Are BRITPART official Landrover suppliers?

Se7enUp

So, I placed an order with Paddocks and one of the items I needed was a drive member or flange.

Paddocks list 3 types, OEM, Pattern and an upgraded type (ala Ashcroft type)

I ordered OEM.

When my package arrived it I opened it to find a nice blue Britpart box.

I called Paddocks and was told by a very helpful chap that as the part number on the box (RUC105200G) ended in a G, that it was an OEM part. Apparently the pattern part doesn't have the G.

I asked if Britpart now supply Landrover with parts and was told "yes, for some items".

This doesn't ring true as in my experience Britpart are the lowest of the low and I try to avoid at all costs using any parts that come in the "famous" blue box.

Britpart - OEM supplier for Land Rover ???

Am I mistaken or are Paddock telling me porkies?

Did the Britpart box say OEM on the side?

Or did it just say 'corresponding to ######' etc.?

I've lost count of how many times I've said this now, but Britpart are a distributor for OEM parts sometimes. But the vast majority of their stuff is cheap pattern copies.

I wouldn't say they are an OEM supplier no. They do supply the MoD with spares though!

Oh well.

The parts in the box do look quite good quality and the box does say OEM on the label.

Looking on the bright side, if Britpart are supplying or distributing for Landrover,maybe (just maybe) this will be an incentive for them to improve the quality of their own kit.

Back in the olden days when I worked a parts department for an independant we stocked Allmakes as well as Britpart and Bearmach stuff. At the time Allmakes was the only supplier to use the "G" in the part number to specify a genuine part. Its a simple, but good idea. Basically stuff we bought from allmakes with a "G" suffix was always branded stuff, eg Lucas hydraulics, Delphi brake pads, Dayco belts, etc etc. Anything that didn't have a G was definately lower quality.

A few years ago I bought some lightguards for my freelander. They arrived in a Britpart box with no "G" suffix... I felt a definate shiver down my spine! However the box contained Genuine ie. Land Rover packaged componants. It was nice to get genuine stuff at Britpart prices I can tell ya!

Allmakes seem to leave their G-spec stuff in the manufacturers packaging, where as Britpart seem to repackage in their own blue boxes. So the fact that it arrives in a blue box doesn't necessarily mean it is usual Britpart quality... check before ranting at the supplier!

D ;)

check before ranting at the supplier!

I never ranted - I calmly called then up and asked them to explain why they'd sent me OEM parts in **itpart boxes.

Then I posted here as I didn't believe them :rolleyes:

:D:D:D

Oooops... sorry, that wasn't meant as a dig in any way.

I know many people would quite happily rant at the supplier without checking first... my comment was mearly a cautionary tail from someone who has been on both sides of the counter :)

As I said, the fact that its in a blue box doesn't necessarily mean its not OE spec. ;)

If i remember right most landrover dealers can price you oe parts or britpart most sell both.

I have to say before i'm lynched!!! ;) in my personal opinion Some Britpart stuff is good i use a mixture of genuine, britpart and allmakes stuff on my road car and my safari racer, have only ever had a cpl of problems with Britpart and wouldn't hesitate in buying 90% of there stuff

If i remember right most landrover dealers can price you oe parts or britpart most sell both.

I have to say before i'm lynched!!! ;) in my personal opinion Some Britpart stuff is good i use a mixture of genuine, britpart and allmakes stuff on my road car and my safari racer, have only ever had a cpl of problems with Britpart and wouldn't hesitate in buying 90% of there stuff

My two penneth.......... I will use the part in question RUC105200G , Britpart does actually buy these from the OE manufacturer in Turkey.

The "G" is actually correct in this case , the non "G" version is made in India.

hope this helps.

My two penneth.......... I will use the part in question RUC105200G , Britpart does actually buy these from the OE manufacturer in Turkey.

The "G" is actually correct in this case , the non "G" version is made in India.

hope this helps.

now thats what i call an answer...

I rebuilt the front axle on a ltwt today and the customer had bought 100% Britpart items, and there was both good and bad in the various parts.

Gaskets were poor - holes not in the right place/very thin paper. Locking tabs for the stub axle and swivel pin/bolts/studs were not in the right place either, which was a right pain. Bearings were unbranded, so I don't know who made them. The top pin was fairly loose in the Railko bush, but there was no detectable play once the preload had been set. The chrome swivel ball, swivel seal, swivel seal retaining plate - were all good quality though (I have seen new ones with pitting within the sweep of the seal). I still wouldn't buy Britpart stuff - it's too much of a lottery as to whether or not you get a good quality component.

Les.

i too have had some gaskets with holes in the wrong place. I put it down to me buying the wrong part. About the only thing i've got that were britpart were some inert lumps of metal (swivels) and some gaskets. I would have thought neither could be poor but the gaskets proved me wrong. Their QA must be terrible. It can't be hard to make gaskets correctly, can it? (I'm still convinced i ordered wrong otherwise my confidence in all manufacturing is shattered)

• 2 weeks later...

I order by mail some seals to have them in stock. I was carefully specifying Genuine and I was quoted genuine ones. ^Parcel arrived with britpart stuff. The sales person replied : "These seals are now the genuine specification. We don't keep these seals in stock, I got these in for you."

:unsure:

For sure they are genuine britpart, but I guess all agree Genuine meant Land Rover

BritPart are a genuine part suppier to Land Rover I seem to recall reading somewhere. I think this is why so many people are now being supplied with the unexpected packaging.

Happy to be shot down in flames for Blasphemy