FIA Kill switch Wiring in help

crispyme

Hi

Hoping that someone may have a better idea than I do when it comes to wiring.

Trying to install an FIA kill switch with the instructions that came with it. Which is as follows:

20045411162559398.gif

The truck that it's being installed into has been megasquirted by Mr Hybrid.

Thing is when I wired it up, it wouldn't kill the engine when the switch was turned.

I wired it up as the diagram described, the two things that I wasn't sure about was the wire to use from the ignition switch, and the Ignition Coil. I used the switch ignition live from the main relay for the mega squirt, and the coil pack/fuel pump/lambda wire from the fuel pump relay.

The only thing I can think of is that the main ignition wire should be cut, and the two remaining wires are to be connected to both terminals of number 2. This would make sense to me as it would cut the power from the ignition going to the main relay. Is this the case?

Any help would be appriciated. And I appologise for any obvious shoolboy error's I may have made.

Cheers

Eeyore

The Feeds TO the main relay and the coil/lambda/fuel pump should be connected in place of "Ignition coil" and the other pin should be connected to the ignition switch.

that way when the switch is turned, it shuts off the power going to the main relay and the other relay.

Aragorn

Cheers for that, so basiclly to run the ignition switch live through the kill switch from the ignition to the main relay - Is that right? Ie cut the wire and connect one half that to one connection and the other half to the other?

Cheers

Eeyore

Aragorn

Cheers for that, so basiclly to run the ignition switch live through the kill switch from the ignition to the main relay - Is that right? Ie cut the wire and connect one half that to one connection and the other half to the other?

Cheers

Eeyore

Should this little exercise go any more wrong Crispy Eeyore(most of my binnacle instruments having been fried :blink: ) i shall be cutting you in half and possibly not re-connecting you :ph34r::P:rtfm::lol:

Steve

Aragorn

Cheers

Eeyore

Thats right.

Looking at the diagram i suspect that when the switch is in "run" it connects the '2' contacts together and leaves '1' open. When you turn it to "kill" it disconnects the main battery feed, but also disconnects '2' and connects '1'

This does three things:

1. Disconnects the main battery feed from everything. At this point however the engine wont stop, as the alternator continues providing power, and will often become unregulated and could easily blow up electrics in the car.

2. Disconnects the ignition live feed (contacts 2 above) from the engine control circuits, this means the ECU etc shuts off and the engine should stop.

3. Connects the car side of the main live feed to earth thru contact 1 and a big resistor. This ensures that the alternator doesnt blow up or fry any of the electrics as the engine is spinning down, because at that point the alternator is still turning and hence generating possibly unregulated power, by basically shorting it to earth.

• 1 year later...