Defender dash on Series III bulkhead

msggunny

They're not horrendously different from what I can tell on my two, compared to a Series 2 dash for example, but I imagine it won't be a straight swap. The bottom section does look to be a different (albeit similar) shape, so I assume the mounts differ likewise.

That said, with some relevant bracketry and modifications here and there I'm sure it can be done :)

I fitted a series 3 to a TD5 bulkhead without modification and my mate has a defender dash in a series 3 also.

Brian

You can fit the SII dash to a defender easily, but not the other way around. The Defender bulkhead is flat, while the SIII bulkhead has a large bulge into the cab. I have no idea what the bulge is for - the throttle linkage sits forward of it and the ballast resistor on diesel models' could easily be relocated.

By removing that bulge and covering the resulting hole with flat plate, you can fit the Defender dash. ALternatively, you could try fitting the curved section of the back of a SIII dash to a Defender dash, but it'd be a lot of fiddly work and getting a decent finish on the cosmetic plastic covering would eb nigh on impossible. I went with the former method.

Just curious if this is possible with out a lot of modification. I have looked at the difference between the SIII and Defender bulkheads and to me it doesnt look like it would work, at least not the bottom part.

Thanks!

i have fitted a series three dash to a TD5 bulkhead thats in my series three. the holes etc are in the right place. The only thing i had remove was the wiper motor mount on the bulkhead but that i doubt would be a problem on yours.

i have fitted a series three dash to a TD5 bulkhead thats in my series three. the holes etc are in the right place. The only thing i had remove was the wiper motor mount on the bulkhead but that i doubt would be a problem on yours.

He's doing it the other way around and it is a big problem, as I explained in the previous post.