home made portals and lockers

Daan

is that a lada niva?

something will brake soon as the portal boxes will want to twist the axles....on an axle that was never intended for that.

on the other hand im very impressed, putting the other gears in the box so he doesnt have to flip diffs or anything. seems like a sound way of doing it......just not like that? im verry impressed and horrified at the same time!

has any one ever tryed this with a landy axle

Yes, Land Rover tried it and it was pants. Maxi Drive did too and that was also pants.

And yes, it's a Lada Niva. This sort of thing is quite common in Russia - home-made portals, winches, PTO's...

Yes, Land Rover tried it and it was pants. Maxi Drive did too and that was also pants.

Were they long or short pants Fridge? When you say LandRover tried it are you referring to the Agrover ? I don't think that was designed or built by LandRover, and anyone with even basic engineering knowledge would have known that was going to be a failure before it was built. Maxidrives however were quite well designed, and in theory the 4 gear design should be at least as strong if not stronger than traditional 2 gear jobs ala Volvo, Mog etc.The later ones with the additional lower kingpin I believe addressed the strength issue of the tiny LandRover swivel balls.The only real criticism aside from price I could make is that the input shaft was only 10 spline and the output shafts were only 24 spline. 24 spline uppers and say larger stub axles ala 101 FC and 1 1/2'' lower shafts would have been a useful option to have available.

Bill.

Bill - they were LR pants so one leg was longer than the other :P and I feel like a right prat for forgetting your homebrew setup which demonstrates perfectly what can be done.

I was referring to the Agrover, yes, as I know a guy with one who paid to have the portals taken off and normal axles put back on as he couldn't keep oil in them long enough.

I'm sure the MD's were better engineered but for a fraction of the price of a set you could pick up a set of Mogs or Volvos which are stronger again. I don't remember what the MD's were rated for but I recall it being rather disappointing compared to stock Volvos or mogs.

Bill - they were LR pants so one leg was longer than the other :P and I feel like a right prat for forgetting your homebrew setup which demonstrates perfectly what can be done.

I was referring to the Agrover, yes, as I know a guy with one who paid to have the portals taken off and normal axles put back on as he couldn't keep oil in them long enough.

I'm sure the MD's were better engineered but for a fraction of the price of a set you could pick up a set of Mogs or Volvos which are stronger again. I don't remember what the MD's were rated for but I recall it being rather disappointing compared to stock Volvos or mogs.

Funny, I had 4 years of trouble free leak free service from my portals, but in the last few years I can't stop the wheel hubs from leaking.It's only a small amount of oil but it looks unsightly.I've taken to wedging bits of sponge rubber from an old mattress between the portal boxes and brake backing plates to soak it up, and change them every few weeks. New double lip seals and speedi sleeves haven't been successful.I'm thinking of changing my religeon by sealing the wheel hubs off from the portals and using grease in the wheel bearings.

A company in the US is now producing 4 gear portals to suit Dana 60 axles, but can be adapted to other brands. With the strong AUS dollar against the ever weakening US dollar the asking price of $6800 per set of 4 would make them an attractive proposition if freight costs from the US and local taxes weren't such a killer.

Bill.

Bill, you can't expect LR to better the efforts of some bloke in a shed ;)

I'm sure you've checked but are your leaks anything to do with the box or bottom gear deflecting? I know on Volvos a leaking hub seal is often the sign of a loose wheel bearing.

$6800 plus shipping still seems a bit steep tbh, it like more effort to make a Rover axle accept portal ends than to make a proper portal axle fit a Rover.

Bill, you can't expect LR to better the efforts of some bloke in a shed ;)

I'm sure you've checked but are your leaks anything to do with the box or bottom gear deflecting? I know on Volvos a leaking hub seal is often the sign of a loose wheel bearing.

$6800 plus shipping still seems a bit steep tbh, it like more effort to make a Rover axle accept portal ends than to make a proper portal axle fit a Rover.

No Fridge, the leaks are not from the boxes or due to gear deflection.Unlike Volvos, Mogs etc I have full floating hubs and bottom halfshafts, so gear deflection which I'm not getting anyway would not contribute to hub seal leaks.If i can get the use of a lathe for a couple of days some time i'll modify the hubs to accept 2 separate seals instead of double opposing lip ones.

$6800US isn't much more in Aus$, For brand new extra HD portal boxes isn't bad when compared to the 15 to $17,000 I heard mentioned for Maxidrive or Marks Adaptors Nissan Patrol portals.There's a chap over here considering buying a set of Volvos ex Uk for $4600 plus shipping, plus rims, plus disc conversion,plus overhall, plus fitting.The availability of Volvo axles and spares is virtually Zero over this end. Malaysia has been cleaned out too. Mogs are heavy, awkward and more difficult to fit, and there is a question regarding strength of the helically geared 404 boxes.

Of course personally all these prices are academic.I can't afford any of the options,never could. That is why I made my own from cheap or even free, readily available Landrover bits.

Bill.