spool mechanism doesn't work, does anybody now how to operate this, do I have to pull or turn the mushroom shaped knob? What can be wrong with it? Does anybody know where I can download a manual, I don't think Superwinch will send one to the Netherlands..

My H14's free spool mechanism doesn't work, does anybody now how to operate this, do I have to pull or turn the mushroom shaped knob? What can be wrong with it? Does anybody know where I can download a manual, I don't think Superwinch will send one to the Netherlands..

PM me your email addy and I'll send you the manuals I have - sounds like you have a problem with engage/disengage mechisnisem

Steve

PM me your email addy and I'll send you the manuals I have - sounds like you have a problem with engage/disengage mechisnisem

Steve

Heya,

Would it be possible to get a copy of the manual for the H14 too? That'd be great but would you also have the phone number for superwinch UK as I cant find it.

many thanks,

H

Heya,

Would it be possible to get a copy of the manual for the H14 too? That'd be great but would you also have the phone number for superwinch UK as I cant find it.

many thanks,

H

UK no for superwinch +44(0)1822 614101

Tell what H14 you have and they will email you a pdf copy or pm me your email addy and I'll send you a copy of the one I have.

Steve