200Tdi - Td5 Gauges Upgrade

This topic has been well covered in the infamous 'wibbly wobbly speedo' thread (see here), however I wanted to try and consolidate the information contained within all those pages somewhat to make it easier for people to do this upgrade. So this is going to be my worklog on how it goes for me. So let's get started.

I will be putting the Td5 speedo, fuel gauge and temperature gauge into my dash. Kept standard (200Tdi) will be the dash housing (for now), and the instrument warning lights pack.

This is what I have so far:

DSC00541.JPG

In this diagram we have:

1. Heater fan-speed control illumination bulb (unused)

2. Speedo

3. Temperature gauge

4. Fuel gauge

5. Heater temp/distribution control illumination bulb (unused)

6. Loom end plug

I need to obtain:

- Speedo transducer and relevant fittings

- A green 300Tdi water temp sender, and a second 200Tdi one to use as an adaptor

- Various wiring parts (wire/plugs/etc)

- Probably more stuff too

My speedo when powered looks like this:

DSC00539.JPG

Needs a bit adding to make it up to 144,000 miles but that's a job for soon. I have a question or two to start with, for those who have done this conversion before:

1. The end plug of the gauges loom, item 6 in the first picture above, does anybody know the part number (RS I presume) for the counterpart plug? I'd like to make this installation as tidy as possible, so the correct plug/terminals would be great

Edit: I've partially found the answer to that here: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=28502, does anyone know of a source for these connectors? Other than buying a whole loom?

2. The speedo as shown above reads 67,689 miles. Mine has 144,000 miles on the clock...how does the Td5 display show the extra digit required? Is the decimal point etc removed and only whole numbers shown?

Many thanks all

Yes when you wind your display on it drops the decimal point. I clocked mine on by wiring in the speed sensing transducer that goes in the gearbox (all on the bench of course). The transducer flicks between a high and low signal. Turn the transducer till you have a high and fit a clock generator into the return wire. They wind on at about 800mph or so IIRC. I've got another one to do in a couple of weeks if anyone needs a proper guide to do it.

Needs a bit adding to make it up to 144,000 miles but that's a job for soon. I have a question or two to start with, for those who have done this conversion before:

1. The end plug of the gauges loom, item 6 in the first picture above, does anybody know the part number (RS I presume) for the counterpart plug? I'd like to make this installation as tidy as possible, so the correct plug/terminals would be great

Edit: I've partially found the answer to that here: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=28502, does anyone know of a source for these connectors? Other than buying a whole loom?

2. The speedo as shown above reads 67,689 miles. Mine has 144,000 miles on the clock...how does the Td5 display show the extra digit required? Is the decimal point etc removed and only whole numbers shown?

1, The matching plug is within the thread you linked to above The makers have a depot at South Marston Swindon.

SEWS-E, UK

Customer Support & Distribution Centre

Stirling Court

Stirling Road

South Marston

Swindon

Wiltshire

SN3 4TQ

01793 836440

E.mail info@sews-e.com

the parts are the highlighted items on the 2 pages below :D

2, the decimal point disappears & shows the total 6 figure mileage, but the TRIP reading retains the decimal point, when you select the trip reading by a quick push on the reset button. push & hold the button for 3 seconds to reset trip to 0000

within the wibbly wobbly speedo thread, I mentioned that I sent my speedo away to www.digidash.co.uk had it back reset to the reading of my 110's mileage within 4 days. cost me IIRC 74 quid inc postage both ways.

post-20-1245349406_thumb.jpg

post-20-1245349436_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I've ruled out the electric drill method as I worked out it needed more than a month or two running constantly to rack up the 80,000 miles I have to add on. I'll send it to Digidash as you did Western, when I have some more money to play with. Got to buy all the transducer etc yet :(

Thanks for the info re. the plug, I will contact those guys and get a couple of plugs (bound to bust one) and a shed-load of terminals :)

I am going to try and create an 'idiots diagram' of the dash loom one should end up with (ie. the standard Td5 loom modified to match the ROW 300Tdi loom). So far I have this:

dash_loom.jpg

Just temporary for now, will do a digitised version, but this shows the relevant connectors on the loom, and how it needs to be. It's basically the wiring information for the ROW 300Tdi loom, the difference being the signal from the 300Tdi temp sender being passed through the lower speedo plug (plug B) before going to the gauge.

James, thanks so much for starting this thread! :)

Just today, I was thinking of asking for the consolidated info from the Wibbly Wobbly thread, as I find the 16 pages a bit of a trawl, and it has put me off starting this mod.

Where has everyone doing this mod been sourcing the TD5 speedo's from?

Martin

Just today, I was thinking of asking for the consolidated info from the Wibbly Wobbly thread, as I find the 16 pages a bit of a trawl, and it has put me off starting this mod.

Martin

easy most come from ebay

Martin

No worries. When complete I will write up a full 'idiots guide'.

And as Ralph has correctly pointed out, they generally come from eBay. Plenty about, mine was about £35.

One here, for example. I bought all mine from that seller, the speedo, fuel and temp gauges and the loom. Lots more to choose from, occasionally a whole binnacle will come up, with the later type warning light panel and lit surround too. That's a whole seperate ball game though :P

the warning light panel is fairly easy to fit, once the wires & use has been sussed, but all that info is in the wibbly wobbly speedo thread too :D the heater control illuminated slider bits are just plug the blub holder in & work from the gauge illumination.

looking good so far, just shout if you need some info

Sorry to ask again Ralph, you don't happen to know what size the wires in the dash are do you? In terms of which of the two sizes of connectors I need to order. I'd imagine it's the larger one but I'd like to be sure.

Ta

no need to be sorry about asking again, but unfortunatly I don't know the wire sizes within the dash wiring, I used a plug from a 2001 Freelander that was offered to me by PaulMc, I just connected it to the existing wiring by soldering it on.

Autosparks.co.uk should be able to advise the wire sizes, as they make main dash & other looms for LR's. just ring or drop them a e.mail. but hopefully a fellow member will know the info.

Well I have some wire in my collection that is of a similar size to the wiring in the loom, that is marked 24/0.2. This apparently has a nominal conductor area of 0.75mm² (as shown here). That puts it well within the 0.5 - 1.25mm² spec of the larger terminal size. I'll go for those :)

I will update tomorrow with some more details, prices etc, once I've contacted SEWS-E in Swindon :)

The plot thickens...

It appears that it's damn-near impossible to obtain this plug new, and a royal pain in the behind second-hand. The supplier (SEWS-E) only sells them through a distributor (Dell Road Dist.), and only in stupid numbers, for example the terminals only come in packs of 5,000! :o

Thinking I'd try the second-hand route I phoned a couple of vehicle dismantlers who deal with Land Rovers (CWS 4x4 and Equicar) and neither of them could help, they only sell the whole loom for several hundred pounds, and won't split the plug. No thanks.

I may have to ask the help of the forum on this one, if anyone knows of a Defender Td5 being broken somewhere near to them (or even to me), please let me know. I'll gladly pay someone to cover any costs if they'll go nick me the plug off it :)

i found on ebay a disco300tdi dash loom it had nearly identical connector so i just cut it about a bit and fitted perfectly

i seem to be having problems with my temp guage as it won't read at all

i bought a new vdo temp guage and matched sender so it has to be something to do with my wiring ;)

2009_05090046.jpg

i need to fit a warning panel i ve got it all wired up and ready just not wired it in

can i ask how did people connect into the old wiring panal loom?

ps i ll take a pic tonight of the connector

74 quid ... i remember you talking about getting that done. If i'd known, I'd of done it for ya for the price of a stamp.

ive just got my hands on a td5 speedo with 50,000 on the clock and i need to get it to 120,000 how do you do it as i cant justify spending £75 to have it done? any advice would be great.

74 quid ... i remember you talking about getting that done. If i'd known, I'd of done it for ya for the price of a stamp.

Youll be sorry you ever said that.. Ive bought a speedo to do the same and would like the mileage sorted. Would that be a first class stamp?? :D

Youll be sorry you ever said that.. Ive bought a speedo to do the same and would like the mileage sorted. Would that be a first class stamp?? :D

Ah yes but that was an offer to western who has helped me out greatly in the past. The offer to western will stand just in case for any strange reason he needs another one done, I may even do one or two for long standing forummers for a forum donation, but i aint doing loads of em :P

i bought a new vdo temp guage and matched sender so it has to be something to do with my wiring ;)

2009_05090046.jpg

i couldn't get the td5 temp gauge to work either so replaced it with the same VDO one you have

Ah yes but that was an offer to western who has helped me out greatly in the past. The offer to western will stand just in case for any strange reason he needs another one done, I may even do one or two for long standing forummers for a forum donation, but i aint doing loads of em :P

Cheers Jimmy :i-m_so_happy:

i couldn't get the td5 temp gauge to work either so replaced it with the same VDO one you have

got mine to work, & how I did it is in the other thread, also Ed moved the temp gauge wire to another pin on the back of the speedo IIRC, that's in the other thread too.

You want the temp wiring as per my diagram posted earlier in this thread.

As for my connector search, I think I'm going to cut my losses and buy a 15-way connector from VWP, cut the existing one off and fit a new male/female set. It's the most hassle-free way.

A bit off yet, got some bills to pay off first :(

or use 15amp spade connectors, which I did on the original loom to get the TD5 pack to work, since replaced by the 300Tdi ROW loom & a 2001 Freelander vehicle socket. might be worth a look around a Scrappy for a dead Freelander & obtain the socket from it.