CSW rear glass

Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the rear sliding glass from a 110 station wagon and replace it with something flat, like a sheet of ally perhaps?

going to be building the storage in soon and was thinking about siliconing them up but then thought; if one gets broken and there's storage built behind it, that won't be fun.

i know you can get the opening door things for them but really i want to keep it as standard as i can.

anyone done or attempted this?

You can remove the sliding side windows complete with froame, extract the rubber filler strip & drill out the rivets [lots of them] then get a shet of alloy cut to the full size of the side panel & fit it over the top with rivets around the edge.

or

just buy 2 88" rear side panels & fit them instead of the existing pamels. there's photo's of how to do that in the members vehicles forum.

In an ideal world i'd replace the panel and make it like a 110 van, but that'dve been a job for before i painted! only just thought about the breakage issue, was going to seal them up with silicone.

so i couldn't remove the glass and get some ally to fit in the frame? i'd rather not drill them out if i can help it...

No, the glass physically won't come out unless the frame is removed, by drilling the pop rivits.

Once the frame is out, there's two countersunk screws on one side of the frame, the other side is cherry rivitted.

Remove the screws and the frame will open up at one end, just enough to get the panes out.

Then the new sheet will go in.

If you do go down this route, please give me a bell. I'm still looking for the plastic runner strip that sits in the bottom of the frame channel. This part is now obsolete, and is all that's stopping me refit my windows properly!

Cieranc, i tried pm'ing you twice but its saying i haven't sent anything, it looks like i'll be going for the full ally side route if i have to take them out anyway, so pm me or mail me at: el.traveller@yahoo.co.uk and we'll see what we can work out :)

A 110 or a Defender ? You did say 110 ?

On the 110 the glass will easily lift out. You can then if you wish replace the glass with alli panels. You can make them slide just like the glass to have access like the Alli-Cab conversions. http://www.alu-cab.co.za/

If a Defender get a pair of 88" sides and just replace the lot.

HTH

its a defender 110 county, i was hoping i could leave the frame in in case i ever wanted to put it back to standard, and replace the glass with one sheet of aluminium to blank off the rear.

they're the type of windows which are riveted in, so (according to a recent thread) easier to get out than the later bonded ones, but if i have to take the frame out to get the sheet in place of the glass, i may as well do what pathfinder did and cover the whole panel.