MegaTune not connecting

lansalot

Folks, any help here ?

Tried using search (and google), but no joy.

I'm using a Prolific-chipset USB->serial adapter, and in PuTTY, it works fine. An "S" to COM19 gives me this back:

MS1/Extra format 029y3 *********

All well and good. When I start MegaTune, I get "The selected communication port (COM19) could not be opened", along with an offer to work in offline mode.

common.ini is as follows:

[MegaTune]

MTversion = 2.25

[Constants]

writeBlocks = off ; Default is on.

interWriteDelay = 1 ; Milliseconds delay after each byte when writeBlocks is "on".

(I changed delay to 1 from 5 - made no difference - as per the docs)

I had thought perhaps putty had locked the port, but it doesn't appear to. A full reload and straight into MegaTune gives me the same thing. I can start PuTTY any time and it works fine. Any ideas ?

A

Yes and No - so to speak :huh:

No, as in it sounds as though you know more about Poooters than I'll prob ever forget :lol:

But

I have "Battled" with this sort of MT issue many a time

1st is that USB to serial convertors with MT are reknowned for being flakey

some work, then for no reason stop and defy all efforts to fix

Some never work at all, whatever you try

and some are good, In the end with my In Board Tablet I bought the recomended on

from maplins, I'm sure a search will bring the part number up

Second is the comm port itself, I had to hunt around and switch comms whenever I shoved any

thing else in - even a F Pen drive, so know it has a "dedicated" USB Port and I never ever

use anything else on it

also check the firmware codes against what it is trying to open up, do you have 029y and not 029v ?

even so it still should open all be it with errors ?

Is the this 1st time you have tried to connect, or has it just thrown its MS feet in the air for

some werid reason ?

Have you changed anything ot done / modified / f about with anything since it last worked (if not a

1st attempt to load up) these answers may help, either from me or a grown up :D

Nige

I assume you closed PuTTY before tryin to get MT to connect?

Other thing is... get the most recent drivers for the USB-Serial adapter, and try again then roll back to older ones, I know I had to arse about to get it to work, but now it is 99% reliable.

One last thing, delete anythiing USB related in device mangler and let it all install again, it might cure it -it has for me with other devices hundreds of times.

Thanks guys

was getting nothing at all with the drivers that came with it, but a trip to the manufacturer website got me a working set.

Am trying megatune with putty closed, there should be nothing conflicting or fighting over the port. Will try on main pc instead of laptop I think, see what happens. Will report back later.

This is all brand new stuff, never seen a vehicle (yet). Ecu from phil at extraefi.

Edit: thanks landmann - I read that link before buying and was sure to find prolific chipsets as it seemed good results had been had with it. As it chats with putty ok, I'm guessing the fundamentals are ok.

A

What port speed are you using in MT? IIRC it should be :

Timer interval: 50ms

Baaud rate: 9600

Beware the port number seems to ranomly change occasionally, especially if yu move USB port, checking the port number in device mangler is a sure way to know which you should be using.

Tried it on the desktop - it works fine (once I'd connected up all 3 common grounds). Tried same on laptop, still not working.

Suspect it may be something to do with the Bluetooth COM port emulators, maybe one of them is sticking their oar in.

Will give it some thought, maybe just disabling BT will be enough. Anyway, can at least chat to it now on the desktop, so I know the system is OK.

Bit of a load off my mind - this isn't to say the USB/serial is 100% yet, but am hoping.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

As an addition: clearly I'm not that good. Went into work today and noticed the docking station had a hardware COM port on it. So I knocked the dust off it and took it home. DOH !!!

Next step...Bolt the docking station to the dash and leave it all wired in.

Steve

I should have guessed - system was saying there was a hardware port, but clearly there wasn't. Forgot I even had a docking station, that's what happens when work hands the kit out.

Now, if I could just get megatune running on the iPhone (or my nokia n800)... now there's an idea.... off to the msefi forums to plant some seeds I think :)