Changing a P38 Rear Wiper

Okay, probably a daft question but...

How do you change the rear wiper on a P38? :unsure:

It tucks itself away under the trim at the top of the screen and it doesn't look like you can lift the arm enough to remove the old blade. I've tried starting the wiper then turning the ignition off to stop it out on the screen, but it's outwitted me - it still completes its sweep and parks properly where I can't get at it :angry:

Ha ha ha, sorry, that takes me back to virtually the first query I ever answered ... memories eh!

Switch the wiper on, then press the tailgate unlock button, you may perhaps have to lift the glass an inch, before lowering it gently. I guess it depends on the springiness of the rubber seal.

Timing is everything, of course, to ensure you stop the sweep when the arm is vertical.

Cheers

Just found the text in the Owners manual (The '99 version is part of the RAVE CD compilation)

REAR WIPER BLADE REPLACEMENT

The rear wiper arm is inaccessible in its stowed position (under a cover at the top of the tailgate).

To change the wiper blade, it is necessary to stop the wiper arm during its travel as follows:

Set the rear screen wiper operating, then open the upper tailgate when the wiper is in a near-vertical position. The wiper will stop as soon as the tailgate is opened.

Turn the starter switch to the ’0’ position to prevent the wiper from operating, lower the upper tailgate and then replace the wiper blade (as described for front wiper blade overleaf). The wiper will continue operating as soon as the starter switch is returned to position ’I’.

After consulting the handbook, Land Rover have a somewhat easier suggestion - the official method is to turn the wiper on then open the upper tailgate when it's at the bottom of its sweep.

I found that lowering the tailgate back down to get at the wiper started it again unless I lowered the bottom tailgate first.