ATF or MTF 94

MTF 94 for R380 and ATF for LT77, although many reccomend MTF 94 for the LT77 as well from what i can make out.

I have tried both MTF94 and ATF in my LT77 and found no difference between the two in that box, so stuck with ATF as it is cheaper.

well i'm going to top up with ATF for the time being as i haven't got the 45 euros to buy any MTF at the moment. Gearchanging is ok a little grating moving up into third,but then again this is my first landrover in fact it's the first landrover i've ever driven so i can't really compare.If MTF is essentially 10w40 why can't I just put that in ,is there anyone doing that ?

' Testing requirement RES.57.02.593 - "Gearbox oil test"

"Texaco MTF94 is developed for higher torque & power applications, enhanced protection of gears & bearings, and significant performance improvements at extreme temperatures.

SAFETY

Minimise contact with used oil. Wash skin thoroughly after contact. Please dispose of your used oil safely.

:) Les.

http://members.shaw.ca/jbarge/MTF.htm

http://www.kewengineering.co.uk/Auto_oils/ROVER%20MTF.pdf

ROVER MTF 94 is recommended for use in manual transmissions of all Landrover

vehicles.

Pour Point, Deg C ISO 3016 -45

Visc, Kinematic, 40Deg C, mm2/s ISO 3104 53

Visc, Kinematic, 100Deg C, mm2/s ISO 3104 10.5

Visc, Brookfield, -20Deg C, mPa.s ASTM D2983 2100

Visc, Brookfield, -30Deg C, mPa.s ASTM D2983 9000

Visc, Brookfield, -40Deg C, mPa.s ASTM D2983 60000

Viscosity Index ISO 2909 191

John correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not recommended for series transmissions, right? Todd.

Hi Todd. Series? What is that? :lol:

I was just quoting what it said.... Yes, all vehicles built while dinasoars roamed the earth use regular gear oil in their gearboxes. :P

Back to the question of the day.... Whether or not a good MTF will make your LT77 last longer or not? Who knows. It certainly won't be worse and the probability is that it will help. Lube cost is nothing compared to the cost of a new gearbox.

One thing to keep in mind is that not all LT77 boxes are created equal. The layshaft bearings on the early boxes were specified by some engineer with a bad sense of humour.

• 3 years later...

So in Peru, surprisingly you can't get MTF94....so resurrecting a really old thread....the last lot I got in Namibia is spent by about 3000miles.

Should I use Dextron 3 or 2 or is there some other VERY common gearbox oil i could try. I have Dextron 2 in my spares box and theres a million lube places just round the corner. If they have Dextron 3 is that prefered. I could go for Honda MTF94 as they might have that also.

So 2 or 3 or Honda.....or something else.

Thanks as always.

Neill