td5 defender bonnet wheel carriers.

Td5 bonnets are rather flimsy construction compared to the earlier type, and probably not up to the job of carrying a wheel.

One option would be to find an early bonnet with a wheel carrier already fitted, or add a suitable one if necessary.

does anyone know where i can get a spare wheel carrier to go on the bonnet of my defender td5 110. ?

any help would be great

cheers

A replacement pre-TD5 bonnet is the cheapest option.

There are aftermarket mounts available, but they're expensive -

http://www.difflock....eel_mount.shtml

td5mount1.jpg

http://nakatanenga-t...eradhalter.html

405323686497.jpg

What type of wheel do you have? Alloy or standard? I have fitted a new style rear wheel carrier to my 03 defender I wanted to take two wheels with me when going overland the bonnet has chequer plate on it, only other mod was standard spare wheel rubbers to stop the wheel bouncing around, have done many miles with this now and only problem I face is opening the bonnet, I have to jam my mini maglite into the bonet release catch to hold open the catch whilst I lift the bonnet as the spring will not push the weight up off the lock.

post-15513-12592796653_thumb.jpg

Before adding a spare wheel to the bonnet, make sure you know what you're letting yourself in for by trying one first to see how it feels trying to open the bonnet and locate the prop. Having to lift the weight of the spare with one hand while you fumble about trying to locate the prop securely isn't fun.

The prop on the TD5 bonnet probably isn't man enough to hold the bonnet up with the spare, you might need to upgrade the prop to a heavier duty version too. Bear in mind that if the prop fails or a gust of wind lifts the bonnet off the prop while you're under there the bonnet edge, with the weight of the spare behind it, will do you a serious injury - I'd go as far as to say it could well be fatal.

As others have said, the TD5 bonnet isn't really strong enough to take a spare wheel without some serious strengthening. A puma bonnet should do the job as it's a lot sturdier but visibility might be a problem with the wheel sat on the hump. Best bet would be a 300Tdi or earlier bonnet.

the best bonnets to go for are the very early series style wheel mount defender bonnets with the galv steel "dustbin lid", these hold the wheel closer to the bonnet than the later style. They need some mods to accept Wolf wheels though do to their increased offset.

I have this setup on mine but I'm still doing away with it as a wheel on the bonnet has to many negatives.

Frontrunner do a bonnet mout for a TD5. They should be available in the UK.

I use a MOD bonnet mout taken from an MOD series three bonnet on my 300Tdi. The whole lot should be reasoable priced from an MOD breaker.

I use Discovery steel wheels. The wheel is mounted so that the nave of the wheel is next to the bonnet. The well of the wheel is used for carrying things.

..... trying to open the bonnet and locate the prop. Having to lift the weight of the spare with one hand while you fumble about trying to locate the prop securely isn't fun.

Dont TD5s have a prop like the older defender/110 that is attached at both ends - to the bonnet and upper rad mount - that you just pull back to lock? Would seem a bacwards step if land rover didnt fit these to later models...

Dont TD5s have a prop like the older defender/110 that is attached at both ends - to the bonnet and upper rad mount - that you just pull back to lock? Would seem a bacwards step if land rover didnt fit these to later models...

No, they changed to a more "car like" prop that lays across the top of the slam panel. Not sure when the change was made but I assume it coincided with the TD5 as the civilian 300TDi had the sliding,folding,scissor thing.

No, they changed to a more "car like" prop that lays across the top of the slam panel. Not sure when the change was made but I assume it coincided with the TD5 as the civilian 300TDi had the sliding,folding,scissor thing.

What a silly change! I thought the old mechanism is very good. I suppose part of the justification may be that they never produced a wheel carrier for that bonnet, therfore could get away with a weaker simpler prop. Another reason to get an older bonnet (or at least the prop mechanism from one) if the bonnet is to be used for the purpose of carrying a spare wheel.

The scissor style bonnet prop is fine until you start to up th size of the wheel, I had one collapse on me as the extra wieght of the wheel bent the scissor style prop. Not fun.

The military obviously realised this, as all but the earliest military defender has a car style prop that clips to the bonnet when not in use.

The Td5 style bonnet stay (that lays across the slam panel when not in use)is fine and easily copes with a spare wheel, Its what is fitted to my Wolf from new by Land rover, and that has all the parts for the mount.... and has coped many times with no issue.

If you put an earlier style bonnet with spare wheel holder onto a Td5, you will have to remove the plastic engine cover to get it to fit.

If you run a spare wheel on a 300 tdi, just keep an eye on the bonnet, becasue if it starts to bend (usually caused by people standing on it) then it is possible for the bonnet to come into contact with the injector pipes and rub through. The Wolf manual states the wheel should only be mounted on the bonnet for short periods only for this exact reason...... I guess its easier than telling squaddies to keep off the bonnet.

History lesson

The one piece bonnet prop is actually a Wol;f fitting.

I had the scisor prop amd chanded it to the Wolf version. It is a much better prop IMO.

The other thing I did was to fit MOD bonnet catches. This does stop the bonnet wobbling and flexing with the spare on there.

Also as I have the MOD strap. I used that initalyy with the bolted spare wheel clamp, the strap also stopped the spare bouncing. Then I changed to the full MOD set-up.

I have had no difficulty lifting the bonnet with a Discovery steel wheel and a 235/ 85 tyre fitted.