King Cab 90 - Any pics / Experience would help!

Looking to 'King cab' my 90 within the next week or so.

I have a standard truck cab & a full 90 van roof (with side windows) to butcher up & make right.

Cant use the van sides as side panels due to them both being fitted with full length windows!

Id like to have the rear of the cab with the round windowed corners and the back window (off the truck cab)

Does anyone also know some windows that will fit the sides? Im thinking of maybe extending it by 15" or more...

Any help appreciated!

Bob

I did mine in 2004. Done for challenges to add some dry storage inside.

I used rear windows for the sides. Someone used to sell a fibreglass section you could fix to a chopped down standard roof. North off road?

5075911802_d56789dc62.jpgDSC00062a by Scgwhite, on Flickr

Body cappings were cut and shut backwards and rivetted on. Lower bulkhead was the original, again moved back.

5075313447_ba02301898.jpgDSC00077 by Scgwhite, on Flickr

Inside - I used a standard truck cab roof but it was a bit of a bodge. Side panels were folded by a local sheet metal fabricators.

5075312893_3f8d2767c6.jpgDSC00075 by Scgwhite, on Flickr

5075910072_28a14d7eb9.jpgDSC00071 by Scgwhite, on Flickr

Hi, I am doing one just right now. If you have a 90 van roof you can use that roof to fabricate the new roof. I will upload photos to show you how. You will need some aluminum welding. But not too difficult. The different from SiWhite's will be the height. The height of a van roof is some 2 or 3 inch higher than that of a truck cab.

Colvert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am doing one just right now. If you have a 90 van roof you can use that roof to fabricate the new roof. I will upload photos to show you how. You will need some aluminum welding. But not too difficult. The different from SiWhite's will be the height. The height of a van roof is some 2 or 3 inch higher than that of a truck cab.

Colvert

Any pics of how your getting on Colvert??

Many thanks!

I did mine in 2004. Done for challenges to add some dry storage inside.

I used rear windows for the sides. Someone used to sell a fibreglass section you could fix to a chopped down standard roof. North off road?

Body cappings were cut and shut backwards and rivetted on. Lower bulkhead was the original, again moved back.

Inside - I used a standard truck cab roof but it was a bit of a bodge. Side panels were folded by a local sheet metal fabricators.

It was North offroad that were selling the fibreglass roof bits :).

Nice to see some more pictures of my truck in its old guise :)

I converted my 90 hardtop to a kingcab for challenges so I could have some storage inside and not have the seat so vertical which is always the problem in truck cabs. Hopefully attached are some pics. I just peeled off the rear section then cut out a big chunk from roof and sides then riveted the back part back on. Chopped a small section off the rear door then it fitted in fine. Made some panels for the corners and some extra bolt holes to hold it all down. Probably if I was organised, I might have got some little windows for the sides to give more visibility but it is not bad. I left my original bulkhead in place so easy to revert to other roofs if just get a replacement.

th_IMG_0750.jpg

th_IMG_0797.jpg

Cheers.

Give brookwells a ring, I got a rear bulkhead from them at a jumble for 20quid. makes life easier when trying to fill in the new void below the rear window. Have a look on ebay for a old series catflap door. I cut my old full door down which is a bit more hassle. If your carefull its possible to take a full door apart & just use the top half. The skin was in to parts on mine then I just folded the lower edge of the skin over the new lower frame. I did take pics. ill try &find them & post them up. Treebloke did the conversion on his, if you do a search should turn up some results