Webasto thermo top C in a TD5

isbjorn

Hi again.

I need a guide for the installation of a webasto thermo top C in my 99 TD5. I already have the german version but I need one i English. I can probably do it with my german one, but It would be nice to know more about how to connect the electrics, which cables to cross and so forth (and my german aint that greate).

anyway, if anyone happens to have a guide or some useful tips I would really appreciate a copy...

Also it seams to be a installation kit for sale, but I cant find it (67502A according to the manual). And my land rover guys claims there is no such thing. Are they right?

thanks

67502A is not a kit made by LR but a kit made by Webasto for the Defender. So I'd say your LR guys are right.

99 Td5 Defender or Discovery? Judging by the above, I suspect Defender.

Do you need the general installation instruction manual (i.e. not vehicle specific) or the one specific to your Disco/Defender?

• 4 months later...

Hi

I've also just got a new Freelander Webasto FBH for next to nothing off Ebay. Would you mind letting me know if you have installed yours in your Defender, and where you fitted the unit?

Thanks

Tom

• 7 months later...

I'm just about to embark on Installing a Webasto Thermo top C in my TD5 90, after I've removed it from a Rover 75. My main worry is the fuel feed, as I don't like the sound of having to remove the fuel tank. I'm considering possibly an aux fuel tank for it, but does anyone have any other ideas? The dedicated TD5 installation instructions would be really handy as well if anyone has a copy.

I'm just about to embark on Installing a Webasto Thermo top C in my TD5 90, after I've removed it from a Rover 75. My main worry is the fuel feed, as I don't like the sound of having to remove the fuel tank. I'm considering possibly an aux fuel tank for it, but does anyone have any other ideas? The dedicated TD5 installation instructions would be really handy as well if anyone has a copy.

Just fit the auxiliary standpipe available from Webasto, take out the sender, drill 32mm hole cut standpipe to length so about 25mm from bottom of tank fit with supplied seals, refit sender.

standpipe :-353205 FUEL STANDPIPE SINGLE 5MM X

500MM LONG

Edited by fozsug

Just fit the auxiliary standpipe available from Webasto, take out the sender, drill 32mm hole cut standpipe to length so about 25mm from bottom of tank fit with supplied seals, refit sender.

standpipe :-353205 FUEL STANDPIPE SINGLE 5MM X

500MM LONG

What does the auxiliary stand pipe do?

Beware the German habit of using Brown wire as Earth!!!! :ph34r: This caught me out once and I blew an old Eberspacher control unit. I think they used Red for +12v - its worth being V careful when wiring up - I would revert to LR (British) colour codes to save confusion in the future. I have some info but its on a different machine, will fwd if I get my hands on it soon enough.

Jim

On the top of the tank there is a plastic extruded nipple. You can drop the tank on a floor jack without disconnecting the tank. You just take a pair of scissors and cut the nipple off, then slide the pipe down. I have had my webasto in for 2 years now. When dropping the tank the longest part is taking the tow bracket out of the way.

I dont speak any German but I had a tech from Webasto walk me through the color chart on the installation. I did it by myself and had no issues. I can upload pics if needed.

pOn the top of the tank there is a plastic extruded nipple. You can drop the tank on a floor jack without disconnecting the tank. You just take a pair of scissors and cut the nipple off, then slide the pipe down. I have had my webasto in for 2 years now. When dropping the tank the longest part is taking the tow bracket out of the way.

I dont speak any German but I had a tech from Webasto walk me through the color chart on the installation. I did it by myself and had no issues. I can upload pics if needed.

Pics would be much appreciated.

Attached are three images. One shows the Webasto mounted (on a left hand drive) Onother shows the relays mounted. Another shows how the pipes are spliced. I know the pics are not the best. I would recommend that you have somebody familiar with Relays and a test light before you start cutting wires to your blower on your heat.

Regarding the fuel: The fuel line is idiot proof (just make sure when you hook up the hose you prime the line. It is easier to take a jar of fuel and set it near the webasto and suck it back down to the pump. After you siphon the line and wash your mouth out quickly hook it into the pump. You dont want air in the line as it can screw with the pump. The pump should have come pre-primed (dont take the plastic parts off of it until your are ready for the final fitment.

Before testing the webasto run your heater and make sure you dont have any leaks in the water line. You can email this guy with your color questions (he is in the US but speaks German) Call Hans Peter Mueler at 810-593-6000. Remember he is in the US

post-11716-099756800 1285250013_thumb.jpg

post-11716-069556100 1285250021_thumb.jpg

post-11716-072034100 1285250027_thumb.jpg

Attached are three images. One shows the Webasto mounted (on a left hand drive) Onother shows the relays mounted. Another shows how the pipes are spliced. I know the pics are not the best. I would recommend that you have somebody familiar with Relays and a test light before you start cutting wires to your blower on your heat.

Regarding the fuel: The fuel line is idiot proof (just make sure when you hook up the hose you prime the line. It is easier to take a jar of fuel and set it near the webasto and suck it back down to the pump. After you siphon the line and wash your mouth out quickly hook it into the pump. You dont want air in the line as it can screw with the pump. The pump should have come pre-primed (dont take the plastic parts off of it until your are ready for the final fitment.

Before testing the webasto run your heater and make sure you dont have any leaks in the water line. You can email this guy with your color questions (he is in the US but speaks German) Call Hans Peter Mueler at 810-593-6000. Remember he is in the US

Thanks a million, those pictures tell me just about everything I need to know. One final thing though; on the TD5 specific instructions I have (written in German) there is a "no return valve" fitted on the line to the vehicle's expansion tank. I can't see it on yours, so is it unneccessary? It seems pointless to me, but the word "ACHTUNG!" above it makes me wonder.

I dont have a any line hooked into the expansion tank.

On an other note. Get some muffler wrap (thats what they call it in the US) to insulate the exhaust pipe. That ****er gets hot....

It doesn't attach to the heater in any way, according to the instructions, is just fitted to the thin tube between the expansion tank and the radiator.

One final question; how did you tap into the fuel tank. I've seen that you need to clip the end off the "nipple" on the fuel pump, but I'm not sure if I need to buy one of the webasto/eberspacher fuel pickups or if I can just slide some 5mm stiff fuel line into it and fix it to the nipple with rubber hose and jubilee clips.

I had a webasto fuel pick up. It was a generic line. Just cut it a little short so you dont pick up fuel from the bottom of the tank. Some people put an inline fuel filter also... Just cut the nipple, shove the pipe down. You should be able to do all of this without disconnecting the other fuel lines.

I've got a full loom for my heater now except all the wires in it are grey. I've worked out where everthing needs to go except for two wires from the relay that connect to the vehicle's blowers. I just need to know which wires on the truck I need to splice them into.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been reading this post for a while. I have now brought a Webasto thermo Top c for my 2006 Defender 110.

I have two questions about fitting it. I have air con and where the heater would normally be fitted there is a great thick pipe for the air con system. Is this in the way ?

Second could someone send me the Defender Specific instructions that people here write about.

Thanks

Simon.

I have the TD5 Defender specific Webasto Thermotop-C installation manual. PM me your email address if you want it.

Hi TSD,

If possible could you also send me a copy of your webasto installation manual for your Defender.

Many Thanks.

Hi All - I have been fitting Webasto Thermo Top C into boats for years and the following is advised:-

A pre pump filter is a must for the TTC and one can be mounted at any point on the system as the fuel pump is capable of sucking without any problems, the best is the aluminium bowel unit which can be purchased from any oil plumbing supplier or Toolstation on the web.

The exhaust system has to be lagged and the longest run must not exceed 1m in length - the silencer can be fitted but it will function without and the noise level is minimal without.

Bleed the fuel pump line on the suction prior to operating as this will stop the need for the glow pin having to work overtime as the initial operation sets the TTC into use as soon as the start switch is in the on position. If the fuel takes a long time to reach the burner then the TTC has to re started many times until it will fire up into full operation.

The fuel pick-up can be by a seperate fitted spill pipe or even taken from the suction side of the main fuel pump; however, consider a non return valve in the line to stop any fuel draw back whilst driving.

Webasto's normally need a burner clean at least yearly so I would suggest you need to site the unit for ease of removal and please consider fitting service valves on the water piping close to the TTC, this will again allow ease of removal without having air lock issues. Remember to bleed the water system to the pump by slacking off the top water pipe 'J' clip as one fills the system, otherwise the pump will air lock in the burner heat exchanger and shutdown of the unit will happen until water is bleed through the exchanger.

Any other questions - Please ask

Cheers

Bargeman

• 4 weeks later...
I have the TD5 Defender specific Webasto Thermotop-C installation manual. PM me your email address if you want it.

Hello everyone, I'm Fabrizio, I write to you from Italy; I apologize for my poor English, but I hope that you can undertand me, and that you want help me. I've never written on forum, but I've read many 3d; because reading is more easy than writing :)

If you can send to me the manual, my e-mail is guiduccif@alice.it

I'm grateful

Thanks

Def89

• 2 months later...