Gearbox and transfer box oil change

Boro

The disco's mot ran out a few months back and as i have access to another vehicle i figured before i re mot the disco i would do all the jobs i was putting off, one of which was to change the drive flange seals on the boxes and then replace the oil, what oil do people recommend for the r380 manual gearbox and transfer box?, how much oil is needed for each box? i assume the boxes have remote breathers (yet to look), how easy are these to remove to blow through to make sure they are clear

R380 gearbox oil: MTF94; Capacity 2.7 l from dry on Discovery 1 no gearbox oil cooler (practically 2.4-2.5 when changing)

LT230 transfer box oil: EP 90, EP 80w90, EPX 80W90; Capacity 2.3 from dry (practically 2-2.1 when changing)

It's relatively easy to reach and remove the breathers on both boxes. You won't be able to just stick them in you mouth and blow cause they're not long enough.

So you'll need an extra hose and it's a bit fiddly to fit it flush with one side of the banjo and block the other side. Might be easier on the transfer box one but a bit harder on the gearbox one (it depends if it's tied with the wire loom and if the wire loom are still secured to the gearbox etc)

Another option is to blow from the other end of the breather but that's even more complicated if the breathers are not extended.

There's an easier way to check the breathers:

1. on the gearbox:

- clean the surrounding area and undo the filling plug

- find an extension hose that's either a larger interior diameter than the filling hole so you can flush fit it or the outer diameter is a tad bigger then the filling plug so it can be screwed/tight fitted in the hole.

- blow in the extension hose (don't use compressed air!)

- if breather is not blocked you won't be able to build up pressure inside the box and you'll hear the hissing sound coming from the other end of the breather (in a relatively quiet environment)

2. on the transfer box

- it can be done as above albeit a tad harder and you'll need a bigger diameter hose so I find the method a bit unpractical (but possible)

- you can take advantage of the fact that you're changing the oil

- start undoing the filling plug to make sure it can be undone and tight it back in

- remove the draining plug to let the oil out

- if the breather is not blocked, you'll hear a hissing sound from the air coming in the box replacing the oil (the only way the air can come in is through the breather) and the oil will flow out nice and continuous (without interrupting to let the air coming in like when you drain a water bottle).

- you can also apply the gearbox method on the draining plug after your drain the oil (with the filling plug tighten in place) to double check and make sure.

MTF94 is the oil recommended by LR.

STC91578.JPG

You can do a search on here for more info, this was discussed to the death, too many topics to choose from: http://www.google.com/search?num=100&q=mtf94+site%3Alr4x4.com

Other people recommend Difflock gearbox oil, see their website, which I don't endorse.

The other oils for the Transfer box are Castrol, also LR recommendation.