Nice little tip

Heres some thing an old guy showed me years ago, saves no end of time if you tapping out hard to get at holes, The nuts are just hammered on the taps.

tools006.jpg

Apologies for carp photo.

And you can even cheat and use the air impact gun (only recomended for cleaning damaged threads out though)

What's wrong with finding the right size open ended spanner to fit on the square of the shank? I used this technique today on a 1/4" UNF tap I had - used a 6BA spanner.

Nice Idea, but a bit 'animal'....

Mark

Because my way you can use 7 feet of extension bars and a ratchet or a dumpy ratchet spanner, depending on what the access is like of course.

I have found that it allows me to recover threads quickly and often "in situ" which helps.

Me a

bit 'animal'
never :D

This is a usefull technique and I've used it several times myself, but hammering a tap is never a good idea. Far better to use a vice and squeeze the nut on gently. I've got a couple of nuts with square holes filed in them for tapping awkward things....

Cheers,

Chaz

Good tip DirtyDiesel,

I use a few like this myself at work (although officially outlawed !! ;) ) but not with an airgun as getting the broken tap out is too much trouble :P I'll use the M6 with a makita battery gun for cross-threaded bosses but the others (8, 10, 12, and M14) I do with a rachet and socket.

You can also buy a ratchet tap spanner, which is like a ratchet spanner but with different sized square holes to suit tap shanks. It's very useful in tight spaces.

As Chaz says, putting the nut on in the vice is much better and don't forget to throw a rag over the tap in case it does shatter.

I hope this doesn't sound grandmother/sucking eggs ...

Mo

This is a usefull technique and I've used it several times myself, but hammering a tap is never a good idea. Far better to use a vice and squeeze the nut on gently. I've got a couple of nuts with square holes filed in them for tapping awkward things....

Cheers,

Chaz

You wouldn't catch me hammering my "good" taps,

But as these ones are goliath "chocolate" taps they aren't worth the walk to the vice :D

• 3 years later...

Or alternatively if your not shy about spending a few quid the snapon man does a lovely set of sockets in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drives respectively covering m5 to m20 taps. VERY nice but you have to have a great amount of will power to stop you using the rattle gun on them when your in a tiddle/hurry/sweat/tight space!!!!

Or alternatively if your not shy about spending a few quid the snapon man does a lovely set of sockets in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drives respectively covering m5 to m20 taps. VERY nice but you have to have a great amount of will power to stop you using the rattle gun on them when your in a tiddle/hurry/sweat/tight space!!!!

Snap On also do a nice set of thread chasers, with hex heads. Also far better to use to clean/reclaim existing threads than cutting taps.

• 4 weeks later...

I frequently use a socket on the end of taps at work for clean paint out of the holes on the winches, 9/10 its easier than using the tap wrench. Our hydraulics man has some Snap-on socket drive tap holders..apparently they were released in the states first, and he couldnt order a set! had to wait until they were released in the UK. Theres quite a few motor garages in Cov near his office, and the van calls in his place as well now...

These are excellent , I bought a set last year .