R380 gearbox differences

Hi

I'm after a defender R380 gearbox and was wondering if it's possible to convert a disco R380 to suit a defender :unsure:

I've seen this here and wondered if it's right ?

I've used the search option as well but it appears to be a job to get a definitive answer :ph34r:

Cheers

Gary

it is possible to use a Disco R380 but the gearlevers will be where the front of the centre seat or cubbybox sits or the box can be stripped & converted to accept the Defender gearlevers, probably much easier to find a correct spec Defender R380.

The link you posted is correct, it's quite an involved job:

5speeds.jpg

Thanks for that FF ;) , will give it a whirl if I can't source a defender r380 for reasonable money :rolleyes: .

Has anybody got a part no for the "quadrant on the gear selector shaft" ?

Cheers

Gary

Am I missing something here? Surely the input shaft is longer so you will need the Disco bell housing, and the position of the transfer box will be further back and so the rear prop will need to be shorter and the front prop longer?

Or am I being a little thick..

for the part numbers go to the 'request for part numbers forum' in the top of the thread list is a pinned link to a online Microcat parts list/diagrams & another link to parts books/workshop manuals.

Cheers Ralph , I'll give it a whirl :D

Am I missing something here? Surely the input shaft is longer so you will need the Disco bell housing, and the position of the transfer box will be further back and so the rear prop will need to be shorter and the front prop longer?

Or am I being a little thick..

I'll have a disco bellhousing with the box I purchase (I hope !)so hopefully everything will be tickety boo (famous last words) :ph34r: