Testing A-Frame Bushings and Ball Joint

Hi All,

I've been struggling with a clunk in my rear transmission path for quite some time. It occurred to me lately that the clunk might actually be coming from the A-frame with loose fittings.

Yesterday, I was doing some work underneath and by chance touched the upper link which, to my surprise, produced a clunking noise. This morning I got under the truck again with a pry-bar, but couldn't make it clunk again, so my pry-bar test can't be trusted. I choked the wheels and released both the parking brake and the gear box. My driveway is slightly sloped towards the rear of the vehicle. BTW, the clunking bushing looks just fine.

Guys, how can I tell if the bushings need to be replaced? How can I tell if the ball joint needs to be replaced?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

/Jaroslav

the way i check for play in the a-frame is with the vehicle on the ground get someone to rock the wheels at 3 and 9 o'clock as if you are checking wheel - bearing play, this will show play in the a-frame, also with the handbrake applied rock vehicle back and forth while laying under neath and you should she any movement present and this will also show play in the link arms too.

hth.

jon

... with the handbrake applied rock vehicle back and forth while laying under neath and you should she any movement present and this will also show play in the link arms too.

hth.

jon

It worked like a breeze! It was a very educational experience too. Laying under the vehicle and rocking it with my foot showed how the different part of the read suspension interacted with each other.

And BTW, now I know that I need a new a-frame ball joint!