• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 del

del

• Settled In
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:36 PM

hi all would overfilling my 200 tdi cause it to missfire and plume out blue smoke?

#2 mickeyw

mickeyw

Petrol Head

• Long Term Supporters
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:41 PM

hi all would overfilling my 200 tdi cause it to missfire and plume out blue smoke?

How much have you overfilled it by? Lots too much will definitely cause excessive smoking. I'm not sure about the mis-fire, but if it's developed since you overfilled, it could well be the cause.

Michael

1986 Ninety 3.9 EFI Auto LPG 'Jolted' | 1990 Range Rover Vogue SE Auto LPG | 1986 One-Ten CSW V8 LPG

#3 del

del

• Settled In
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:04 PM

I think ive put in about a litre too much, but it was smoking before i changed the oil ,thought it might be the injectors that were at fault but had those checked and adjusted and the were ok. So im thinking its the oil piston rings letting oil into the combustion chambers causing a missfire and smoke

#4 PaulN

PaulN

Old Hand

• Supporters
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:48 PM

Presumably you've let out a couple of litres (whilst on level ground) and then added new fresh oil up to the correct position on dipstick to to see if symptoms persist.....
You may have excessive oil splash getting into breathers routing itself into induction and turbo! That'll smoke!:o

1994 300 Tdi Discovery 1 (AUTO), 1996 300 Tdi Discovery 1,  1988 Defender 90 V8 (Soon to be a 300tdi!!)
Don't save for the future - Someone will lose it for you!

#5 eds

eds

Old Hand

• Supporters
  • 458 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:59 PM

Worth checking the accuracy of your dip stick too as 200 tdi have a known fault with the tube slipping.............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users