Waterproof switches

pugwash

I am thinking of getting some ip68 switches printed with custom symbols.

These switches are exactly the same switches that ARB supply with their winches- same manufacturer and same type.

Anyone can buy these switches in standard form, but to get them custom printed with unique symbols is quite expensive without a reasonable print run.

So, would anybody be interested in buying some of these switches- details are:

1. Siwtches are modular- base unit (which does the switching) and the Actuator (the bit your flick with your finger) are totally interchangeable- so you can buy exactly the switch you need.

2. These are SVA compliant

3. These are ip68 rated- totally immersible and completely shock and dust proof- these are of a marine grade.

4. Have a look at ARB switches from devon 4x4 for the design of the switches. only difference will be that the lit sectinos will not be in blue. Top large box will be in LED Green to match land rover dash colours, and small bar at bottom will be in LED red, and will light when the switch is on.

5. They are of a very very high quality

I have found all the bits to make fitting really really easy, quick and very professional looking.

Price would be very very reasonable, expecially compared to the ARB jobbies but is dependant.

i only want to be able to order enough switches in order to get some for my next project. Don't need thousands but the more the merrier. Obivously i'm not looking at making any money off this.

Could people post if they have any interest in these whatsoever?

thanks

Jim

I could be interested - you don't mention what symbols you are planning to get done? winch in, winch out sort of thing, or were you thinking ejector seat and machine gun actuator switchs?

Mark

Depending on what the price was, i'd be interested in 6 (2x compressor on/off, 2x front and 2x rear)

Hi Guys,

yeah these are the carling switches- link to info is ip68 rocker switches. Looking at either Contura 2 with soft-touch buttons.

The good thing about these is that they are modular- so i will need to get loads of actuators printed, but the actual switch part (which is more expensive can be bought anywhere!)

Switches i had thought about so far:

Front locker

Rear Locker

Centre Locker

Air compressor

Engine Fan

Hazard switch

Lights

roof lights

Work area lights

front fog

rear fog

Front wash/wipe

rear wash/wipe

Front heated screen

rear heated screen

Interior lights

Heater blower

Engine Start

Emergency Start (for starting an autobox in gear!)

Winch Front (which could be used either as an isolator, or as a control so you can fick either way for in/out)

Winch Rear (as above)

I need to get about 20 of each done to make this cost effective- i already have 3 sets to supply, so i am a little bit there.

As to costs- at the moment the costs are:

1.80 for each actuator

2.20 for the switch base

0.24 for a quick connector block- basically you wire this block in, then you just push the switch in to the mount- easy for pre-wiring and generally looking smart

0.50 for mounting base with sealing unit- allows easy install into the dash- you cut a hole for these mounting blocks (which again are all very neat) and then push the switch into the mounting block when you are ready.

Crimped spade connections are also dirt cheap from vehicle wiring products.

These prices are plus VAT, but still 4.70 for these is cheap compared to £15.61 which is the market price for exactly the same ARB supplied switch!

I've already got a bunch of Carling switches with Blue Peter stylee Dymo labels which look chad. I'd be up for getting some pukka actuators.

How about getting some heated seat ones too?

Don't ARB do good enough front / rear locker switches? Or do you want green ones?

I've already got a bunch of Carling switches with Blue Peter stylee Dymo labels which look chad. I'd be up for getting some pukka actuators.

How about getting some heated seat ones too?

Don't ARB do good enough front / rear locker switches? Or do you want green ones?

Will ask if they have heated seat ones

ARB ones are fine (being the same switch but different colour), but i just fancied a colour coded set that looked really professional!

I was just looking at these switches myself.

If you look at their PDF, on the last page you can see the standard switch labels they do:

http://www.carlingtech.com/pdf/CarlingSW_V4_5.pdf

(No heated seats - I can't imagine why not! :P )...

These are great switches, I'm after a complete set, but not sure I'm ready to pin down exactly what I need yet...

Al.

These CarlingSwitch Contura Series Switches, are available in the Britax/Valeo and Hella ranges, as well as from RS Components.

Here are some links to documents, including lots of different legends -

CarlingSwitch

CarlingSwitch Homepage

Carling Switch Contura Range & Accessories

CarlingSwitch Contura Legends

Britax/Valeo

Britax Rocker Switch - Homepage

Britax Rocker Switches - Product Guide

Britax 511 Rocker Inserts

Britax 533 Rocker Inserts

Hella

Wipptasten-Schalter Programm

Schalter_D_s.jpg

RS Components

RS Homepage

Then click on -

Electrical, Automation & Cables

> Relays, Switches & Indicators

> Switches

> Rocker Switches

> Sealed & Splashproof

> Coloured Rocker Switches

They have a selection of Carlingswitch Contura Switches and Accessories, as well as .pdf info sheets.

Paul.

These CarlingSwitch Contura Series Switches, are available in the Britax/Valeo and Hella ranges, as well as from RS Components.

They have a selection of Carlingswitch Contura Switches and Accessories, as well as .pdf info sheets.

Paul.

Thanks paul,

the problem with these switches has never been supply- you can get them loads of places.

the problem has always been getting the right symbols printed in a style i want.

Do you happen to know someone that can print switches as at the moment i am having to go to the manufacturer direct.

thanks

Jim

Pugwash, can you add to the list a "Front Freespool" and a "Rear Freespool" cover for those of us with air opperated freespools? Oh and an LPG or Propane cover would be nice too :D

I'll deffinatly be after a few covers if you get them done.

Thanks paul,

the problem with these switches has never been supply- you can get them loads of places.

the problem has always been getting the right symbols printed in a style i want.

Do you happen to know someone that can print switches as at the moment i am having to go to the manufacturer direct.

thanks

Jim

Jim,

No, I'm afraid that I don't know of anyone, other than the manufacturers, who print the symbols for switches.

In my experience, the manufacturers list a huge variety of different symbols/legends, but when you try and buy them they tell you that (apart from the usual suspects - Aux Lamps, etc...) they are to special order and minimum order quantities apply.

Paul.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

still working on this- looking at it with SimonR to bring a commercial product to market. It's the printing that's really got me at the moment- does anyone know somebody that can custom print small switches- either etched or permanantly stuck to clear plastic.

i'm having trouble tracking one down that isn't horrifically expensive!

just out of interest are the centres removeable as in the square lens? could u not get these lazer cut? if u had a large sheet and got the dimentions then the laser cutter could cut the square to exact shape and then engrave each component. 200 on a sheet do, a variety of colours and hey presto. only an idea not really seen the switches up close. if this were possible im sure a uni could do it on a small scale for some form of donation. only an idea havent really seen the switches up close just know im after a set :)

loked at that but the centres are Very hard to remove from the switches, and i would also like to get some wording printed on the switches.

This means that getting the actuator printed form one source will be most profitable!