Photo

Fitting a Discovery rear axle to a 1988 90?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Unsworth

Unsworth

• Settled In
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:32 PM

Hi all..

I have my name on a Discovery rear axle (Wish to replace with mine as I want discs all round) It comes with new pads and is even painted ready to fit with all the lines for 50 (BARGAIN)..

How easily is it to replace the axle with the one on my 90?.. I have had the rear springs and shocks off and one of the trailing arms so I know everything should un-bolt easily!.. My main concern are the brakes? (Apparently it is a case of turning the "T-piece" around on the disco axle to mate up with the existing pipe work?).. Also my other worry is the A-frame joint?

I have use of axle stands, Trolley jacks, Hi-lift etc.

Also is there anything I should do before I fit the axle?. Such as replacing seals or perhaps brake lines?.. I am going to fit a brand new A-frame joint whilst I am at it.

Any advice appreciated!.

Many thanks.. Matt
1973 S3 88 - Being rebuilt on a new chassis (Full restoration job)
1969 2a 88 - My Red pickup series, Rebuilt and my first road worthy land rover
1982 S3 109 - Nackered and getting used as a donor for spares
1988 D90 CSW - Daily drive, Converted to 200Tdi, Re-sprayed Yellow and much more!

#2 Mark

Mark

Diesel Head

• Supporters
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:42 PM

What age is the discovery?

The only issues that come to mind are that the 300 series discos have 3 bolt flanges on the diff rather than the 4 that you will need. Other than that it should bolt straight on.

I couldn't comment on the brakes other than that if the Disco had ABS there will be 2 separate lines rather than a t-piece...

hth
Mark
[:o|===|O:] 2001 110 TD5 Doublecab
[O]====[O] '91 200 Tdi Disco (RIP) & '96 300 Tdi Disco

Help keep this forum independent - click here.

#3 88 inch of pure pleasure

88 inch of pure pleasure

• Settled In
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:52 PM

as mark said realy,its not a hard job in all fairness but be awair if your changing the a frame ball joint they can be a pig if the bolts are rusted in as i recently found outPosted Image Posted Image

#4 disco tony

disco tony

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:07 PM

If the diff flanges are different, conversion flanges are available on the bay of ee's or elsewhere. Do a forum search.

#5 Unsworth

Unsworth

• Settled In
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:21 PM

If the diff flanges are different, conversion flanges are available on the bay of ee's or elsewhere. Do a forum search.

I doubt it will be different.. The lad selling it promises it will fit straight on or I can have my money back.. He bought it to go on his mates but his mates lost interest in land rovers.

But I prefer to get some second opinions.

Can you describe what you mean by Diff flange?. Im guessing you mean the part which the prop shaft is bolted to using 4 x 9/16th bolts?.

Thanks..
1973 S3 88 - Being rebuilt on a new chassis (Full restoration job)
1969 2a 88 - My Red pickup series, Rebuilt and my first road worthy land rover
1982 S3 109 - Nackered and getting used as a donor for spares
1988 D90 CSW - Daily drive, Converted to 200Tdi, Re-sprayed Yellow and much more!

#6 Retroanaconda

Retroanaconda

Old Hand

• Long Term Supporters
  • 5,357 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:27 PM

Correct. On Defenders and earlier Discoverys it was four bolts, on the later Discoverys it was a three-bolt flange, different design.

They can be swapped over anyhow, you can take the one of your current 90 rear axle.

#7 task

task

Old Hand

• Supporters
  • 732 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:33 AM

My 1998 Disco V8 has a 4 bolt flange on the rear axle. I'm guessing this was changed at some point previous to my ownership, which is a little strange as, other than an LPG conversion, it was 100% original before I got my hands on it.

Range Rover Vogue SE 1993
Range Rover In Vogue 2 Door - awaiting restoration.
Range Rover CSK No.120 - 4.6, stage 3 heads, upgraded cam.

#8 Aragorn

Aragorn

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:12 AM

task: Does your V8 have the rotoflex coupling?

edit: seems that the late V8's (Microcat says Chassis VA541628 on) didnt have this coupling, and just used the same prop as 200 series discos.

#9 muddy

muddy

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:21 AM

I'd forgret about the use of the hi lift if i were you.

Take the oppurtunity to examine the trailing arm mounts for corrosion around the welds and also check the diff pan. Depending on how much of a rebuild you want to do i would either completley strip down, repaint, new seals and bearings, new pistons etc etc or just whack it on. Paddocks do a 'rear bolt kit' for about 20 its worth buying. May aswell fit new brake lines while your at it and a new rear flexi that way you know its good. While you have the axle on the bench take the oppurtunity to use a hex/flank drive socket to undo the bleed nipples, bleed bolts and brake pipe unions on the calipers BEFORE you have to do it laid on your back/eating wheelarch with DOT4 running down your sleeve and skinning your knuckles on the springs.
MMMMMMM Heavy duty........

#10 Reiny

Reiny

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:32 PM

I agree with Muddy. I bought a lovely pair of 50th anniversary axles a few months ago. They had only covered 30,000 miles and had been lying on a shelf since 2002. I stripped them down and replaced all seals and gaskets, regreased all bearings (they only had the thinnest of thin smears of grease) and rebuilt the calipers before fitting them. I would rather do these jobs on the bench than when the axle is fitted.

#11 lrfarmer

lrfarmer

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:22 PM

when i fitted my disco axle i put new brake lines and yes i think i had to turn the T round
i fitted new discs and pads
mine was a bit rusty so i did have to sort it and paint it.
Tim.
1986 110 disco 200tdi. 1989 90 disco 200TDI engine.
Member of Cornwall and Devon Land Rover club

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users