Wiper switch.

I had reason to dismantle the wiper switch yesterday and (because I was being spoken to about something completely unrelated whilst I was doing it) I wasn't paying attention to the position of the 'V' shaped spring which popped out unseen.

It would be very much appreciated if someone could tell me which way round it goes and what recesses each end of the spring should go in (presumably between one of the contact posts).

In addition, on the subject of wipers, is there any scope for adjustment on the limit switch on the wiper motor?

I ask this because I have just fitted a Hella intermittent wiper switch but I'm only getting a half sweep in that they go from the park position to their maximum travel to the side of the screen but don't return again. Incidentally the Hella switch is a universal fit and the instructions are of no help.

Thanks in advance.

Jon.

Ah yes I had this same problem when I stripped mine. I go there in the end by trial and error, but infortunately can't remember how it went in. IIRC I think the ends of the V spring have to be crossed over, but not 100% sure on that as it was last year when I done it.

Not adjustable but may be due to partial faulty/dirty contacts/poor connection on the park wire (brown/green). I take it we are talking front wipers? If not ( ie its a rear wiper) then u should have bought one of my int wiper kits which comes with full instructions and wiring diagrams... :P

Well Mark, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.....

I tried crossing the spring and just about every other permutation I could think of....all to no avail. What should have been a simple 10minute job is turning into a right pain....Thanks anyway.

Yes Simon we're talking front wipers, but the rear wipers are next on the list. Got me thinking about the park wire though, thanks for that.

It'll be good when its sorted though, it gives an infinately adjustable interval between 2 and 30 wipes per minute.

Jon.

Spring is crossed over then the upper leg [of the coiled bit] IIRC :unsure: between the 1st/2nd stud & lower leg between 3rd/4th stud, don't blame me if it don't work :P I was looking at a switch last Friday afternoon which had gone twang the same as yours, :wacko: bet you pay attention next time :lol:

you should end up with either ----- down for spring loaded return flick wipe or stay down for intermittent wipe [if fitted], 1st stepup for normal speed, 2nd stepup for high speed.

park switch can't be adjusted :rolleyes:

I did exactly the same thing when I took my wiper switch apart :lol:

The spring 'pinged-out' and I then spent the next hour, or so, trying every way of re-fitting it until I arrived at the right one.

It was a few years ago when I did mine, but Ralph's description of re-assembly sounds right.

I also fitted the Hella adjustable intermittent wiper control. I found the instructions easy enough to follow, once I'd determined how my wipers were wired - hence dismantling the wiper switch.

Paul.

OK, for a early type wiper switch with the flash wipe and no intermitent the spring is crossed over itself and the two legs sit either side of the live pin, 3rd one down and has a green wire.....

wiperswitch.jpg

When the switch is moved down for flash wipe the spring should be pushed over to the single speed wipe pin, 2nd one down red/green wire, making it live. Which is different to the the normal single and double speed positions where the brass bit in the end of the switch arm connects either the single speed pin or the double speed pin (4th one down blue/green wire) to the live pin directly.

Hope that makes sense :blink:

• Like 1

By 'eck.

I've been working away for the last 3 days and having just seen all the replies...well I'm staggered at the response. Thank you all very much.

Mark the picture is perfect.

Since this seems a common problem (due to a basic ineptness), perhaps it would be a wise move to put this in the Technical archive.....to provide assistance to the next poor sod who wasn't paying attention just when he (and it could only be a 'he'....apparently) should have been.

It will probably amuse you all to know that whilst I was away, having not managed to fix the wipers, relying on the single wipe of the intermittent set up and because I put my trust in the BBC weather forcast saying it was going to remain dry and therefore I wasn't too worried about it......well.....it rained...like tomorrow was going out of fashion....and then the hail started. And there I was, driving back to to hotel....half a wipe every two seconds.....how I laughed.

Jon.

So Jon, does it work as it should, or have you completely stuffed it.

Ralph....all fixed, working as it should do, even the intermittent wiper is working properly and already proved its worth.

Thanks to the photo it took just ten minutes to fix......until I realised that I hadn't fitted one of the screws that hold the switch in place...which meant I had to dismantle the steering column shroud...AGAIN...

Anyway, job done at last.

• 11 years later...

I had this exact same issue, unfortunately the photo in the previous post seems to have timed out, but I got there in the end.  Now I attach a new photo in case some other numpty like me finds themselves in that same situation, have fun!89AA2FFC-655F-41ED-911D-4FCB698DB783.thumb.jpeg.05d3e3fb16c296e4e01a725ffbb47bd8.jpeg

• Like 2