2002 TD5 ABS; TC; Brake Warning

So not used the Defender all week, got in it to move it today, and the three amigos (Traction Control; ABS; Brake warning) lights all on and wont extinguish. Normally the brake & TC lights go out after a few seconds, and ABS goes out when you start driving.

Brake fluid OK, lid OK, wires seem OK.

Nanoncom read the ABS ECU, had two faults:

• INT 02-1 10
  • INT 01-4 255

Cleared faults, no change (three amigos still present). tested all ABS components with Nanocom, all seems OK.

Relay clicks when tested.

Fues 11 and the big one under seat seem OK, relay connections all seem clean and no chafing noticable.

What next ?

So not used the Defender all week, got in it to move it today, and the three amigos (Traction Control; ABS; Brake warning) lights all on and wont extinguish. Normally the brake & TC lights go out after a few seconds, and ABS goes out when you start driving.

Brake fluid OK, lid OK, wires seem OK.

Nanoncom read the ABS ECU, had two faults:

• INT 02-1 10
  • INT 01-4 255

Cleared faults, no change (three amigos still present). tested all ABS components with Nanocom, all seems OK.

Relay clicks when tested.

Fues 11 and the big one under seat seem OK, relay connections all seem clean and no chafing noticable.

What next ?

Had this before on my TD5 Disco. Check the brake lights, my b/l fuse had blown and was giving all the warning lights as described. If you look very closely at the wiring diagram there is a link. I am assuming that the systems are probably the same.

Brake lights all OK,

So, If I clear the faults, then wait 10 mins or so, and restart, the 3 amigos are all gone. and ABS light behaves as it should.

Drove round for 40 mins or so, no problems, then stopped and restarted and... they are all back. this time with a new code:

CUR 01-3 255

I can clear the fault code stored, and the process repeats.

I have checked as far as possible all wires to wheels and nothing apparent.

I have no reason to think otherwise, its not been off roaded or had any changes in the wheel department.

Unfortunately I think Im going to have to get it booked into mainstealer, I work away weekedays, so only have a short time to look at any problems on the 110.

I see a huge huge bbill coming my way.

Nothing will happen this week (unless they can come and pick it up) but it would be nice to know what the ABS codes are before I look at the mainstealer option ?

Anyone know of garages with ECU/ABS experience in Kent ?

I had the 3 lights coming on in my p38 when i pressed the brakes. It turned out to be a dodgy brake accumulator. Swapped it and all has been fine since :) ( £80 )

G

Ive been reading a few other posts on Lro as well and the earth to ECU seems a favourite and low cost option.

Ive checked all wheel bearings, but they are OK.

Ill run new earth next week or if its light & dry when I get back after work each night, will have a shot.

• 3 months later...

So finally got some time off and plan to have a look at each sensor and clean check for fitting before I go on and look at other more sinister (and costly) approaches.

Earths seemed OK but cleaned and added new one anyway, no difference on the codes (ie they clear, then when I drive for a few miles and switch off, they reappear when startup)

I plan to:

1. Reset the fault codes
  2. jack up a corner
  3. remove wheel and take ABS sensor out
  4. clean and refit etc
  5. test drive
  6. see what happens if fault codes reappear (only took a few miles last time)
  7. go on to next wheel until I run out of wheels or the fault goes away...

Any advice gladly received.

Didnt manage to get much done today, had to go into work, but managed both front wheels and no change.

Interestingly enough, I moved the vehicle around my drive without using brakes and the fault did not return, but moved it 5 yards and used the footbrake, the fault was present next tim I started.

Going to do a short session tomorrow AM and will try to see if applying the footbrake alone (ie no movement) also creates the problems.

It would really help if the fault codes in the OP could be understood ? Does anyone know what they might be ?

The Nanocom manual lists the codes but the second (04.1) isn't mentioned but I think will be pump related

02,1: pwm signal failure from engine ecu

The one you mentioned later - 01.3: pump failure 2 (pump not running when actuated)

Wheel sensor problems will show up as specific faults identifying which corner and the fault type.

I think you could be looking at problems with the ABS modulator itself. What fault codes are you getting now?