On board air compressors

Hi all,

just had a moment of clarity and was wondering whether anybody can elighten me further -

thinking about on board air and the likes of the ARB electrically operated compressors, I was wondering whether anybody had tried fitting a mechanically driven compressor in the engine bay - Would it be possible to have something similar to an air-con compressor with an electrically operated clutch to allow air on demand? How would you manage storage of compressed air supplied this way and would it even be possible to use an air-con compressor to provide air given that it usually compressors a liquid?

Thoughts?

Dave.

I've just bought a 110 with an on-board air system fitted, there's an air-con compressor on the engine, which fills a tank under the sill. There is what appears to be a pressure switch which activates the clutch in the compressor, presumably to keep the tank filled up to the correct pressure.

An outlet comes out by the driver's door.

This is a 200TDI (as per your sig)?

I have a 210 York on mine. A solid 5 cfm. It puts out as much as a decent shop compressor. Cheap and easy to install.

This first picture is on a 2.5NA, but it is the same exact mount for the 200TDI

York.jpg

Here is the simple bracket on the air compressor

Compressor_bracket.jpg

And the engine side on the 200TDI

Lower_bracket.jpg

I've got a modified Sanden AC compressor with v-belt clutch wheel, and all new-IP67 sealed pressure switch, braided stainless hose's, manifold, pressure relief valve, gauge, PCL fitings, inlet filter, oil lubricator, oil remover (for lubing AC compressor) basically everything needed for full onboard air setup, never fitted or used.

Going on Ebay-I'll stick a post up when its listed.

i have nearly finished my system on my 3.9 v8 using standard air con pump with lub. in and filter on way out have had it working very pleased .will post pictures soon .fitting megajolt now will show photos of once finished no more room left in engine bay :blink:

• 3 years later...

This is a 200TDI (as per your sig)?

I have a 210 York on mine. A solid 5 cfm. It puts out as much as a decent shop compressor. Cheap and easy to install.

This first picture is on a 2.5NA, but it is the same exact mount for the 200TDI

York.jpg

Here is the simple bracket on the air compressor

Compressor_bracket.jpg

And the engine side on the 200TDI

Lower_bracket.jpg

Hi

just wondering what the pump is as i cant find one if these on the internet? what do i search for?

thanks

I have a NA 90 out on the drive with a compressor driven via a belt on the engine. Oil gets pumped into the top of the compressor then drains back down into the engines sump. First time I have ever seen one.

Holy thread revival Batman!

I still have the sanden air-con compressor that I brought back in 2010 ready to start this project , it's sat in a box in the garage - Problem is I no longer have the project vehicle!