Power Door Lock on Old Style Rear Door

I am adding power locks to the front two doors and would love to add it to the back door as well. I'd like to know if anyone has been able to fit a power lock to the old style rear door. I know I would need a new locking mechanism that would accommodate the actuator (anyone have a part number?). I'd like to hear from anyone that has done it or knows how it can be done. Of course I could just buy a new TD5 style rear door but that would be a lot of $$ just for power locks.

Thanks,

Eric.

I did my rear door like this : -

Removed lock and drilled out the rivets to open it, removed the lock lever and bent the tab inside : -

post-13593-0-48552000-1296685889_thumb.jpg

Drilled a hole through the bottom of the case to pass the operating rod through : -

post-13593-0-48552000-1296685889_thumb.jpg

Then stuck it back on the door along with the actuator and adjustable extension rod : -

post-13593-0-47779500-1296686198_thumb.jpg

I tried the first method (the one in the linked thread there) last week but it wasn't working very well at all. I couldn't get the actuator to move the tab up, down wasn't a problem but it didn't like going up. Might be worn inside the mechanism, causing it to bind up somehow.

Anyway, I'm going to try crwoody's method next, will report back when done. Getting tired of having to unlock and lock the rear door manually :(

You guys are awesome! Thank you for the responses. I am going to try the above method with my current door and latch. I am thinking I will order the Spal kit (http://www.spalusa.com/store/main.aspx?p=itemdetail&item=37000176) but does anyone know if this kit will allow you to add a power locking button on the dash?

doubt it, can't see any reason for power locking the doors when the vehicle is occupied, just unlock which ever door you need.

Ralph - probably no reason to in Cornwall, but in some places, it's definately advisable :unsure:

I'm not familiar with the wiring of the SPAL kit, but I wouldn't think that it would be too difficult to add a Lock/Unlock switch on the dash.

The SPAL kit was fitted to my old 110, and I had cause to sort out the wiring. It's the same setup as the Maplin kit (wiring diagram attached) in that one of the switching wires is pulled to ground to action lock/unlock. In the Maplin circuit, these are white or brown to ground (black). Sorry, can't remember the wire colours for SPAL but a bit of poking the wiring will soon give results.

Maplin Central Locking YD77.pdf

I would imagine that (unless the kit had an input specifically for this purpose) just actuating the master solenoid (driver's door) would cause the rest to follow suit. Same as if you lock the driver's door manually, it locks the rest.

If I were in a situation where I wanted to lock the doors from inside the vehicle I would just push the button on the keyfob though. Saves a button on the dash :P

Dave S11A

Can the SPAL kits be linked into the Defender alarm/immobiliser ECU so has not to have two fobs? dry.gif

Yes, they do an interface box. IIRC, it requires a negative going pulse. Unfortunately I sold the vehicle some three years back, so no longer have access to the hardware. There used to be some good info on the SPAL USA web site, so that might be a good starting point.

FYI, SPAL do/did an electric window kit that works on earlier Td5's, 300Tdi's, etc. This can also be interfaced to alarm system for automatic window closure.

called spal today and they said their unit AS-80 cannot wire a central door lock button. They said they recommend using their locking units but replacing the keyless unit with something that will allow you to do that. Said this is a common set up for people that want to install an alarm. They will use the spal actuators and parts then wire them to the alarm module or their choice.

The_eaze

Cheers for your efforts. Do you have a contact number and name as this will ease the process of wadeing through the 'mire' of 'I'll put you onto somebody that can help you with that'!!

Just like to know if I can use the prsent Land Rover alarm/immobiliser with an aftermarket central locking system.

E-mailed them with the possibility of using their central locking system along with their aftermarket electric windows, they responded that their 'technical department' said that there was not enough room to fit both bsystems??? Anybody know better??

It is possible to use the existing alarm fob. But as has already been said the Spal kit needs a negative pulse to activate the solenoids and the Land Rover 10as box kicks out a posetive pulse. This is easy enough to change with a coulpe of relays though.

Let me know if you want a wiring diagram of what i did to get mine working with the factory fit alarm!!

HTH

Simon

Right, I have just had a crack at fitting central locking actuators to the doors of my 110. 1983 CSW Safari doors.

Problem: Actuator not powerful to move the locking pin on the back door.

Solution: take apart lock to remove spring which is loading locking pin.

Problem: can't get lock back together again. Although I filed off two rivets, that shouldn't be a problem. I just can't work out how it all goes back together again.

Has anyone done this ? And even better, did anyone take a photo ;-)

Cheers,

Vulch